neighbor vandalized my floodlight, my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Oh no!

Time to get out the 12ga, a length of rope and call up the neighborhood wanna mall cop SWAT team for a good old fashioned lynching! This guy is obviously building up to a pyromaniacal, suicidal, blood loving murder spree (not necessarily in that order) and needs to dealt with immediately! Thankfully you have the castle doctrine to protect you and the mall SWAT members... /sarcasm

You really think it's time for sarcasm when the OP is being harassed like this??

It scared the guys wife half to death......and you think it's time to crack a joke?

Apparently you've never had a crazy neighbor that harasses and vandalizes your property before. That must be why you seem to have ZERO sympathy for the OP.

What should I crack out? The Browning M2 .50 caliber machine gun? Light that trespassing, property damaging son of a [censored] up!

I have little sympathy for him because instead of taking the high road and starting with attempting a friendly conversation in an attempt to reach a compromise, he choose to hunker down and take an equally childish, passive aggressive approach.

This very well could have been solved with a conversation. Now there is very little chance of that. Personally I feel that he's asking for it. The lighting is obnoxious, as is his behavior.

The sarcasm was directed at the all the keyboard warriors who are spouting guns this, castle doctrine that, beat em up, cuff em, stuff and and book em types who seem think that it's alright to lie in wait and burst out of the bushes to beat up the neighbor or blow him away to protect their property after they effectively baited him with even more obnoxious lighting. What absolute blithering idiots.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: hpb
Hey, Kiwi, don't go derailing this thread with commonsense...
smile.gif

Like the kind that would include the nutty neighbor just putting up some decent blinds?

If your neighbor starts playing trumpet, will you simply go and buy earplugs?

Excessive noise, especially at night, is disturbing the peace. And vandalism and harassment is against the law. A simple set of floodlights does nothing of the kind and from my experience....isn't against any ordinances unless so stated in an HOA.

Apples and oranges.

The police will very often HIGHLY recommend increased outdoor lighting as a preventative measure against burglaries.

Trumpets? Not so much...but nice try. Ever heard the term "Apples and Oranges"?

Ok, just wondering, kinda filtering through stuff here...

I was thinking-what if you turned off the floodlights for one night? The reason why is I wonder if by turning them off, then on, that he will either a) knock it off or 2) say something finally about it. If he is truely that upset about it, he might think for a moment that he won. Placing it back on might give more insight on what he might do....

That said, I question if this dude has a drug issue if the light bothers him so much. That's not really that bright-and if so, he could buy a 30 dollar thick roll down shade to fix his problem.....

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
There are professionals that design security lighting. I was hoping a pro would comment. My last installation was ~42 years ago. So I am not current. That said, "The Prudent Man Rules" probably have not changed:

1. Ground based threats need low level illumination directed at the lowest necessary height. Any flux higher is wasted and can be reflected from surrounding buildings, structures, vegetation, fog, dust, smoke etc back into the apertures of your home. Illuminating you and your family to intruders. All of my security lighting washes the exterior surfaces of our home with just enough illumination to id a threat. No rays shine into the forest. When it comes to the nut cutting, I don't want them to know my location. We are isolated in our wooded property, but our lighting is never on. That will be my little surprise if necessary.

All excellent points- especially number 1. It sure seems places are still lit as you had mentioned. It's too bad the surrounding neighbors have to suffer.

since it's too late to edit, I wanted to clarify my post a little. I agree with DoiInthanon's first point about how to properly use lighting for security, and I feel that it's too bad the O/P's neighbors have to suffer with poorly designed and implemented lighting.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Hey, Kiwi, don't go derailing this thread with commonsense...
smile.gif

Like the kind that would include the nutty neighbor just putting up some decent blinds?

If your neighbor starts playing trumpet, will you simply go and buy earplugs?

Excessive noise, especially at night, is disturbing the peace. And vandalism and harassment is against the law. A simple set of floodlights does nothing of the kind and from my experience....isn't against any ordinances unless so stated in an HOA.

Apples and oranges.

