Gas vapaor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrotherMichigan
That's how all gasoline engines work. The liquid fuel doesn't burn, it's the fumes.

Okay. If you need help with the question try this.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
That's how all gasoline engines work. The liquid fuel doesn't burn, it's the fumes.

You mean LPG (Autogas)?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

You mean LPG (Autogas)?

I give up.

Has anyone experimented with running an internal combustion gasoline engine on gas vapor?

Yes, many people have done that.

Yep. I am a daredevil with regards to pushing my luck on running down the highway with an almost empty tank. My low gas light is on for 40-50 miles, and I have coasted into the gas station parking lot on fumes.

So he manufactured a carburetor that is 10 times larger than the stock carb...,.and......it can explode and kill him if the engine backfires...lol.

Next week he is going to work on a square whel..

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Last edited:
There are schemes for using waste heat to put the fuel through a phase change before it is pulled into the cylinder. They can be effective from the standpoint of assuring that the incoming charge is in a condition to be fully combusted.......But modern fuel injectors atomize the fuel to a degree that there is not a lot of efficiency to be gained.

Smokey Yunick (RIP, of NASCAR fame) did some interesting work with what he called "Adiabatic" versions of gasoline motors. To a great degree, these ideas are related, as they both have to do with minimizing wasted heat energy. But the safe operating envelope tends to get rather small.

I think the success of direct injection engines superceded exploration of the phase change concept, since the gains in efficiency hold more promise...... And the concepts are not really compatible with each other.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Smokey Yunick (RIP, of NASCAR fame) did some interesting work with what he called "Adiabatic" versions of gasoline motors. To a great degree, these ideas are related, as they both have to do with minimizing wasted heat energy. But the safe operating envelope tends to get rather small.

If I recall correctly, weren't these engines extremely short lived?

I've seen a ton of YouTube vids on this. Heck I saw a guy run a 3/4" rubber tube from his tank into his manifold and ran the truck on fumes.
Then he tried to drive it and it stalled immediately.
The engine ran so lean he did engine damage. Cel was on and flashing.

If it was a viable running condition cars would be using it. It's just that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back