Amsoil to try TireRack.com-style service?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took an Amsoil survey promoted through an email I received (I am an Amsoil PC), and the questions seemed to be asking if I would be willing to have my oil shipped to an installer who would install it for about $20.

I know Amsoil has been quite concerned with the shift from DIY to the Do-It-For-Me concept that more people are embracing with modern, complex vehicles. Is Amsoil looking to implement a program similar to the TireRack.com Recommended Installers program (where Amsoil would ship direct to the installer, who would then do the oil change)?

I have been taking my Amsoil and Wix filters to local trusted Ford and Chrysler dealers, who have had no qualms about installing any of Amsoil's products. I'm not sure if I would switch to a "Recommended Installer", but it might help with an Amsoil warranty claim, should a need ever arise. I'm not sure what to think of this.

Any thoughts?

Tires are really big which is why you'd prefer to have them shipped direct to the installer.

I don't see that as much with oil where you can put your qts in a cardboard box and take it to any shop to perform the service.

On the other hand if they have a list of shops that carry amsoil in BULK and can provide the service at BULK prices then there is something there.
Isn't the cost of oil in the shipping and packaging, so getting a few pumps out of the 55gallon drum should save you some money over the plastic bottles.

Last edited:
Stealerships may be collecting a lot of "good oil" from customers which ends up in "technician's" cars. In most of these places you can't get anywhere the actual service bay to watch. Better add a UOA after each change if that will tell you anything. Maybe Amsoil will throw in a coupon.

I know like most of us here know think they should fire upper management.

This is by far the worst company that no average normal car owner has ever heard of.

We're the only oil company that passed the 4 ball bearing test. Which is saying people should start eating dirt for food.

SuperTech is better than Amsoil.

Sorry not sorry. I have to agree this company should go the way of the Dodo Bird.

Amsoil should listen but wont and do a one time massive marketing effort for a month on Youtube to kill the 3,000 miles oil change. Hire the guys that did Old Spice and not have some guy who works at amsoil wearing an Amsoil collar shirt.

Yes my fear is when I have my daughter getting her oil changed is whether they will steal her Amsoil, and put in some junk.

I can't see why it would be an advantage for Amsoil to do this?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I can't see why it would be an advantage for Amsoil to do this?

I would guess that some places are giving customers a hard time for various legitimate and illegitimate reasons. They might not like putting in a product that wasn't bought there (most don't care). They might repeat some old wives' tales about Amsoil in specific or synthetics in general.

I don't think Amsoil needs to go as far as the Tire Rack model of shipping, but it wouldn't hurt for them to have at least a list of Amsoil-friendly shops.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Stealerships may be collecting a lot of "good oil" from customers which ends up in "technician's" cars. In most of these places you can't get anywhere the actual service bay to watch. Better add a UOA after each change if that will tell you anything. Maybe Amsoil will throw in a coupon.

I'm glad someone said it before me. The techs will love it, Amsoil in their car, bulk oil in the customer's car. I'd watch like a hawk!

Seriously, do you really think a tech will be allowed the time to come up with a special drain pan to catch your Amsoil so he can put it in his car, along with the dirt and grit from the bottom of the motor that will likely get in the drained oil? And the shop manager will sit by and allow the tech time to do that? Just ain't gonna happen.

Find a dealer or independent shop you trust that will put in your preferred brand of oil/filter and be happy. Down my way there is a chain of several local tire shops that do a variety of small maintenance work along with selling tires and they put my M1/Ultra filter in for $15 to include tire rotation. I use them a lot and over the years they've got to know me and I get good service.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Seriously, do you really think a tech will be allowed the time to come up with a special drain pan to catch your Amsoil so he can put it in his car, along with the dirt and grit from the bottom of the motor that will likely get in the drained oil? And the shop manager will sit by and allow the tech time to do that? Just ain't gonna happen.

Of course not. That's not what was meant. Think about it, or do we have to spell it out for you?

Originally Posted By: tc1446

Find a dealer or independent shop you trust that will put in your preferred brand of oil/filter and be happy. Down my way there is a chain of several local tire shops that do a variety of small maintenance work along with selling tires and they put my M1/Ultra filter in for $15 to include tire rotation. I use them a lot and over the years they've got to know me and I get good service.
Think about it for a sec, Sparky, WE are talking about a jug of customer provided oil the customer wants "installed" in his or her car, NOT the oil which is drained out. Where the bleep did you get THAT idea?

I just don't understand Amsoil's approach.
confused.gif

No offense to Amsoil dealers BUT...

If they were interested in becoming a major player in the DIY oil space and were concerned about customer acquisition and retention, then they wouldn't have the nonsensical pyramid-esque sales scheme they have now, much less a "ship to installer" model.
21.gif

If they want a new business model to improve customer acquisition and increase sales, go to retail where EVERYONE has the ability to try the product on a larger and more efficient scale.

