Royal Purple HPS 5w20, 5,500mi, 2008 Mazda CX-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. This is my first time posting and my first UOA. Prior to this OCI I had never done an oil change myself, just had the cars serviced at a local garage that we trusted. If I had known that doing an oil change myself was easier than posting a UOA on BITOG.com I would have started doing them long ago
laugh.gif

Anyways, here's the results from Blackstone. I have no idea what oil the garage had been putting in the engine prior to the Royal Purple HPS. This car is mainly used for lots of short stop and go trips around town. Taking kids to school and sports, running errands, and short 5mi commutes to work. It does get a good highway drive twice a month.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

(p.s. I had a Royal Purple Max ATF UOA done too and will be posting it in the appropriate forum)

Last edited:
Wear metals seem really high on a car that old with that many miles. I'd try a heavier oil,maybe try a 10W30 mineral like Pennzoil,do a uoa,and compare numbers.

If I understand correctly going up to a 30w would only hurt our mpg. But since we do mainly stop and go driving we probably wouldn't even notice?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wear metals seem really high on a car that old with that many miles. I'd try a heavier oil,maybe try a 10W30 mineral like Pennzoil,do a uoa,and compare numbers.

Thanks for the suggestion.

This car is parked in the garage over night so a 10w30 shouldn't hurt cold starts?

Thanks for posting. I have 12 quarts of this stuff ready to use in the Scion, and there is hardly any info on the 5W-20 HPS out there right now.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Thanks for the suggestion.

This car is parked in the garage over night so a 10w30 shouldn't hurt cold starts?

Nope,won't hurt a thing.

Originally Posted By: RedVic
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Thanks for posting. I have 12 quarts of this stuff ready to use in the Scion, and there is hardly any info on the 5W-20 HPS out there right now.

Here is my report using the Royal Purple 5w-20 HPS in my Mazda 6.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...e_H#Post3708873

Read your UOA. Do you think that the Sodium that Blackstone mentions in mine is from the RP HPS and not the previous oil fill?

there is a lot of information out there on that oil but it isn't called Royal Purple HPS. This oil is the same as the previous street oil that was merely API SL. You have to go back a couple of years but lots of data on your 5W20 on this site.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

there is a lot of information out there on that oil but it isn't called Royal Purple HPS. This oil is the same as the previous street oil that was merely API SL. You have to go back a couple of years but lots of data on your 5W20 on this site.

I believe SL oils were limited to 1000ppm phosphorus. This is WAY above that limit.

Originally Posted By: WANG
No need to change anything, especially after only one UOA.
Thanks for sharing!

Exactly. You don't have any developed trends so changing oil and comparing wear metals is absurd.
Hps is great oil. In my opinion one of the best available. And wear isn't measurable via a used oil analysis. Run 100000 miles with the stuff,develop wear trends then mix it up.
Every engine wears differently so comparing one vs another is a fools errand and dumb. You've got to establish trends for your engine then if you get some kind of spike you can infer a problem. Arbitrarily comparing one used oil analysis with another using a different oil and actually believing 10ppm makes a difference is truly laughable.

Establish trends over a hundred thousand miles or so then compare these trends against each subsequent used oil analysis and watch for anomalies.
Taking 2 used oil analysis with different oils and comparing wear metals is absurd and will in no way paint an accurate picture of what's going on.

My question is why are you using HPS? Your 2008 Mazda, I think calls for API SM, which limits Phosphorus to 800ppm. Many UOA's support the fact that wear #'s on SM/SN oils equal or are lower than their SL and older specs counterparts. 1100+ ph is in diesel and flat tappet territory. Also phosphorus is known to poison and shorten the life of the CAT's. Unless you have a modified engine with no CAT's, there is really no reason to run an oil with that level of phosphorus....JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back