The police will very often HIGHLY recommend increased outdoor lighting as a preventative measure against burglaries.

Trumpets? Not so much...but nice try. Ever heard the term "Apples and Oranges"?

Bright lights may also disturb the peace. Show me one legit LEO who recommends shining your security lights provocatively through a neighbor's window. Of course, I won't argue with Mr Magoo.

Oh no!

Time to get out the 12ga, a length of rope and call up the neighborhood wanna mall cop SWAT team for a good old fashioned lynching! This guy is obviously building up to a pyromaniacal, suicidal, blood loving murder spree (not necessarily in that order) and needs to dealt with immediately! Thankfully you have the castle doctrine to protect you and the mall SWAT members... /sarcasm

You really think it's time for sarcasm when the OP is being harassed like this??

It scared the guys wife half to death......and you think it's time to crack a joke?

Apparently you've never had a crazy neighbor that harasses and vandalizes your property before. That must be why you seem to have ZERO sympathy for the OP.

What should I crack out? The Browning M2 .50 caliber machine gun? Light that trespassing, property damaging son of a [censored] up!

I have little sympathy for him because instead of taking the high road and starting with attempting a friendly conversation in an attempt to reach a compromise, he choose to hunker down and take an equally childish, passive aggressive approach.

This very well could have been solved with a conversation. Now there is very little chance of that. Personally I feel that he's asking for it. The lighting is obnoxious, as is his behavior.

The sarcasm was directed at the all the keyboard warriors who are spouting guns this, castle doctrine that, beat em up, cuff em, stuff and and book em types who seem think that it's alright to lie in wait and burst out of the bushes to beat up the neighbor or blow him away to protect their property after they effectively baited him with even more obnoxious lighting. What absolute blithering idiots.

Have to agree with some of this, simply due to a baby in the household. He does want change here (and I'm sure he's thought about kicking the guy's rear) but has added targets if this guys ends up as a nutjob....

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Looks like your neighbor can make himself a sandwich at 2 am without having to turn on the lights in his kitchen. Consider his energy savings thanks to your generosity.

This is what I suspected and why I asked him to post pictures. I would definitely have a problems with this. And he'd have more than a cracked water jug to worry about, as there are many legal ways to deal with this. The "perp" should just go to homeowners assn.

This is prison yard style lighting.

These are GE 23 watt CFL, 90 watt Par 38 bulbs. They were the lowest CFL bulbs I could find in the store. The bulbs are not aimed at his kitchen windows, there is no reflection. They are aimed at the fence/walkway/gate. Please see the video camera picture of the lighting. I would not consider 90 watt equivalent bulbs prison lighting.

You don't have to use Par 38 bulbs. I think regular bulbs would also fit, but they might not last as long. They do have 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs.

I think your bulbs are bright though. Not everyone wants to talk to their neighbor. You are escalating when you should be trying to defuse the situation. If your demands are that the neighbor talk to you, shouldn't you also be willing to go over there and asking if he saw anyone damage your light and if it bothers him?

I find it remarkable....yet illuminating (ok...couldn't resist the pun)....that so many on here just want to gloss over the fact that this crazy neighbor trespassed (more than a few times evidently) and vandalized the OP's property. Yet some on here talk about being a man about the entire thing and discussing it with this nut....yet in each example of this proposed discussion....they dont dare ask the guy directly why he did the vandalizing!? Is that adult-like and being a man? Just letting this guy have a pass so you "get along"?

Wow....no wonder people think they can get away with stuff.....because they do. These types of neighborhood weirdos must really enjoy the lengths people will do to "get along".

Last edited:

A simple set of floodlights does nothing of the kind and from my experience....isn't against any ordinances unless so stated in an HOA.

As is by Cutehumor's HOA?

I just got a message from the HOA property manager. She quoted the light rule about adjacent lighting spilling over property line.

Ed

I find it remarkable....yet illuminating (ok...couldn't resist the pun)....that so many on here just want to gloss over the fact that this crazy neighbor trespassed (more than a few times evidently) and vandalized the OP's property. Yet some on here talk about being a man about the entire thing and discussing it with this nut....yet in each example of this proposed discussion....they dont dare ask the guy directly why he did the vandalizing!? Is that adult-like and being a man? Just letting this guy have a pass so you "get along"?

