Self Driving 18 Wheeler is now here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The future. Driver less cars will be safer than cars with drivers. 70% of fatal accidents are caused by poor/distracted driving. Summon a car from your smart phone.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
The future. Driver less cars will be safer than cars with drivers. 70% of fatal accidents are caused by poor/distracted driving. Summon a car from your smart phone.

I hope that's way way into the future. I enjoy driving. I hope this right is not slowly eroded away. Enthusiasts need to fight this.

I don't have a problem with safety backups, but is it really too much to pay a driver 25-50 bucks an hour?

I hope these vehicles are clearly marked so that you can avoid them.

They'll be trading human errors for software errors. Most humans when they see a problem have the instinct to avoid hurting someone else if they can. Good luck getting a computer to duplicate that.

Originally Posted By: panther427
Lets see it do its job in the oil fields. logging. Mining and heavy haul

That's a LONG way out. For now, they're just testing it on long, mostly-straight, thinly populated stretches of highway -- i.e. where it's easiest for the truck and least dangerous for anyone else.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I hope that's way way into the future. I enjoy driving. I hope this right is not slowly eroded away. Enthusiasts need to fight this.

Agreed 100%.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I don't have a problem with safety backups, but is it really too much to pay a driver 25-50 bucks an hour?

If this pans out like people think it will, it'll save the cost of a driver AND reduce fuel consumption AND improve safety.

Thanks for posting.

It will be very interesting to see how this develops.

Apart from fools trying to drive while playing with cell phones, I love to drive!

Last edited:
Interesting to see what happens. How about poor drivers being limited to using a 'driver less' car?

Had a few beers? Put your car in driver less mode and jump in the back.

I think for freight needs, this is a good idea.

If designed and configured properly (big IF), I would imagine safety would increase tremendously and also the drone trucks would not be required to stop between destinations for rest.

While I'm sorry for the job losses that this will eventually cause, the writing is on the wall. Plenty of time right now for truckers to make suitable plans. Probably a decade or more in the future is my guess.

I know that if perfected, I'll feel a lot more safe on the roads. Why? Because on my daily commutes....not a single day passes without seeing or encountering a dangerously erratic semi driver. I used to think those guys were great....twenty plus years ago. Not now.

This concept isn't really new technology. Year ago I was working in a warehouse where they had fork trucks that would follow a sensors signal buried in the floor ,and it would go pick orders all by itself. If anything was in it's way it would stop, and wait until it was clear to go. So to have trucks that basically shuttle back and forth in say a mining operation,This would be the perfect application for self driving vehicles.,,

Anyone old enough to remember the made for TV movie "Duel" with Dennis Weaver?

Time for a sequel with a robot truck, I think.

My biggest concern is that, as a human, I can anticipate things that a computer can't yet. A few months ago, I had the "textbook" ball in the road situation happen, for example; you know, ball bounces into the road from behind a truck in a driveway. Because I have the ability to anticipate, I slowed and covered my brake pedal. Sure enough, our runs a three or four year old, not a care in the world. Would a driverless car have run over the kid? I'm not sure. And that's a really simple situation to anticipate.

Years ago, I was driving down the highway. A truck up ahead, quite a bit up ahead, blew its motor. Smoke everywhere. I knew that meant oil could be on the road, so I slowed to nearly a crawl. Sure enough, oil everywhere, very slick roadway. There is no way a driverless vehicle could have known that. Or is there?

Anyhow, in concept, I support these technology solutions to our problems. But I am also a little weary. Cars and trucks are dangerous devices and humans are hard to replace.

robert

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Does it come with an autonomous middle finger if I cut it off?

Of course not. It just emails your license plate to the police!

robert

Originally Posted By: Burt

Mid-1970's I believe.

I think it was an early Spielberg film.

Originally Posted By: Burt

Yes, "Duel" was one of the first movies that Steven Spielberg made.

There was also the feature film "Maximum Overdrive" that had robo trucks terrorizing citizens at a truck stop.

The Benz boys have nice deep pockets for when the autotruck jackknifes on a slippery road and wipes out a minivan for they,in fact, will be the "driver".

That video was nothing more than Freightliner marketing. I say test it on freezing rain and that should close debate about it's safety. The only way this could seem plausible and safe would be if the R&D department tested it on a closed course, where they could doctor the odds of its success with perfectly predicable obstacles. Real life is full of unpredictable obstacles that only a human operator can comprehend. These things would turn into kamikaze suicide machines during daily driving.

Why is Freightliner even doing R&D on this when the same company cannot even produce a semi-reliable emissions system. During the winter my 2012 Freightliner Cascadia visits the company maintenance shop every single day - no word of a lie here folks. It reliably fails every single night and every morning I return it to the mechanics with a plugged up DPF. Every other Freightliner in the fleet is the same. Freightliner corporate has no solution for us either, they don't even know what to do with there own truck designs.

For those of us who work in the trucking industry and are familiar with the various truck manufacturers, we are laughing at this concept. Especially when a bottom end manufacturer like Freightliner is involved in the R&D somehow. The only thing more laughable would be Navistar (International) trying to build a self driving truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back