I'm sure there are a number of people who would love to try Amsoil products (myself included at certain times.) But it seems clear that very few people (as a whole) are willing to deal with middlemen, mail order, etc. required to purchase their products. Especially when there are other brands that perform just as well if not better, that are more affordable if not more accessible than Amsoil. It really just isn't worth the hassle for a lot of people.
eek.gif

But good luck to Amsoil. I'm sure they have a fine product and all, but their unwillingness to go into large scale retail (Walmart, AutoZone, O'Reillys, Advance, etc.) will either be the death of their company, or leave them in a minority boutique oil category.

I would be willing to bet the former is more likely than the latter. But as always, YMMV.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I'm glad someone said it before me. The techs will love it, Amsoil in their car, bulk oil in the customer's car. I'd watch like a hawk!

Sadly if I was interested in participating, this would be my main concern with the concept.

So bottom line, if no ability to watch the O&FC from some decent vantage point then it would be a no go for me. Too much temptation and opportunity for shenanigans imo.

Edit Didn't pay attention to date of thread start and resurrection, but point still stands.

Last edited:
If AMsoil representatives read this how about tis approach, since I really like characteristics on some of their Euro oils (that 5W30 Low-SAPS oils with HTHS of 3.7cp looks really good).
1. Sell it on Amazon
2. Obtain ALL relevant approvals: BMW, VW, MB, Porsche.
They did get some, but not all oils have all approvals (some got MB and BMW approval).
On top of that, paying $11.95 is bit of a problem when I got yesterday Valvoline 5W40 MST on sale for $4.99 and meets has all approvals (MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, VW 502.00/505.01).

Originally Posted By: edyvw
If AMsoil representatives read this how about tis approach, since I really like characteristics on some of their Euro oils (that 5W30 Low-SAPS oils with HTHS of 3.7cp looks really good).
1. Sell it on Amazon
They did get some, but not all oils have all approvals (some got MB and BMW approval).
On top of that, paying $11.95 is bit of a problem when I got yesterday Valvoline 5W40 MST on sale for $4.99 and meets has all approvals (MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, VW 502.00/505.01).

Sell it on Amazon? The dealers would freak out.

1. Sell it on Amazon

Dealers need to check calendar. It is 21st century.
many dealers ell stuff on Amazon.
I just ordered filters for VW Tiguan, all OEM, all ordered on Amazon, all sold by dealerships on Amazon.
M1 5W30 ESP I always ordered on Amazon, sold by independent distributor.

1. Sell it on Amazon

Dealers need to check calendar. It is 21st century.
many dealers ell stuff on Amazon.
I just ordered filters for VW Tiguan, all OEM, all ordered on Amazon, all sold by dealerships on Amazon.
M1 5W30 ESP I always ordered on Amazon, sold by independent distributor.

AFAIK Amsoil is not sold on Amazon. I don't use Amsoil, I do on occasion buy oil and filters on Amazon, but never saw Amsoil oil. There must be a reason for that.

Were I in Amsoil management I would phase out the current sales model and push on selling to individuals with cheap shipping and let their dealer get discounts on volume.

And cut out all but the top shelf oil and other lubes.

Last edited:
Still am a dealer but rarely use their products due to the cost. Simply way overpriced for what is now available on the market with Pennzoil Plat/Ultra and Mobil 1 EP plus rebates etc. What bothers me most about this company is they are attempting to fill every niche market out there, huge emphasis on motorcycles, boating, off road,small engine, etc. an oil for every niche out there, just crazy IMO. they cannot change their marketing sales model, just locked into it. They have abandoned the marketing of the extended oil change interval realizing it was not working and turning off customers (manufacturers rarely will go beyond 7,500 OCIs, a few 10,000 or more but none at 15,000-25,000) and now Amsoil just pushes the quality of the product. Problem is, we all know that any oil that meets specs will do the job for 200,000 plus miles if you change it on a reasonable basis. Amsoil is just too much hassle to deal with in today's world if all one wants is a simple oil change. If you lived near a warehouse that could help but ordering, plus the cost plus shipping, way overpriced for that same 7,500 mile oil change.

My two cents

Originally Posted By: Spector
Still am a dealer but rarely use their products due to the cost. Simply way overpriced for what is now available on the market with Pennzoil Plat/Ultra and Mobil 1 EP plus rebates etc. What bothers me most about this company is they are attempting to fill every niche market out there, huge emphasis on motorcycles, boating, off road,small engine, etc. an oil for every niche out there, just crazy IMO. they cannot change their marketing sales model, just locked into it. They have abandoned the marketing of the extended oil change interval realizing it was not working and turning off customers (manufacturers rarely will go beyond 7,500 OCIs, a few 10,000 or more but none at 15,000-25,000) and now Amsoil just pushes the quality of the product. Problem is, we all know that any oil that meets specs will do the job for 200,000 plus miles if you change it on a reasonable basis. Amsoil is just too much hassle to deal with in today's world if all one wants is a simple oil change. If you lived near a warehouse that could help but ordering, plus the cost plus shipping, way overpriced for that same 7,500 mile oil change.

My two cents

Very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back