Wow....no wonder people think they can get away with stuff.....because they do. These types of neighborhood weirdos must really enjoy the lengths people will do to "get along".

Bottom line-you should always try to start nice. It's called trying to be civil and not stoop to his level. When that doesn't work, well-it's time for action...

Exactly, if this kind of stuff was happening to the guys here that think it's not a big deal, I think they would be looking at it from a totally different viewpoint. Anyone who's dealt with a harassing and unstable neighbor knows it's no joke and could turn totally bad at any time. There have been many cases where neighbors have escalate back and forth to the point where a murder is the end result.

OP needs to bring this to the attention of the police department, so it's documented that something abnormal is going on by someone in the neighborhood.

Is it possible the neighbors irrational behavior is caused by insomnia from bright lights shining on his house?

The OP is so in the wrong here it's not even funny. Dude you are shining bright %#% lights directly onto your neighbors property and into his home at all hours of the night. Do you not realize how inconsiderate and un-neighborly that is?

It does not matter that the house came with the lights.

It does not matter if other people use them too.

It does not matter if those are the lowest wattage floodlights available at Target.

It does not matter that his reaction has been inappropriate.

What matters here is that you are shining bright lights onto and into his property at all hours of the night.

You alone are responsible for your actions here.

I am not condoning the neighbor's suspected behavior, he sounds crazy, but frankly from what you've posted you're no saint either.

jeff

The key to being a good neighbor is not limited to willingness to correct a problem when it is brought to your attention. A good neighbor considers the impact of his actions BEFORE taking them and tries his best to prevent the problem in the first place.

If you could look at this:

[/img]

and not know you are being highly inconsiderate...I'm at a loss.

While you neighbor is childish and cowardly not to confront you on it directly, it surely doesn't excuse your lack of forethought and your insistence on playing detective now that you are clearly aware of the problem instead of actually fixing the problem that you created.

My town allows me to start my lawnmower at 8AM on a weekend. I don't do it because I am considerate of my neighbors. Just because something is permitted doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Give it some thought.

I have found low wattage 45 watt halogen bulbs Par 38.

halogen 45 watt Par 38

Last night, I marked a spot to re-aim the lights. My first re-aim attempt was during the daytime. I will try these tonight and post a new pic. These will have 50% less light output.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Bottom line-you should always try to start nice. It's called trying to be civil and not stoop to his level. When that doesn't work, well-it's time for action...

Exactly!

Andrew- I'm not glossing over anything, it's just that, as the old adage goes: two wrongs doing make a right. A simple conversation could have yielded much better results. Even if it didn't go 100% in favor of the O/P, he could have found out the exact issue and changed his set up in a way that doesn't make his neighbor mad and still secures the rear of the house. Instead of spending hundreds on new/more lighting and cameras, he could have at the most spent a few bones on a new fixture. Sure, I know he shouldn't have to, but don't you think that it'd be a whole lot better than having a neighbor that goes out his way to mess with you? Yes you could call the Police, but with such little evidence/hard proof, they will be very slow to react and the neighbor will most assuredly be much quicker. Turn him into the HOA? I'd bet money, it would net the same result.

Sometimes being a man means knowing when to say when- knowing what the consequences of your actions will bring,after all discretion is the better part of valor. Even if you're in the right. My step dad related something to me as I was growing up once about being a pedestrian in traffic. He told me that as a pedestrian, I would almost always have the right of way... but also to remember that you can be dead right! Walking out in front of traffic can bring disastrous results, even if you have right of way. So can messing with your neighbor. Being a man means you don't need to prove it.

