0w20/30 in 5w20/30 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't get a concrete answer in my other thread so i figured I'd post a new one with the new topic. Is it ok to run 0w20/30 in a motor that is spec' for 5w20/30? Is there any harm? Benefits of doing so?

The car in question is a 2012 Kia Forte ex 2.0. Want the quietest, smoothest, best all around oil.

0-20 or 0-30 is a win win. Best oil questions never come up with a real answer. If your engine calls for a 5-20 use a quality 0-20.

Ow30 might be fine in winter, but why would you want even a thinner oil than 30w in anything above freezing?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
What are the benefits of a 0w over a 5w other than cold weather starting?
nothing.

Thinner oil might improve MPG a small amount but there's more risk of failure under heavy loads and high temps, especially if it's a worn engine.

Stick with the recommended grade, and the best oil is whichever one meets all the specs and is on sale. Spend more on better stuff if it helps you sleep better, that's why I use Redline!

Originally Posted By: zach1900
nothing.

Typically a better base stock. Cold temp starting is a major positive factor, with a little faster oil flow through the engine according to oil producers.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Thinner oil might improve MPG a small amount but there's more risk of failure under heavy loads and high temps, especially if it's a worn engine.

Stick with the recommended grade, and the best oil is whichever one meets all the specs and is on sale. Spend more on better stuff if it helps you sleep better, that's why I use Redline!

Actually this is not true. 0wt oils are designed to flow faster but there is no loss in protection.

So I have people here saying 0w is better and some saying not to go lower?!? Idk what to do! Lol. Ultimately I'm trying to quiet a noisy Kia Forte motor down. It's the 2.0 and is a little noisy at idle. I am currently running QSUD 5w30 but it's still noisy. I wasn't sure if any oil will help?

So I have people here saying 0w is better and some saying not to go lower?!? Idk what to do! Lol. Ultimately I'm trying to quiet a noisy Kia Forte motor down. It's the 2.0 and is a little noisy at idle. I am currently running QSUD 5w30 but it's still noisy. I wasn't sure if any oil will help?

It's not the oil it's the way your engine is designed.

Have you tried using Pennzoil Platinum ?

No. I haven't tried anything other than QSUD and bulk conventional 5w30 for quick shop changes. The car has 68k on it so it's not under warranty anymore because we aren't the original owner. Ultimately I guess my new question is, what would be the best oil to run it it. Whether it's conventional or synthetic? Preferably a synthetic since it can go longer before changing (she's tends to not pay attention to when it needs changing)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
nothing.
Im not sure there are cold start advantages at -17C. Do we have MEASURED KV or cP at this temp. NO Extrapolated data please - It's not valid at these temps.

I see NO numbers here; So no support or validity to opinions expressed. 0-Winter just means a 5 or 7 deg colder pumpability over 5w or same degree of improvement of cold temp performance before cloud point or gelling of the lubricant. 99.99 of you here willnot test these waters whatsoever. 0-winter multigrades are NOT specified by SAE or API or ILSAC for cold performance analysis at any point above minus 35 and minus 40 degC. other than that: used, aged fluid loss of pumpability shall not worsen more than one winter grade. Said again; a 5w-xx shall not degrade past the 10w-xx as a used oil.

Last edited:
Also don't count out amsoil because of price, I have a preferred customer membership and have no issue with price or anything for buying there oil.

So I have people here saying 0w is better and some saying not to go lower?!?

Welcome to. BITOG!

A lot depends on SPECIFIC product. You cannot generalize the fine points. I find Valvoline 0w20 is an exceedingly fine 0w20 for the price. I will find out if their 5w20 works as well for summer, as a 0w is not needed at ambient temps > 20 below zero F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back