Alternatives to Hyundai/Kia OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local Hyundai wants $8/filter.
shocked.gif

I've read somewhere about Hyundai/Kia recommending not using aftermarket oil filters due to ticking issues but I'm not sure if it's just a scare tactic by them. I used to get them back home for about $5 each due to a friend working at the Kia parts counter but she doesn't ship.

Anyone use any aftermarket oil filters?

I have a hard time believing that their oem filters are that special. Seems to me it's an upscale opportunity for the dealerships. Hyundai/Kia doesn't make them,someone makes them for them. I'd be curious to see who makes their oem filters and see what clones are available.

When I had a Hyundai Tiburon, I used PureOnes which seemed to work well. You could get a Fram Ultra for about the same price as the OEM filter.

However, there have definitely been reports of people getting startup rattle when using non-OEM filters that went away when they switched back to the OEM Hyundai filter.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What car?

2013 Hyundai Tucson and 2014 Kia Sportage, both have the 2.4 and use the same OEM filter.

Try searching eBay and online retailers for cheaper prices. Speaking from experience (used to have an Elantra), Hyundais do seem to be picky about their filters.

You can get the OEM filters for cheaper by buying Auto7 brand. At least, that's what they always were when I bought them. I purchased them several at a time through RA and got a good deal. This is a genuine Hyundai filter with an Auto7 sticker.
HP3_zpsb88fa879.jpg

It's not a "scare tactic." Hyundai actually re-issued the TSB on the knock caused by an aftermarket filters. So they issued it twice.

It happened to my Hyundai twice with two different brands of aftermrket filters.

Having said that, I think it's more of an issue with engines with spin-on filters. And, many people seemingly don't experience it with aftermarket filters. So, feel free to try aftermarket filters, but be ready to switch to an OE filter if you get a knock.

You can hear audio of my Hyundai Sonata knocking with an aftermarket filter here:

OilFilterTSB.jpg

HyundaiTSB_zps481abb49.jpg

8 bucks? thats a bargain. try $13 for the oil filter, $40 for a fuel filter (every 15k), and 11 quarts of oil every change. enjoy that 8 bucks
smile.gif

$8 the horror!!! Cheapskate at its highest.

I would go with a FU or M1 but they are more expensive than OEM for extended intervals.

Assuming you will be doing 4K oci as they recommend, I would stick to OEM or OCOD AKA extraguard or Wix/Napa

Last edited:
The Hyundai OE filter uses a silicone ADBV.

Makes you wonder how good the oiling system is if a simple oil filter can cause so much noise....starvation flow or psi fluctuations???

Both my 2.0 and 2.4 had no issues with aftermarket oil filters. I guess I lucked out with good oil pumps.

Use an aftermarket filter with a silicone adbv, which eliminates most cheap filters and quicklube filters. If the engine knocks, swap aftermarket out for a Kia or Hyundai filter. If knock goes away, avoid the aftermarket PN that caused issue.

I have a 2007 Kia Rondo with the 2.7 V-6 and i've never had a problem with an aftermarket oil filter (of course, all of the ones I use are over $8
wink.gif
. My car loves Fram Ultra..... I use them and usually Mobile One or PP @ 9-10k change intervals.
I also had a Hyundai Elantra (2006) and it was fine with Fram Tough Guards and Pure ones.

Originally Posted By: Edmond
Local Hyundai wants $8/filter.
shocked.gif

I've read somewhere about Hyundai/Kia recommending not using aftermarket oil filters due to ticking issues but I'm not sure if it's just a scare tactic by them. I used to get them back home for about $5 each due to a friend working at the Kia parts counter but she doesn't ship.

Anyone use any aftermarket oil filters?

Originally Posted By: Edmond
2013 Hyundai Tucson and 2014 Kia Sportage, both have the 2.4 and use the same OEM filter.

OK. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't have the V6 with the cartridge. If you did, my recommendation would be Mahle.

But for your two cars, get Wix. Napa has their second Saturday Sale this weekend, so if you can get to Napa on Saturday, get two filters for your car, either gold (regular Wix) or platinum (Wix XP). The platinum is already on sale this month, so you can pick up two for just $10.

There's also the Fram Ultra XG9688. The rebate promo is still going on, if you haven't already bought two Ultras this year. Order online at AAP, and use the 30% promo code. The minimum to use the code TRT30 is $50, so what you do is order the two Ultras to ship to your local AAP, and then add other stuff in the cart to ship to a different store, and just don't pick up the stuff at the other store.

I've been using OEM 26300-35503 in my '09 Sonata 2.4L for last several oil changes. Have not noticed any change vs what was used before which was more than likely just "bulk" aftermarket filters by independent or chain type shops. Never had any issues.

There is a listing on eBay that may be just what you need for under $4 per filter:
www.ebay.com/itm/171708340259
Or this one:
www.ebay.com/itm/301462870818

Amazon has them for sale also although more than $4/filter.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I have a 2012 Kia Forte ex and I will be getting an oem filter next oil change to see if it quiets things down. Should I go to a Kia dealer or a Hyundai dealer? A Hyundai dealer is about a half hour closer to me. I know the 2.0L motor in our forte is made by Hyundai so is a Hyundai filter ok?

I have 2 Kia sorentos and the Kia filter is awesome I posted one cut open should be in my history however due to having to get them from a dealer or online I have been running fram tough guards in one and fram extra guards in the other both are well made and I will continue to use them.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Buy them in bulk on ebay for about $6 shipped with the oil plug gaskets.

Do you have a link to these?

Does anybody know about the Hyundai/Kia filters? There is a Kia dealer about 45 mins away from me and a Hyundai dealer about 15 mins away. Can I go to Hyundai and get a filter for the car? Also I was reading around online and found that I need a crush washer? Does it need to be replaced each time you change the filter?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Does anybody know about the Hyundai/Kia filters? There is a Kia dealer about 45 mins away from me and a Hyundai dealer about 15 mins away. Can I go to Hyundai and get a filter for the car? Also I was reading around online and found that I need a crush washer? Does it need to be replaced each time you change the filter?

May want to call up each dealer and ask about specific OEM part number in advance so you don't waste a trip. As to filters for my '09 Sonata, I could get the right one at either Kia or Hyundai dealer.

I change crush washers every oil change but I imagine you can skip. My guess is that the dealer you will buy filters from will not recommend that.

Lastly, I posted a couple of eBay links above for bulk lots of filters that fit my car. Also, you can search Amazon.com, Parts.com and other sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back