2001 4runner 190,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new here. My 01 4runner is due for its 5000 OC. I bought it 5 years ago with 155,000 from the 1st owner. I have been using the Toyota "certified" oil and OEM filter since I have owned it. No leaks or consumption but I am curious as to if a HM, HMS or blend should be in order since I am coming up on 200,000. Also, should I cut back to 3000 mile OCIs or remain at 5000 OCIs? My 4runner is all I have and I need it to last.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
smile.gif

5,000 miles is just fine. You could go longer, but that's safe. I like Wix or NAPA Gold filters for that OCI.

The benefit of switching to HM oils would be the possible prevention of leaks. Maxlife 5w-30 won't hurt anything, and that's what I'd be using.

If it doesn't leak or burn, then there is little advantage to an HM oil...

Besides, at 190,000 miles, you're not a high mileage 4 Runner. Mine only has 265,000 miles on it and it's not high mileage...

A 5,000 mile OCI is fine on just about any oil in your truck. It's pretty easy on oil...I use oil that I've found on sale, I've got Castrol Syntec going in this week. SM oil from a few years ago that I bought for $2/QT...

Last edited:
I have an 04 Tacoma with 159,000 miles, and I switched to Mobil1 EP a couple of thousand miles ago. It runs great if you were thinking of going full synthetic.

Ed

"No leaks or consumption" - I don't think you need a HM oil. Keep doing what you're doing. If it starts using oil, then you can switch.

I agree with all the others, No leeks, no consumption, Keep it up ! 5,000 miles OCI's are about perfect for that mileage I would think.

I think either way will be just fine...stick with TGMO or switch to HM oil.

I have over 180k miles on my 04 Silverado. Right now it has the old penz ultra formula 5w30 in the motor (using up my oil stash) w zero problems. You can switch if u want to and ur truck will run fine on HM oil. But there is no NEED to switch.

While there isn't a need to switch, I am betting switching to HM oil could possibly be cheaper than Toyota oil? That would be my main reason for switching. HM oil at that mileage wont hurt a thing and help prevent any future leaks too.

*5k intervals are just fine. How many quarts do these hold anyways?

Last edited:
Yeah, stick with it. I've got a 2002 Tacoma with the 3.4L. I've done 7500 mile OCIs since new with synthetic and a Toyota filter. Still running great at 180K. I'm sure I could go longer on synthetic, but 7500 is long enough that it isn't a pain in the butt, but short enough that I don't feel nervous about it.

FWIW, I started getting oil leaks recently from the rear cam plugs and from the oil pan. Instead of trying to mess with high mileage oils, etc., I just got the leaks fixed by an independent mechanic that I trust.

Originally Posted By: BRader
Hello all, new here. My 01 4runner is due for its 5000 OC. I bought it 5 years ago with 155,000 from the 1st owner. I have been using the Toyota "certified" oil and OEM filter since I have owned it. No leaks or consumption but I am curious as to if a HM, HMS or blend should be in order since I am coming up on 200,000. Also, should I cut back to 3000 mile OCIs or remain at 5000 OCIs? My 4runner is all I have and I need it to last.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
smile.gif

My '00 4runner (V6 manual) has had a steady diet of Mobil 1. At 248k, it has no leaks, and has yet to use any measurable oil. Most of that milage, I have used vanilla 5W/30 M1, but the last few years, it has been getting 0W/30 AFE, with no ill effects. I see no reason to put HM oil in it, until it actually loses some. Oh, and I use the same 5k OCI you are using, mainly because these days, it sits most of the summer, gets used a lot in winter, and on the occasional off road excersion the rest of the year. Annual mileage is only about 5k, these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back