How reliable are used Boxsters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That you can find these cars for that kind of money should tell you something.
No BMW is as much trouble waiting to happen as any real Porsche is.
Something like a Cayenne or a 944/963 is not a real Porsche, incidentally.
The 928 qualifies by virtue of its very expensive parts as well as the difficulty involved in almost any repair.
When I was looking at 928s, because they are awesome cars and were so darn cheap, a buddy in the parts business metioned that a clutch ran a grand. I said that didn't sound too bad.
He said, no, that's just the parts at my price.
Labor will run another grand and a half.
Oh.
If you can afford the risk involved, a Boxster would be a lot of fun to own.
If not, run far away.

The only reason to get a Boxter over an S2000 or Miata is because a Porsche gets you into Porsche club events or you are too large to fit in the Japanese cars. The Porsche club is great if you like what they do, and well worth the price of admission if you take advantage of what they have to offer.

In general, Porsches are expensive to maintain. There are a few people who get lucky with them and never have any major problems. Most Porsches bite their owners once or twice in their lifespan with $5000+ repairs that aren't normal maintenance events.

I am going to disagree with a some of the posters here. Our 911 has been bulletproof for the years my Wife's owned it to the point where we keep talking ourselves out of a new one because this one is still in such good shape. Porsche used, even back in their cost cutting days, very high quality components. Our experience is similar to most of the folks we know who have them.

Aside from routine maintenance and upgrades, we've only done an ignition switch and spark plug tube seals, and I did the IMS upgrade at 50k out of paranoia (and the one that came out was fine...but one less thing to worry about).

As long as you get a good one, don't skimp...get a thorough PPA by a knowledgeable shop, and maintain them they are a very easy car to live with for what they are. Parts can be expensive but that goes with the territory.

I will say that having owned both, the S2k is more exciting car to drive, but, parts prices aside, was no 'easier' to live with.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
I was somewhat suprised to find that older, good condition Porsche Boxsters can be found in the neighborhood of 8-12,000.
I love mid engine cars, so I like to hear about reliability and cost of ownership.
I am capable of changing oil, basic tune ups, ect.
I owned a bmw in the past that was actually quite affordable, and am wondering if a Porsche could be (relatively) the same.

I had a '98 Boxster for several years, and am waiting on my '2015 Cayman to float across the ocean right now.

If you are getting one of the first three years ('97 to '99), the IMS issue is less of a risk, as all of those early engines were built with a dual row bearing, and (much) lower failure rate. 2000 through 2006 engines are the most likely for catastrophic failure, and are very expensive to replace the whole engine. But, for these years, you can buy one of the IMS replacement kits that are on the market, and get it upgraded with a much better component.

As for other services, some stuff is fairly easy if you have ramps and jackstands, and you are flexible. Spark plugs are easy. Battery replacement is easy. Brakes are the easiest you will get on any vehicle on the planet. Strut replacement isn't bad at all.

The front engine mount isn't easy, but it isn't really that hard, either.
The water pump is a bit trickier than the mount, if I'm honest.

When I first got my Boxster back in Feb '09, it immediately needed a front engine mount, and rear struts. Did those myself.
It then needed a new set of brake rotors and pads all around the car, because I loved going to track days in my car. Did those myself.
It eventually needed to have the MAF sensor replaced. Did that myself.
Replaced the air filter, for the engine and the cabin, both by me. (engine is much harder than cabin, btw).
The plastic window in the convertible top tore out during a hailstorm, and I had to replace the entire convertible top. I did that with the help of a friend.
A switch in latch assembly for the convertible top went bad, and replaced that myself.
I even swapped tires on the rims myself.

In fact, only 1 repair I farmed out to a Porsche dealer, and that was when the bolts that hold the muffler to the transmission housing broke.

Actually, two if you count the alignment done at Firestone after I replaced the rear struts.

Great car.
Will ruin you for small, lightweight, great handling fun cars.

BC.

I gotta wonder about a company that would totally and completely shaft (no pun intended) its customers year in and year out on the IMS
when it would have been abundantly clear that they had a problem there. That takes a special level of low ethics.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

When I first got my Boxster back in Feb '09, it immediately needed a front engine mount, and rear struts. Did those myself.
It then needed a new set of brake rotors and pads all around the car, because I loved going to track days in my car. Did those myself.
It eventually needed to have the MAF sensor replaced. Did that myself.
Replaced the air filter, for the engine and the cabin, both by me. (engine is much harder than cabin, btw).
The plastic window in the convertible top tore out during a hailstorm, and I had to replace the entire convertible top. I did that with the help of a friend.
A switch in latch assembly for the convertible top went bad, and replaced that myself.
I even swapped tires on the rims myself.
In fact, only 1 repair I farmed out to a Porsche dealer, and that was when the bolts that hold the muffler to the transmission housing broke.

A FAR from "trouble free" car, IMO. If you love working on cars and the challenge, you must have adored this one!

I have owned a few, my personal favorite was a 914-6 that I tracked a ton. IMO it held up well, but it was a very simple model.

But two different 911's were real bears to keep on the road. I also do most of the work myself but the parts prices were ridiculous and the cars needed constant attention.

A good friend of mine just sold a gorgeous 911 because of the insane costs and frequency of repair. It's not an isolated story.

Wonderful cars from folks who love cars, but generally far from trouble free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back