End of a career, Retirement at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Thursday, I cleaned out my office and handed in my keys.
The end of 31 years in Education, the last 22 as a High School Administrator.
No more getting up at 4 AM
No more 130 mile round trip commutes daily.
My stress level has decreased significantly.
The state of Ohio made my decision for me. With changes being implemented August 1, both my Accountant and Financial adviser convinced me that I couldn't afford not to retire.
Have already started the process of looking at second careers, and have already met with a non profit that focuses on employment for seniors. Financially, I don't have to work, but I'm not ready to totally hang it up yet., However, I am ready for a change.
Been busy working around the house and doing the things that I didn't have the time to do or was to exhausted to do.
No complaints yet.
Retirement has been good to me so far.

31 years in education? You have my respect and gratitude. It's a tough and very important field and sticking with it requires passion.

Congrats! Your 4am and 120mile operation meant worlds to many who came out the other side of the education systems you helped to administer. Of course to some you're public enemy #1, underworked and overpaid, Which I'm sure is why the system helped make your decision.

Good luck in your next endeavor!

Congrats! Went into semi-retirement in June 2008 and fully retired last December. I still get called back every now and then, but I don't mind.

Congratulations! May you live long and be healthy.
352 days and counting for me after 29 years.

Congrats! and a sincere thank you for your many years of positive contribution your community and to our country.

Hopefully I am not far behind you, I turn 60 this year having worked non stop for 38 years starting about 2 weeks after I got my degree. I plan to "retire" from my corporate job this December. Starting in 2016 I hope to do useful volunteer work and provide some positive value to my community with the time I have left to be active.

Last edited:
It also sound like you have the secret in hand for a successful retirement, stay busy. The what is not so important. The when is now. And the stay busy part will take care of itself.

good choice a friend retired from the board of ed here in nj with a $5,500 a month pension the last 2 years she got her masters.. Her Husband is an assistant chief of a Bergen county police force and he will be making more than she is both retired! Its like winning the lottery every month. Thats just the pensions! They are both under 50

Congrats and my highest regards as an educator. That's one tough job. I have 13 more years towards retirement and envy you.

Awesome!! I retired 1 1/2 years ago at age 53 & love it.

Keep busy & enjoy!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back