Step one should have been- go over and talk to him- ask him what the issue is, have him actually show you and listen, don't be a ****... even if he's being one to you. Then ask him to make good for the broken fixture- worst case here is he tells you to bugger off. So from there, go home and fix your light and chalk it up one of life's lessons learned. Now at least you won't have to worry about mad doorbell ringing, broken lights and broken garden equipment and whatever else. Alternatively you could then call the Police- because he's an evil, vile, villainous trespasser who broke your stuff! And the cops would (might) come over and may site him for (in the scheme of the legal system) a relatively minor offence and guess what? You could very easily end up with a neighbor worthy of some 2 bit TV reality show, just like O/P has right now. You could also be a passive aggressive, childish **** and hunker down, turn your house into Ft Knox and get the same result... but I think O/P already knows that from first hand experience. But you're a MAN and you're RIGHT darn it!

Originally Posted By: greenjp
The OP is so in the wrong here it's not even funny. Dude you are shining bright %#% lights directly onto your neighbors property and into his home at all hours of the night. Do you not realize how inconsiderate and un-neighborly that is?

It does not matter that the house came with the lights.

It does not matter if other people use them too.

It does not matter if those are the lowest wattage floodlights available at Target.

It does not matter that his reaction has been inappropriate.

What matters here is that you are shining bright lights onto and into his property at all hours of the night.

You alone are responsible for your actions here.

I am not condoning the neighbor's suspected behavior, he sounds crazy, but frankly from what you've posted you're no saint either.

jeff

exactly right take a look at pic again.the right side of the fence, and the neighbor's house (i'll call him x ) is way too well lit.i don't know why the op could not have seen this, since the lights are always on
. motion sensors are the way to go. you know that there's someone there, when lights are activated. I use these, and point a 75w spotlight (not floodlight)aimed directly down, so as not to create such an "issue". common sense.
x did something stupid, twice.no excuse for that.x should have been the one to approach the op and ask him to redirect the light.that would have been it.done.
x appears to be a quiet guy that doesn't bother anybody, since the op asked other neighbors about him, and nobody knew anything about him.

the op has the ball now.IF you want this stupidity to stop, bring over a six pack, and tell him that you know that he busted your things, and ask what can be done to bury the hatchet.try reason FIRST.should police have to be called in later, in case of a possible firefight, this will be in your favor -- that you tried to end this.
IF you want an enemy next door, forever, then do nothing, and this will eventually escalate into something really stupid.
one as to pick his battles in life.good luck, and hopefully common sense prevails.

*don't bring a hatchet to his house.in case some wizards don't know that it is a figure of speech.

I relamped a commercial building I have a couple of years ago. It's in a mixed residential commercial area and the property to the north is a residence.

Before I lamped that side of the building, I went and introduced myself to the homeowner and told him that I was going to lamp that side of the property ( it was unlamped at that time ) and that I would do as much as possible to make sure that no light went into his windows, and to let me know if there was anything about the new lighting that bothered him. I used some of the new LED fixtures that are directional and shine down at a 45 degree angle. I staggered the lights to avoid his windows, and my property is very bright, as I intended, and there is no direct light spillover into his property. There is some diffuse scattered light that gets unto his yard, but it's not bad. He now keeps an eye on the place, and has called me once or twice about things he thought I would want to know about it.

The best security system you can ever have are neighbors.

OP needs to throw his cheap junk lights in the trash can and get decent lights, correctly placed, if he insists on having his back yard look like daylight 24/7. It's likely very easy to reasonably light his yard, without lighting the whole neighborhood, and more specifically, the neighbors windows.
It's just rude and inconsiderate to do otherwwise, and from the pictures, maybe a private nuisance. Lights cost money to burn, why would you want to waste the light?

OP could always place some poles at the rear of his property, and place those cheap floods on them shining into his own property. Of course, then he would have to deal with all the light coming into his own windows. He could buy some dark shades, I guess, as people say the neighbor should do, and redecorate his rooms accordingly.

This reads like a multi page moron-a-thon. It's degenerated into throwing crazy gas on stupid fire.

why did it take 18 pages before some sensible replies starting coming out? is it because OP never posted the pictures before? even after posting the picture, very few had the courage to question OP.

what is happening to the BITOG as a community? it is generating in to flame fest and most want to through gasoline on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back