Cop Sues Starbucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of greedy morons like him, we will all be served lukewarm coffee pretty soon.
frown.gif

I agree, a greedy idiot. There's millions of them. Until we change how money works, we're in a lot of trouble.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Because of greedy morons like him, we will all be served lukewarm coffee pretty soon.
frown.gif

Starbucks coffee is usually lukewarm anyway. I always ask for it extra hot and even then, its not as hot as I like.

I had breakfast at McDonald's Sunday morning. I now understand why the lady sued them.

Yes, coffee is hot. McDonald's coffee is something entirely different; it's nuclear hot.

It had to sit MORE THAN AN HOUR before it was to the point I could drink it without burning myself!

Quote:
The North Carolina police lieutenant, who is suing Starbucks after burning himself when his free cup of coffee spilled.

Guess no more free coffee for cops at that Starbucks!

Apparently he can't handle the Free Stuff. At least he didn't choke on the doughnut.......

"burning himself when his free cup of coffee spilled"

Quote:
A Snohomish, WA police officer has filed a lawsuit against the owner of Krispy Kreme, claiming the 12 donuts he consumed caused him to go into sugar coma and prevented him from being able to go to the restroom. The plaintiff stated he was not explicitly informed at the time of sale that donuts were made of sugar.

Cop gets a free coffee from Starbucks (likely every day), places the cup between his legs in his groin area (probably while driving), spills it on himself, and then files a lawsuit for 750K. What an idiot.

We've fostered a large segment of society that blames everyone else for something as dumb as slurping down coffee that is too hot. Most intelligent people would have waited to drink it after touching their tongue to the coffee and realizing how hot it was. Somehow millions of people manage not to get burned by coffee (or any other hot liquid) every day.

This is the sort of thing that drives up business costs. Business owners have to spend inordinate amounts of time figuring out how to idiot proof themselves.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I had breakfast at McDonald's Sunday morning.

There's your first mistake.
It had to sit MORE THAN AN HOUR before it was to the point I could drink it without burning myself!

So rather than walk over to the soda machine and get a couple pieces of ice from the dispenser and put it into the cup, you chose to sit there for "more than an hour" staring at a cup of coffee, in a styrofoam cup designed to keep it hot as long as possible, hoping it would cool off all by itself?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Quote:
A Snohomish, WA police officer has filed a lawsuit against the owner of Krispy Kreme, claiming the 12 donuts he consumed caused him to go into sugar coma and prevented him from being able to go to the restroom. The plaintiff stated he was not explicitly informed at the time of sale that donuts were made of sugar.

Link?

I had breakfast at McDonald's Sunday morning. I now understand why the lady sued them.

Yes, coffee is hot. McDonald's coffee is something entirely different; it's nuclear hot.

I thought they started selling it more cool?

Read the snopes article on this (if you can stomach the popups), I thought it was a good read.

I get the 'coffee is supposed to be hot... what an idiot' crowd, I really do. But here is the deal. Nobody should be giving a customer a cup of coffee hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns in less than a few seconds. Coffee is supposed to be ready to drink as soon as they hand it to you, isn't it? If they gave him a cup of coffee hot enough to severely injure him, they were negligent.

The state health departments need to step in. They effectively regulate the rest of the foodservice industry in order to prevent people from getting food poisoning, they should also regulate the temperature at which customers' coffee can be served in order to prevent people from getting seriously injured. This will accomplish two things:

1) no more frivolous lawsuits if the establishment can demonstrate the coffee was served at an appropriate temperature.
2) people will stop getting burned.

win-win

For the record, I don't drink coffee.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Cop gets a free coffee from Starbucks (likely every day), places the cup between his legs in his groin area (probably while driving), spills it on himself, and then files a lawsuit for 750K. What an idiot.

Yes, it would be very helpful if the story mentioned if the cop was IN the Starbucks (seated or ?) or in his car, and how exactly it spilled (spilled while handling, driving, held with legs, etc).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I get the 'coffee is supposed to be hot... what an idiot' crowd, I really do. But here is the deal. Nobody should be giving a customer a cup of coffee hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns in less than a few seconds. Coffee is supposed to be ready to drink as soon as they hand it to you, isn't it? If they gave him a cup of coffee hot enough to severely injure him, they were negligent.

i do agree sometimes those places serve coffee that too hot for my taste. but if i have an idiot moment and burn myself, i'm going to blame myself and not go and sue everyone else. simple common sense stuff (in short supply in this country).

how about this one:

Quote:
NEW YORK — A diner who sued Applebee’s after burning his face on a platter of fajitas got his lawsuit tossed out by an appellate court in New Jersey.

Hiram Jimenez filed a lawsuit in 2010 after bowing his head in prayer only to burn his face on the sizzling meat at Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill and Bar in Westhampton, N.J., near Philadelphia.

He sought damages against the Apple American Group, the franchisee that owns and operates the restaurant, according to Applebee’s.

But an appellate court judge wasn’t buying Jimenez’ claim that restaurant workers failed to adequately warn him of the hazards of the sizzling fajitas, on the basis that the dangers were “self-evident.”

A lawyer for Jimenez, Richard Weiner of Conshohocken, did not return messages from CNNMoney.

The suit brings to mind various high profile lawsuits versus restaurants. An Albuquerque woman successfully sued McDonald’s in 1992 after getting severely burned by coffee. A Las Vegas woman was less successful in her 2005 lawsuit versus Wendy’s after finding a severed finger in her chili, because police determined it was a hoax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back