Contact cement for rubber to steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are my options for a good contact adhesive for gluing rubber insulator pads back on the top of a 96 Regal gas tank?
It has to be something in a tube or a brush-cap can that is available locally.

All I can think of is rubber cement in a little brush cap bottle and 3M yellow snot in a tube.

The proper answer is 3M, 1357 glue. It's a neoprene based glue, it brushes on each side easily. Then allow it to dry for a few minutes so it's no longer wet. Then press parts together. It's tough stuff and will not fail.

It's not your grandfathers contact cement.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The proper answer is 3M, 1357 glue. It's a neoprene based glue, it brushes on each side easily. Then allow it to dry for a few minutes so it's no longer wet. Then press parts together. It's tough stuff and will not fail.

That!

Q.

The proper answer is 3M, 1357 glue.

You mean an alternative answer. Its no better than weather strip cement (also a contact type cement) for rubber pieces to metal.

Just looked it up on Amazon and eBay that stuff is expensive!

Thanks for the help.

Guess it will have to use 3M weather strip adhesive because I cant find 3M 1357 locally
The gas tank has to go back in today.

Trav yes i am gluing the thin rubber pieces on the top of the factory painted gas tank. The

Originally Posted By: asand1
3M weather strip adhesive yellow or black.
Right on. The right product for the right application.
smile.gif

Thanks Trav I did that and it worked great hardly used any glue out of the 1oz tube.
I had to go to the parts store any way to pick up a piece of ¼ fuel line.

Glad you got it sorted. The stuff works great and its cheap enough. Use the rest to hold gaskets in place for gasket assembly or stick loose weather stripping.
I use it on gaskets all the time, like some thermostat housings that use o rings and are vertical, just a little on the sides of the o ring will keep it in place while you get the neck on.
It can make life real easy, its worth having a small tube in the toolbox, it has a 1001 uses.

BTW The stuff is resistant to vibration, oil, gasoline, coolants and most chemicals.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Finding it locally was what was important if i read your post right.
Just put a little on both pieces let it tack and then put them together and let dry, your golden.
Get the small tube so you don't loose half or more of the large tube when i goes off from non use.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-bl...m+weatherstrip+

I'm replacing some dense foam bump stops on the rear shock mounts on my Mazda. The stops are a fairly snug fit in the aluminum mounts, but I wanted to make sure the stops stay permanently attached(as they also hold up the dust boot). Do you think that the 3M weatherstrip adhesive would be suitable?

My dad taught me to use it on cork gaskets and stamped steel valve covers. RTV chemically reacts with the cork and turns it into a mess.

As long as it doesn't eat into the foam it will work fine, check it in a small area.
If it melts use a silicone or a polyurethane based adhesive. Foam can be a real bugger depending on the type.
The weather strip adhesive works fine of GM bumper foam.

Do you have a picture of the foam piece ?

Originally Posted By: Trav
As long as it doesn't eat into the foam it will work fine, check it in a small area.
If it melts use a silicone or a polyurethane based adhesive. Foam can be a real bugger depending on the type.
The weather strip adhesive works fine of GM bumper foam.

Do you have a picture of the foam piece ?

Thank you! That's what I was concerned about as well. It is a closed cell foam; here is a picture:
$(KGrHqVHJBMFJGRIwrwkBSSsU4tiCw~~60_35.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back