The Brake Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nephew just graduated high school and his parents bought him an F150 similar to mine. His is an 08 F150 XL, 5 speed, with 109K miles. I admit that it's in great shape. It just needs a few minor mechanical repairs, such as the brakes.
Here is where we get into a p*****g contest on what he should use as brake pads. I suggested semi metallic Wagner Thermo-Quiets all around, but his dad is gung ho on using Duralast Gold ceramic.
The rotors are in such great shape that I suggested just roughing them up with some emory cloth and install the pads. At least he agree's with me on that.
Any suggestions on how to convince him he only needs semi metallic pads instead of ceramic pads or am I missing something here? He will only be driving it to school (LSU-23 miles one way) and on weekends when he needs to go to the store or a friends house.
confused2.gif

Well, I prefer ceramic pads but[BUT], I can't really answer for how ceramic works on a PU truck!

Ceramic aren't too much more money than semi-metallic if cost is a concern! If your nephew were towing, then I would suggest the semi-met's but for normal driving, I much prefer the ceramic pads as they have eliminated the things that I don't like in other friction materials.

My buddy(BILL), used Wagner TQ Ceramic on his F-350 PSD and he towed/hauled. He loved the Wagner TQ ceramic brake pads but, they didn't last as long as Semi-Mets(small margin) for his application. So, needless to say, he switched back to semi-metallic. Coincidently, BILL switched to Duralast GOLD
smile.gif

And too, BILL's truck weighs 8000 lbs and he uses the truck like a truck(not a car)! This thing is a MONSTER!
laugh.gif

But, for stopping power, Bill said the TQ Ceramic were just fine!

So, IDK, this is just one story. Good luck!

Last edited:
Dura Last Golds are my current favorite. We use the semi metallics on the heavy service vans (9k every day) and the ceramic formula on the pickups.

We did not like the Platinums as they ate rotors like crazy.

Brake pads are like ice cream, over a million flavors...

I'll probably get flamed but I found the semi metallic pads to outlast the ceramic pads on E and F series Ford vans and trucks. I would use them.

I wouldn't even get into a discussion on brakes with somebody elses kid involved. As far as brakes in general, cheaper isn't better - there's too much on the line.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I wouldn't even get into a discussion on brakes with somebody elses kid involved. As far as brakes in general, cheaper isn't better - there's too much on the line.

I agree 100%. Brakes and tyres are the most important parts of any vehicle, safety is always first.

The thing is, if they take your advice and fit the semi-metallic pads and then he runs into the back of someone it will be your fault. If they fit their own pads and crash you have a lot of leverage in how the ceramics don't stop as well as the semi-met pad.

Just be glad that he is paying attention to the brakes! Some parents say here you go, give the kid a car, and no teaching training about maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Let the kids father decide. If something goes afoul with the brakes at some point its going to be your fault.

I couldn't agree more! I like being able to blame someone else if there's ever a problem and say, "Hey, that was YOUR choice...not mine."

smile.gif

Ed

The brakes being acknowledged and getting replaced is much more important (and makes a bigger difference) than any difference in material.

I usually go cheap rotor and decent pad. Would like to try ceramics.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Just be glad that he is paying attention to the brakes! Some parents say here you go, give the kid a car, and no teaching training about maintenance.

I know a lot of people like that. One friend of mine isn't going to change the timing belt on his J30 Accord until it snaps ...

I'd go with the Wagner TQ's.
I ran ceramic pads on my Camaro. Once.
The only reason that people like ceramic pads is they don't put dust on the wheels when they wear. In my case, the friction material crumbled into little pieces of gravel when I got them hot, and they wore out in 1/4 of the time than any semi-metallic pad that I have run.

Ceramics are for toilets, not brake pads.

I am not too knowledgeable on the subject, but I've been told/ have read that ceramic isnt good on the rotors?

As for the advice, I too agree with Trav.

* I have always just bought the mid grade pads and have had good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I am not too knowledgeable on the subject, but I've been told/ have read that ceramic isnt good on the rotors?

As for the advice, I too agree with Trav.

* I have always just bought the mid grade pads and have had good luck.

I have read just the opposite! That ceramic pad material are more rotor friendly. But, IDK if they hold up to harder use as well as semi metallic.

I currently have the Duralast gold c max pads and the gold rotors (carbon coated) on my Equinox. I have been really happy with their performance, low dusting and quiet operation.

You really gotta read the fine print on brake pads. So many variable. Pad materials. Bonding agents. Coefficient of friction. Recommend temperature range. What temp brake fade starts and how big of a % the fade is.

Then the little things.

The basic is either pads are good. Usually a premium semi metallic is better for hard use and heat. And ceramics are good for clean wheels. Silent operation and repeatable performance while doing the first two things.

You could compromise and go with Akebono ProAct ceramic. Might be the best available. Much less brake dust with ceramic. But there is no standard for ceramic. If there is some ceramic bits in the brake pad they can call them ceramic.

I would avoid a house brand of brake pad from AAP or AZ. They can can suppliers whenever a contract ends and keep the same name.

With Wagner or Akebono you have a solid manufacturer behind you with a reputation on the line.

blueovalfitter:

are you able to see the pad markings on either of the brake pads you mentioned?

if not I would go 1 step up to the duralast max or the brake best select-both show FF ratings and should work great for the overall mentioned driving conditions.

I favor the duralast max, should the driver get stuck in some heavy stop and go traffic around the university especially in the southern heat likely to be experienced...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back