Left fill cap off crank case...stupid...harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I just changed my oil a couple of weeks ago in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma with QSUD. Somehow, I didn't get the fill cap back on and drove it for 2-3 days like this (maybe 80 miles total). No oil came out. There was never an indication anything was wrong. I just noticed it when I opened the hood. It was even sitting where I left it.

My question is this: I didn't lose any oil. Would a ton of impurities have been sucked in during that time? I really don't want to dump a full 6 quarts of synthetic, but I guess I would if the consensus is that it will screw things up if left in there for the full OCI. I normally go about 6 months/7500 miles.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Should likely be OK. You can always cut the next OCI in half on your 14 year old truck for peace of mind, which is what I'd do.

I did this on my 2001 Civic. It ran for a couple days like that, no oil leaked out, just smelled like exhaust in the cabin a little bit.
No issues ever.

I did that once. topped off the oil before heading out on the 1100 mi return from my vacation. some how i left the fill cap sitting on the top of the engine. it managed to fall onto a cross member and stay there. unfortunately that cross member was right below the exhaust... so the cap was pretty melty when i retrieved it.

I wasn't terribly worried, as i was doing an oilchange as soon as i got home anyway. just had to hit the nearest parts store after changing the oil for a new cap.

i did get some burning plastic smell in the cabin on the drive, and when ever i stopped for fuel, the area around the car smelled of oil fairly strongly...

Thanks for all of the replies. I feel better. Ironically, the reason I started changing my own oil (~20 years ago) was because some quickie lube place did exactly that to my car. :) Ahh well. 20 years and 1 mistake. I'll still take those odds.

I done it twice for my S2000, but I could smell the burning oil as soon as I drove about a mile, I stopped and there was the fill cap on top of the engine.

At lease you didn't put a sock in the fill hole.
smile.gif

I've done it on a Renault 5. Lost a lot of oil.

Worried me a bit, since I'd done some fast motorway driving like that and it was a fairly new car.

Year later it caught fire (shorted cooling fan) and burnt out.

Something else will probably get your truck in the end, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back