2010 Camry, Amsoil Signature 0W-20, 5496 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This UOA is for my 2010 Camry. I changed the oil early because I am taking the car cross country and wanted to do all maintenance before the car leaves.

I am confident the high silicon is not from the air filter. I changed it right before this UOA, and took extra care to be sure the edges of the filter sealed well - I used K&N air filter grease around the edges of the filter to ensure a good seal.

Looks great to me! If Amsoil was less expensive I would give it a try! I love the add pack in this stuff.

5000 miles on a 25000 mile oil and was changed because of a trip.

That makes no sense. Drain serviceable oil just to put in serviceable oil,and pay more for long drain oil but run it to conventional oil miles.

Then pay 30 bucks so you can be advised the oil was still serviceable.

Interesting.

I do this because it *is* interesting. I have never claimed the products I use or the regimen that I follow is the most cost-effective. And by the way, the UOA is closer to $45, because I had both TBN and TAN performed.

Also, Amsoil says 25,000 miles, or one year, whichever comes first. For me, time always comes well before miles. So I went 7 months on a 12 month oil. So, yes, I changed it out early.

My daughter is taking the car. I'll be 3,000 miles away from her, and unable to assist with any maintenance the car requires. I wanted all maintenance to be up to date so she wouldn't have to mess with it for as long as possible.

If I hadn't done this, it would need an oil change in October. Now, it won't need one until May of 2016.

Last edited:
dbias -

The filter is a Wix paper filter, not a K&N. I used K&N air filter grease around the edges of the paper filter to try to improve sealing around the edges, in case that is what was causing the earlier UOA high-silicon readings. It did not help. So I do not think the high silicon reading is from dirty air. I am pretty confident it is from sealers used in the engine internally. I've seen this before on Toyota and Lexus engines.

Don't clean the K&N but every 25-30k and you'll be fine. But M1 0-20 would work as will for your application, changing the oil filter every other oil Change.

Could have done another 5K but hey its your money and I never tell someone else how to spend it report looks great.

first point: read the bloody post first before adding your 2 cents---because if you did, you would see he just used KN grease

second point: BTanchors has contributed more to this forum in sharing UOA than anyone I can think of. If he wants to change the oil early, so-be-it. Did Dave Newton clone himself so we now have OCI watchdogs?

I am in perfect agreement with what OP did--thanks for sharing

steve20,

Thanks for your comments...I really do enjoy trying new things and sharing UOAs. To be really fair, Clevy (and others) have a point. Wasting resources is something to be avoided. Had it not been for my daughter taking possession of this car, I would have left this oil in until at least 10K miles.

I also did not do a good job explaining the situation...When the car goes from the East Coast (Virginia) all the way to the West Coast, the car will remain at its destination. I will no longer be performing the maintenance on it. My young daughter will be driving it. That's why I changed the oil out early - this gives her a full year before it needs to be changed again. I did some other maintenance a bit too early for this reason - I don't want her having to perform maintenance right away when she gets out there. I'm sure if your young daughters were taking possession of a car you'd want it well-maintained before she takes it as well.

I'm always looking for new things to try. Hopefully I will come up with some other twist to contribute to this group. This is partly why I did some UOAs on factory fills in various components on my new Tacoma in some other recent threads.

Last edited:
I agree, thanks for sharing your UOA's btanchors!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back