Why Canadians use all-season tires...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a storm rolling thru last night and today...

6 to 12 inches of snow...Tons of accidents... not a good day to test out the summer tires... !

Most people swapped out winters a week or two ago...

Thre's no why in this case, just common ignorance.

I've been on Hankook optimo 4S for 2+yrs now, and those tires are severe winter rated (RAC approved) and never been happier.

Q.

all seasons are fine.

As long as you drive with some sense and caution, anyone can negotiate almost any driving condition

Never used anything but all seasons my whole life. I think the whole winter tire push is about marketing, and tire vendors looking to make up for lost business because tires last a lot longer than they used to.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
Never used anything but all seasons my whole life. I think the whole winter tire push is about marketing, and tire vendors looking to make up for lost business because tires last a lot longer than they used to.

Until you actually drive on winter tires in snow...then you realize how much better they are than all seasons. Up to twice the traction.

Simply no comparison.

Like drinking Budweiser your whole life, never trying anything else, and then having your first craft brew...and realizing that you had no idea how much better things could be....

Last edited:
I had Hankook optimo 4S as well they cracked so bad I was awarded new tires. They were awesome in the snow.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Until you actually drive on winter tires in snow...then you realize how much better they are than all seasons. Up to twice the traction.

Simply no comparison.

Like drinking Budweiser your whole life, never trying anything else, and then having your first craft brew...and realizing that you had no idea how much better things could be....

This topic is why I try to keep the snow tires in the apartment for a few weeks before storing them for the summer in my parents' garage. Never know when a snow storm is going to come through!

Simply no comparison.

Sure they are great in the snow/ice, but they certainly aren't necessary. Especially on the prairies

The majority of people with non-performance cars use all-seasons anyway for their summer set.

If that works for you, go for it.

For me, Winter tires get my FWD up my steep driveway on ice, while All Season's don't. After that it's all plowed and salted, so if I had a level driveway, I probably wouldn't bother with Winter tires.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Simply no comparison.

Sure they are great in the snow/ice, but they certainly aren't necessary. Especially on the prairies

I suppose that it depends on how you define necessary...

A .32 will serve for self defense...a .45 isn't necessary.

But it certainly helps.

The best brakes, with the highest friction, aren't necessary.

But they certainly help.

So it is with snow tires.

Everyone thinks of snow as the times they got stuck, or couldn't climb a hill...and they think they need AWD as a result.

But control of the car, being able to stop in slick conditions, that comes from traction, and the better the traction, the better the control.

Even on the prairies, where you don't have the steep downhills of Vermont, or Colorado (where I used to live), you still have to stop.

Snow tires are simply far superior in cases where traction matters.

I almost put the my car in the ditch on my driveway with my all seasons a couple weeks ago. We had 1.5" of snow and I momentarily forgot I didn't have my snows on, and carried my normal amount of speed on the last corner.... Resulted in huge understeer and a big slide...
I did get to work eventually, but there were sections of ice on the highway that I really couldn't have slowed or swerved in the slightest. I never really appreciated what my ice tires were doing all winter until driving with the 3 season tires.
It was a good wakeup call to how little traction many people are driving around on though, it will help being a more defensive driver.

There are two kinds of drivers in this world.

Those who love snow tires.

And those who have never driven on them.

Speaking from the experience of just having gone through my first winter with winter tires I can tell you the difference is night and day. I was going up hills in 2-3 inches of snow with cars all around me skidding and stuck. They are worth every penny in winter conditions. I used to get stuck all the time in my driveway on snowy mornings. I did not get stuck once this winter and this winter was brutal compared to previous years. The grip in snow is phenomenal whether it be starting, stopping or cornering they grip excellent in snow.

Not that I recommend it but there were times I did 50-60mph in fresh or packed snow 2-3" on empty rural road and felt completely confident. Ice doesn't make much difference...ice is ice is skidding.

I will take FWD with snows over AWD with all seasons anyday.

Buying a set of steel wheels and snow tires is typically less than the deductible on your collision insurance assuming you aren't riding on 19" tires.

Last edited:

I'm one of those drivers !

While I don't ususally buy dedicated winters, we've had them and they are pretty amazing in winter conditions.
A mediocre set of winter tires beats a good set of all seasons every time for the 10% of the time each winter here that the roads are really bad.

I remember the last time I visited Yellowstone, I was told that it snowed like crazy the week before - after they'd already opened all the roads. So there were people stuck there who couldn't get out because they had inadequate equipment. Possibly some motorcycle riders too. I went hiking up at higher altitudes, and some of this stuff was still there, although it had already melted at maybe 5-6000 ft.

Freak snowstorms certainly happen a lot in the Sierra. There was a married couple climbing El Capitan in September. They died when the snowstorm hit and rescue crews couldn't get to them in time. They weren't equipped for freezing weather. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of people who were stranded in Yosemite Valley.

Simply no comparison.

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back