HR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found in my inbox this morning: HR-V review and photos.

I’m not sure on this one. I think it looks better than the current CRV, but not crazy about the front end.

At the gas station last night I was near a prior gen CR-V, and realized how short it was; I guess having my full sized monster truck these days warps my view of things, but it struck me as small, nimble. The current CR-V is 179” long, this HR-V is 169” long. So I wonder if it will feel nimble, lively—but ultimately jittery on long drives.

Photos:
http://wardsauto.com/test-drives/16-hond..._images-1264901

Review:
http://wardsauto.com/test-drives/honda-hr-v-generous-interior-space-trumps-so-so-powertrain?page=1

I saw it at NYIAS. I liked it!

I don't like the little swoop up in the back that is showing up on the back doors of trucks and mini SUVs

I like the concept of the HR-V. It's probably a little too short in length for my family...not enough capacity in the back to carry the stuff we often carry (like an 80 pound dog behind the back seat, etc).

One thing I don't like about the CR-V's styling (especially that of my own) is the rear end...it visually sits low and looks a little dumpy. I really like how tidy the HR-V's styling is in the back...how the rear wheel house area is nicely brought up to the rear bumper area.

It is somewhat uncommon to find stick shifts these days and the HR-V is offered with a slick 6-speed manual. The Car & Driver review has high praise for the HR-V's chassis dynamics and ride-and-handling:

Originally Posted By: http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/hr-v
The HR-V’s ride height sits in the happy middle ground between lifeguard-chair visibility and carlike handling. Wider and stickier tires help the HR-V achieve 0.85 g of lateral grip on the skidpad, well above the Fit’s 0.78 g. On the road, the HR-V corners with a precision and balance that suggests the work was done by an engineer who cared more than the job required. That is, compared to a segment that allows wide latitude for body roll, understeer, and general chassis apathy, the HR-V feels like a Volkswagen GTI of sorts. This little Honda has mastered body control, whether you’re talking about handling or ride quality. It invokes some of the best Hondas, with ride quality that will be appreciated by the everyman and handling that can be enjoyed by enthusiasts. That’s why the HR-V, like the Fit, is one of the best Hondas on sale today.

I like the look of the car, but it sounds like it doesn't have near enough power, and fuel economy should be higher. Also it's a CVT
37.gif
unless you want to row through 6 gears in traffic (I don't).

Saw one on the road a couple days ago. Looks distinctly Honda, and much better than the crv. I'm thinking it will sell very well.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
fuel economy should be higher.

How much higher should it be? At 28/35, it bests the super-small SUV competition, like the Buick Encore (25/33), Chevy Trax (26/34), Jeep Renegade (24/31), etc. I'm not sure that there's a non-hybrid small SUV that beats it.

For some reason I am fixated on small SUVs like the Encore and Soul, so I will be very interested to see this in person.

I think this form factor and size make a lot of sense for people who don't have kids to tote around.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
fuel economy should be higher.

How much higher should it be? At 28/35, it bests the super-small SUV competition, like the Buick Encore (25/33), Chevy Trax (26/34), Jeep Renegade (24/31), etc. I'm not sure that there's a non-hybrid small SUV that beats it.
The article says it gets 27/32 mpg. 28/35 actually is nice, I'd be happy with that.

does it have smart phone screen mirror feature? one of the picture shows weather graph on the screen.

The article says it gets 27/32 mpg. 28/35 actually is nice, I'd be happy with that.

There are a few drivetrain combinations here. According to fueleconomy.gov:

2WD CVT: 28/35
2WD 6MT: 25/34

AWD CVT: 27/32

I wager that the 2WD/CVT combination will be the most prevalent, so that's the example I gave. However, talking AWD CUVs, the HR-V (27/32) still handily beats the Buick Encore (23/30), the Chevy Trax (24/31), and the Jeep Renegade 9AT (21/29) and 6MT (24/31, premium req'd).

I'm not saying that it will or won't be a good car, but in terms of fuel economy, it looks to lead the segment at this moment (which you might expect, because it is also likely the least powerful as well).

I forgot about Subaru XV Crosstrek. It is 26/34 for AT and 23/31 for 6MT. AWD/MT is not a combination offered by HR-V, so that's a plus for Subaru. The Mazda CX-3 will also be a competitor, but I don't see fuel economy data for it, yet. Car & Driver estimates it at 29/35 for FWD and 27/32 for AWD, which would edge the HR-V in FWD trim.

Are they going to offer it with a manual transmission at all?

Edit: Just checked Honda's website - looks like they are going to be offering a FWD , manual transmission model. Nice!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I think this form factor and size make a lot of sense for people who don't have kids to tote around.

We found the Tracker fine before kids and stuff like a washer, dryer, dishwasher, fit in it snuggly. I suspect some of these new unit body ones don't have the rear gate opening big enough though. We wanted and use the 2 speed transfer case in the Tracker fairly often which only the Jeep offers anymore. The short length is handy on the trail and in the parking lots too.
I think I still would rather have a wagon, if I was looking just for a 2wd CUV though. It would be an interesting comparison to see how the new golf wagon matches up to all the CUVs.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think I still would rather have a wagon, if I was looking just for a 2wd CUV though. It would be an interesting comparison to see how the new golf wagon matches up to all the CUVs.

Same here. Golf Wagen has 66.5 cu ft of cargo space and a nice interior. 25/36 mpg gasoline, 31/43 diesel.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Same here. Golf Wagen has 66.5 cu ft of cargo space and a nice interior. 25/36 mpg gasoline, 31/43 diesel.

...and, you get modern VW reliability and resale value.
None and minimal.

Latest edition of Wheels magazine has a comparison of the baby soft roaders - HRV and Mazda CX3 were both scored 8/10, equal highest, but the verdict was they'd take the Mazda due to its better dynamics.

The Mazda was much faster - over a second quicker on the 0-400m test - and slightly better on fuel. Having looked at each of them at the dealers recently, in my opinion the Mazda is gorgeous, while the Honda is pretty bland.

Should've specified, these were the petrol versions. CX3 is available here in diesel too, and the HRV diesel is expected before the end of the year. Don't know if the US gets the diesel option...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

...and, you get modern VW reliability and resale value.
None and minimal.

Reliability remains to be seen. But yes, these things certainly need to be factored into one's purchasing decision. If all you care about is reliability and resale value, there certainly is no reason to look at a VW.

AWD, Honda, and 30 mpg highway for about $25k? I know what I'll be dodging in traffic next. Should sell like crazy up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back