Purolator L-1222(CUT OPEN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jk_636, you believe everything is hunky dory due to seeing filters with no failures. Others here see a problem because there have been about 60 reported failures since last spring.

You keep the hunky dory "faith", I'll use something different and continue to believe there is still a problem until I don't see any more reported tears (solid proof). I think the number is about 60 reported failures now, and that's obviously not normal.

There never were any reported media tears in any Purolator made filters until a year ago. Obviously, something happened to their product and just seeing one posted up by car51 with tears that was made in Dec 2014 doesn't give any hope that things have change. Sorry bud, that's just the way it is.
frown.gif

Poor ol' jk_636. He had to search all day and find a few non-tearing Tearolators.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Laugh all you want. I consistently post Purolator filters of all grades, synthetic and cellulose that are tear free. You have yet to explain how this phenomenon occurs Mr. O'six...
confused.gif

Perhaps that is all by chance? Could it be that the "tearolator" problem has not spread to vendors in Texas yet? Maybe I have a sixth sense that allows me to pick only the best Purolator filters at Pep Boys? Or could it be that I am a Purolator plant, a man on the inside that only posts pictures of filters that didn't tear?
happy2.gif

OR in reality, I use filters for the moderate service intervals they were designed for, on vehicles that have a maintenance schedule that is rivaled only by rotary winged aircraft. And wouldn't you know it, these filters hold up just fine everytime.
thumbsup2.gif

There is a lesson here grasshopper...
12.gif

Jk_636; our Chryslers get 5,000 oci. Gm's and fords get 6,000 oil changes. Is that moderate do you feel or is it possibly too long?

Originally Posted By: car51
Jk_636; our Chryslers get 5,000 oci. Gm's and fords get 6,000 oil changes. Is that moderate do you feel or is it possibly too long?

That my friend is for you to decide! That is part of the fun of automotive ownership and repair.
thumbsup2.gif

I base my intervals on a few variables:

-Driving conditions (City, Highway or mixture)
-Environment of operations (Hot, cold, wet, dry, dusty, etc.)
-Age of vehicle (Assumption of routine wear and tear)

Too long for Purolator. Everything else will be just fine.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
12.gif

What lesson is that? Use a Purolator filter for less than the Purolator marketing and warranty information states that it can be used in an effort to ensure that it does not tear?

2010_FX4: what does Purolator recommend you run a Purolator for miles wise? They don't say to consult your owners manual do they?

Laugh all you want. I consistently post Purolator filters of all grades, synthetic and cellulose that are tear free. You have yet to explain how this phenomenon occurs Mr. O'six...
confused.gif

Perhaps that is all by chance? Could it be that the "tearolator" problem has not spread to vendors in Texas yet? Maybe I have a sixth sense that allows me to pick only the best Purolator filters at Pep Boys? Or could it be that I am a Purolator plant, a man on the inside that only posts pictures of filters that didn't tear?
happy2.gif

OR in reality, I use filters for the moderate service intervals they were designed for, on vehicles that have a maintenance schedule that is rivaled only by rotary winged aircraft. And wouldn't you know it, these filters hold up just fine everytime.
thumbsup2.gif

12.gif

Grasshopper ... you're not the only guy on Earth who uses Purolator filters. You are basing your viewpoint on a sample size of one user - you. It would be no different than one lonely guy who posted up a filter with torn media and claimed they were all bad. Just because you haven't seen one with your own eyes doesn't mean they are all good. What's so hard to grasp there? LoL

Some guys here have had multiple filters tear on them, some guys have had none. It's the luck of the roll. Keep rolling and sooner or later you're apt to get snake eyes.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Too long for Purolator. Everything else will be just fine.
smirk.gif

+1 ... LoL. Purolator thinks it's still 1968 apparently. 3K or 3 months OCI.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
12.gif

What lesson is that? Use a Purolator filter for less than the Purolator marketing and warranty information states that it can be used in an effort to ensure that it does not tear?

Heck, just swap 'em out every 1000 miles to be safe. LoL

2010_FX4: what does Purolator recommend you run a Purolator for miles wise? They don't say to consult your owners manual do they?

Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. So following the red text, my FX4 is either 5K or 7.5K. Obviously, I am running extended OCIs and therefore, there are NO Purolator filters that can meet my needs.

It is ok, he likes to ignore my 3,010mi failure (after the 3,700-4,000mi failure) with PureOne and a high bypass spec. Back-to-back filter failures. One filter failure is bad, but plausible... two is a serious problem. Shame on you, shame on me, never again.

Here is the trick, Purolator filters fail. You don't see the same failure for cheap jobbers, so why does the middle/middleupper-priced (as well as the tearolator jobbers) fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back