Contemplating a Tacoma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...unfortunately, I think I need to seriously consider replacing my Dak. It has 180,000 miles...and more critically, it is rusting away.
frown.gif
(I'm also not enamored of the 3.90 gears and the resulting 17mpg.) Because I want a base-model (4 cyl/5-speed 2WD regular cab) truck, my options seem to basically be a Tacoma or a rare 5-speed Ranger.

Anyone know good Tacoma sites? I'm on tacomaworld.com-any others?

What surprised me is that the Tacoma still has rear drums and will on the 2017 model. I hate to work on drum brakes. That said probably need to replace them every 90,000 miles, so it's not that bad.

I replaced a 2001 Dakota with a 2008 Tacoma. They're wonderfully reliable, with just a few quirks. At least in 2008, the ABS was ultra sensitive. It would remove all braking power during any wheel slip. Some guys pulled the ABS fuse during winter after sailing past one too many stop signs.

I think Tacomaworld was the site I frequented.

Rear drums on my 4 Runner made it to about 180,000.

They're properly adjusted, which on Toyotas requires setting the parking brake.

I've driven a 2014 Tacoma. I really liked it. A quality piece. Just the right size.

I like it better than the new 4 Runner, which is blocky and bloated looking.

And you can still get a manual.

As far as the base model goes, I had a 2005 Tacoma 4 cyl/5 speed. My friend had the same truck but with a 6 cyl. They got the same exact gas mileage, and the 6 cyl truck had way more power. I'd opt for the 6 cyl if possible.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
What surprised me is that the Tacoma still has rear drums and will on the 2017 model. I hate to work on drum brakes. That said probably need to replace them every 90,000 miles, so it's not that bad.

Funny.

Back when I sold Fords, customers complained about the rear disks on the f150 stating "what a stupid idea, do you know how much crud and dirt will get lodged in those rear brakes when off road?".

Why not a Colorado? Rated far better and better value overall
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Colorado/

the tacoma is overpriced, overhyped, underpowered and overall a disappointment.

I hate drum brakes. 3rd world cost saving nonsense. But they are cheaper to operate than rear discs here in the rustbelt. Rear discs always seem to require new calipers and rotors every 30K miles. Drums work, marginally, for the first 100K miles without issue (and then never work again nomatter how many professionals fix them ...).

I could go for a 4cyl 5 speed Tacoma!

I would not have guessed you for a Tacoma guy.

Sorry, got nothing else. I ruled out Tacoma and have not kept up. Good luck in searching, if looking used the usual rust worries apply.

Want to say I have heard of little to none of the water pump issues that the other yodas get.

I own a 2013 Prerunner with a 6 cylinder and 5 speed auto. I get an average of 18 mpg in that configuration, and I'm okay with that.
It's a bit thin in most interior details with lots of plastic, but it's a truck, and I'm okay with that. The drive train is bulletproof, even if some try to make the trans care overly fussy and others complain about drum brakes in the rear.
I've bought Toyota pickups for nearly thirty years, and I would not hesitate to buy another Tacoma for a minute.

I've got the 4x4, 4 cyl, manual, reg cab base model Tacoma from 2000. Probably the most trouble free vehicle I have owned. Mine is good for 20-22.5 mpg which is a far cry from what the 6's will get. The 2x4 version should net you at least 25 and on the highway closer to 30 if you're nice with it.

Clark

Originally Posted By: Miller88
But they are cheaper to operate than rear discs here in the rustbelt. Rear discs always seem to require new calipers and rotors every 30K miles.

Never had a problem with rear calipers/discs on any of my GM GMT800 (99-06) trucks.

Rear disc pads go at least 80,000 miles.

They did make 2wd Dakotas with 2.5-4 from JEEP with manual trannys....just saying...

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

The couple Ive had were pretty bad trucks and way over priced. Just buy a used something else.

I had a 4x4 5speed reg cab and a 4x2 reg cab auto.

Last edited:
I hate drum brakes. 3rd world cost saving nonsense. But they are cheaper to operate than rear discs here in the rustbelt. Rear discs always seem to require new calipers and rotors every 30K miles. Drums work, marginally, for the first 100K miles without issue (and then never work again nomatter how many professionals fix them ...).

I've never met a set of passenger car/truck drum brakes I couldn't get back into working order. I think you need to find a better "professional".

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
As far as the base model goes, I had a 2005 Tacoma 4 cyl/5 speed. My friend had the same truck but with a 6 cyl. They got the same exact gas mileage, and the 6 cyl truck had way more power. I'd opt for the 6 cyl if possible.

I'm not sure they ever offered a V6 in a regular cab 2WD truck. (If so...I bet its a barn-burner!) Every RC I've seen was a 4-banger.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

The couple Ive had were pretty bad trucks and way over priced. Just buy a used something else.

I had a 4x4 5speed reg cab and a 4x2 reg cab auto.

There IS nothing else. I want a compact truck (rules out a later Dakota) with a regular cab (rules out a Frontier) and standard shift (rules out a Colorado and most Rangers). I also want a base model (crank windows, rubber mats, and bench seat), which rules out most other trucks.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

I've never met a set of passenger car/truck drum brakes I couldn't get back into working order. I think you need to find a better "professional".

I think a lot of it has to do with the holes in the backing plate, and the whole backing plate itself, rusting away.

I did them myself this time. They *almost* work! Better than I have got before.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
There IS nothing else. I want a compact truck (rules out a later Dakota) with a regular cab (rules out a Frontier) and standard shift (rules out a Colorado and most Rangers). I also want a base model (crank windows, rubber mats, and bench seat), which rules out most other trucks.

Took me a while to find a nice one but don't count out Rangers yet. The Mazda version is also out there, that's what we bought. About 5k with low miles, 5 speed stick, and ac/ps. Nothing else, not even a radio (we added one later). My daughter has been beating on it for a while now and it is a wonderful little truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back