School me on these newer toyota oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Who uses car company brand filters? No need to, there are so many good aftermarket options available...

toyota OEM cartridges are cheaper and better than those aftermarket options.

I do because OEM Toyota filters only cost $4.06 at the dealership. Work just fine.

Who uses car company brand filters? No need to, there are so many good aftermarket options available...

OMG!
We had a '67 Corona sedan. Four on the floor with a front bench seat.
The displacement was 78 X 78 mm per pot and was designated a 2R, IIRC.
By the early 'eighties, not even the Toyota dealers could find the oil filter for the thing, so it had an empty cannister.
I gave it 3K drains.
I did get a NOS fuel pump for it, though.
The box was labeled in Japanese characters.

There's really no reason for doing it. Using aftermarket brand oil and filters doesn't void your warranty, besides, I would bet a steak dinner that most, if not all of the car company branded oils and filters are made by aftermarket companies anyway...

I understand that I don't HAVE to use the manufacturers filters when under warranty. I just think it is one less thing to have to fight if anything should ever happen with one. GM had a bulletin out about two years ago that if an engine noise was heard, to first check the oil filter. It was found that some after market filters had failed and GM voided remaining power train warranty for the owners.

There was at least one owner who posted about a destroyed engine on the Enclave forum which was caused by a failed after market filter. GM did not repair the engine under warranty.

Other than having owned only one "foreign" car (Acura), we have always had Fords and GM's. Ford filters are more than sufficient, and so far I have still been able to use the "old" oil filters for the GM's, not the E-Core ones. Not expensive at all either when purchased other than at a dealership.

There really isn't much to them.

On the V6 ones, they have a square slot in the middle that allows you to drain the oil before removing the unit.

Both of them can use the Assenmacher cap wrench that is available from a variety of vendors. I use the one from Blue-Point, but it's a bit overpriced.

Whatever you do, just don't over tighten them. Most of them are torqued to 18 ft-lbs, which is barely more than hand tight. Over tightening will make the cartridges extremely difficult to remove.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Like I said, they're probably made by an aftermarket company anyway...I highly doubt Toyota makes oil filters...

Like I said, they're probably made by an aftermarket company anyway...I highly doubt Toyota makes oil filters...

no, you said car company brand filters. i can read.

no, you said car company brand filters. i can read.

Right, I said car company brand filters are probably made by some aftermarket company...what is it that confused you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back