Brake Fluid quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any meaningful differences between the various brands of DOT3 brake fluid? I've been buying the dollar-store half-bottles (which are very convenient as you don't have much to toss if you don't use it all up) which are much cheaper, but its not a 'name' brand.

If you search online, you will find that the cold temp viscosity at -40C can vary significantly between DOT3 and DOT4 fluids, but the variation within a given type isn't going to be significant.

For the newer vehicles with ESP, I generally prefer using DOT4LV in them.

Last edited:
Why have you been buying bottles like that?

If you're just changing the fluid, you usually only need a single quart. In that case, it's cheaper to just buy a qt at Walmart.

That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with the dollar store stuff.

Premium fluids often have higher boiling points, while the cheap stuff is just the minimum.

Actually, Mag 1 DOT 4 seems to have very high boiling points per their PDS on their site. And Amazon has this stuff really cheap (look up "Mag 1 130")(under $4/qt if you buy by the case)--and this is for something with higher dry and wet boiling points, and lower visc than Castrol!

I like Wagner Severe Duty DOT 5.1, with its very low visc and high wet boiling point

i would just buy a name brand/house brand fluid. I wouldn't use any dollar store, or dollar tree fluids. some of those don't meet many, if any standards.

Buy wearever, valvoline, supertech, or a house brand fluid at least.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Why are you buying brake fluid?

Why wouldn't you buy brake fluid?

I've always bought the bigger containers at the auto store and tried to do a couple vehicles at once. I've wondered about the dollar store bottles though. I think I usually end up with Valvoline that's marketed as DOT 3 & 4. My motorcycle requests DOT4 while the Hondas want DOT3

For Hondas I always use Honda DOT3 because they add a lubricant to it for the rubber parts in their systems. All others get whatever DOT3 is on sale. I find with brake fluid that changing it is more important than the brand.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

I've always bought the bigger containers at the auto store and tried to do a couple vehicles at once. I've wondered about the dollar store bottles though. I think I usually end up with Valvoline that's marketed as DOT 3 & 4. My motorcycle requests DOT4 while the Hondas want DOT3

I'd only buy to flush out the old fluid or to replenish due to leak. Since the flush takes a bit of fluid, I'd assume the dollar store stuff in the small bottles is to replenish a leak. Or is there some other use for the small bottles? I flush my brake fluid so rarely that I splurge on the Valvoline fluid.

I'd only buy to flush out the old fluid or to replenish due to leak. Since the flush takes a bit of fluid, I'd assume the dollar store stuff in the small bottles is to replenish a leak. Or is there some other use for the small bottles? I flush my brake fluid so rarely that I splurge on the Valvoline fluid.

Sorry, when I initially read your post, I thought you were being snarky about buying brake fluid at all. I see that you're actually asking why they would need/want to buy brake fluid in such small amounts, which is totally valid.

Sorry, when I initially read your post, I thought you were being snarky about buying brake fluid at all. I see that you're actually asking why they would need/want to buy brake fluid in such small amounts, which is totally valid.

No problem. After I wrote it, I thought it might get interpreted as to why are you buying it instead of stealing it or somehow getting it for free. Alas, the time had run out on the window to edit the post.

Internet wisdom suggests AC Delco DOT 3 and Honda fluid might have better corrosion resistance than average. I've used a lot of Honda DOT 3 and Pentosin DOT 4. I'm using Wagner 21B DOT 3 now. I'd rather have a corrosion resistant fluid than higher boiling point.

Wagner's description of 21B: Wagner 21B is a premium DOT 3 brake fluid, formulated with extra lubricating and anticorrosive additives. Its minimum boiling point is higher than 401° F (205° C). Wagner 21B is perfect for most passenger cars, light trucks and other applications that call for DOT 3 brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back