ROYAL PURPLE 5w20 5200 miles 2014 f150 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal purple api 5w20 5200 miles and yes I skipped TBN I wanted to get wear numbers more than anything plan on running it 8k and dumping since I'm still finding a couple small shavings in the filter I'll push to 8k before I take the sample next time I pull alot of trailers and 90% of the time I run e85 since I get it free "I heard it makes a difference?" other than that the truck got a new air filter just before this oci started

Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-10_zpsahujjuif_edit_1430629539644.png_zpsdrqsye9e.jpeg

Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-37_zpsiupy5xca.png

Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-51_zpsuhqudgsc.png

Good looking UOA. RP always performs well. You may want to rethink the 8k mile OCIs though if you are always pulling heavy loads. That is a lot of potential stress on the motor IMHO. Looks good though. Thanks for the post!

Wear numbers?

You are aware that a used oil analysis cannot accurately measure wear,so in essence they are done to test the oils condition and whether there is contamination such as coolant.
So without trended data testing wear metals is basically pointless due to no knowing what your particular engine sheds.
Tbn is an important data point because it determines how much longer the oil is serviceable.
Do you plan on getting used oil analysis done every interval? That's the only way to develop trends and comparing those trends against the current report.

Thanks for posting.

Hi robo
Where do you get gas for free. I would like to stop in there and pick up some if I am ever in your area. Let me know. Thanks

Bob

For the most part wear numbers tell you nothing. More important is the condition of the oil. Dirt, fuel, coolant, viscosity.

Originally Posted By: robo339
Royal purple api 5w20 5200 miles and yes I skipped TBN I wanted to get wear numbers more than anything plan on running it 8k and dumping since I'm still finding a couple small shavings in the filter I'll push to 8k before I take the sample next time I pull alot of trailers and 90% of the time I run e85 since I get it free "I heard it makes a difference?" other than that the truck got a new air filter just before this oci started

Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-10_zpsahujjuif_edit_1430629539644.png_zpsdrqsye9e.jpeg

Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-37_zpsiupy5xca.png

Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-51_zpsuhqudgsc.png

Thought this would be interesting as I used Royal Purple HPS 5w-20 where as this poster used Royal Purple API 5w-20. Shows the difference between the two oils make up.

Code:
Royal Purple HPS 5w-20

Make Mazda 2.5 Liter NON SKYACTIVE

Miles on Oil: 7,716

Miles on Engine: 27,716

Make Up Oil Added: 0

Aluminum 5

Chromium 0

Iron 12

Copper 4

Lead 0

Tin 1

Molybdenum 109 Note: Former 4 fills was Mazda 0w-20 which is heavy in Moly)

Nickel 1

Manganese 1

Silver 0

Titanium 3

Potassium 3

Boron 10

Silicon 9

Sodium 360

Calcium 3242

Magnesium 13

Phosphorus 1177

Zinc 1408

Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 56.2 Value Should Be: 46-59

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 9.11 Value Should Be: 6.0-10.2

Flash Point 385 Value Should Be: >355

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0.0 Value Should Be
Water% 0.0 Value Should Be:
Insolubles% 0.3 Value Should Be:
TBN 5.1 Value Should Be: >1.0

Last edited:
So everyone is jumping on the complaining bandwagon already this morning lol I get the e85 from my company for free since I do alot of random "hey I need this" trips to the store so they fill it up every week and for the wear numbers it's a general term i use for the metals/addetives im not planning on really extended drain intervals I plan on doing many uoa's for this truck so don't get yall panties in a twist just yet in order to get trending data you have to start somewhere

Last edited:
So everyone is jumping on the complaining bandwagon already this morning lol I get the e85 from my company for free since I do alot of random "hey I need this" trips to the store so they fill it up every week and for the wear numbers it's a general term i use for the metals/addetives im not planning on really extended drain intervals I plan on doing many uoa's for this truck so don't get yall panties in a twist just yet in order to get trending data you have to start somewhere

Thanks for the info....I have always been curious as to - what kind of mpg are you seeing with the E85 vs gasoline? I know the gov puts out numbers but am wondering about real world.

Seeing that this is a brand new truck practically I'd say your UOA looks perfect! I'd keep using the RP and not look back.

Uhhhhhh e85 has its purpose I suppose but I get 3-4 less mpg but it has more get up an go I'm not going to go out of my way to find it lol if you get it at a good price like I do then I don't mind using it and thanks aquariuscsm I got my rp on sale so I can't complain one bit on the price got enough for two more changes so I plan on sticking with it

Uhhhhhh e85 has its purpose I suppose but I get 3-4 less mpg but it has more get up an go I'm not going to go out of my way to find it lol if you get it at a good price like I do then I don't mind using it and thanks aquariuscsm I got my rp on sale so I can't complain one bit on the price got enough for two more changes so I plan on sticking with it

With the two cars in the past I owned that was flex fuel I lost about 20% in mileage using E-85.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back