Dino Add Pack Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering why (all 5w30) mobil 5000 is the cheapest gallon jug vs Castrol GTX, $14 vs $17, what major additive changes are there? I might switch from castrol to PYB soon.

I would guess the advertising and marketing has a lot to do with the price differences. Mobil 5000 is every bit as good as the more expensive brands.

Go to Petroleum quality institute of America and you can read about add packs in many different lubricants. They will answer your question about add packages.

Mobil 5000 is a fine product. Just as good as any other dino lube.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Go to Petroleum quality institute of America and you can read about add packs in many different lubricants. They will answer your question about add packages.

Mobil 5000 is a fine product. Just as good as any other dino lube.

I completely agree with this, My mother in Law limps along $1,500 cars for several years before she changes up. I do her oil and 90% of the time this is what I put in her cars. (or Wal-Marts Supertech) either or..

Both GTX and MS5K use a Sodium based add pack in 5W-30. You will find that Sodium is not a BITOG favorite (Molybdenum and Boron are) but the UOA results from these oils speak to their quality and in all actuality, any major brand will work admirably. Incidentally, according to PQIA, both GTX and MS5K have low Noack numbers (for conventional oils) as well. In the 13% range.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html

Last edited:
I am not sure why Castrol is so pricey. It doesnt have an add pack worth bragging about and not many people here seem to use the conventional/ synblend unless they were able to buy it $1 per quart at AZ last winter. I am betting they feed off the old school 20w50 GTX crowd. After working at a parts store for a while, I noticed Castrol being the favorite regardless of what was on sale for under $20 with a filter.

This is why I like PYB so much. Its a great oil and is actually a cheaper conventional at normal prices. I stocked up on the HM formulation when it was on rollback last fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back