Got pulled over in Junction City KS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided not to completely stop on off ramp from I 70 and made a right into JC. Got lit up and immediately signed to pull over. Cop walks up and before he can greet me I wave and holler that I know I was in the wrong. He laughs, I give him my DL and CC permit and he goes off for a bit. Comes back and lets me off and thanks me for my time. On my back window I have a Support Wounded Warriors sticker and a 2015 Gold KS Highway Patrol Donation sticker. It really paid off having those and kept my insurance rates at the regular rate. I would not have been the least upset had he given me a citation. Learning from this I can say be friendly and honest to police. It goes a long way and if you can donate to local law enforcement or military; they do a tough job and they need to know we can and support them. I am greatful to their service of this republic.

sounds like you are equally grateful that you got out of a ticket and that your donations "paid off" as much as you are grateful for their service.

Reminds me of the controversy regarding the CA 11-99 foundation, and the whole mess regarding people selling fake 11-99 license plate frames and the Chp foundation suing them over it and getting investigated why this was such a big deal;

On one hand they claim that a donor doesn't get special treatment, but on the other hand they doth protest too much of people putting on frames that they can claim just raise "awareness" to their cause. The whole thing I think went down in flames as being perceived as being corrupt.

So while you're happy and you are trying to give them a pat on the back; with the same brush even mentioning your stickers means you're really saying there is some corruption there where "buying" a sticker gets you special treatment. good to know

Last edited:
I am skeptical about decals being used to avoid tickets. I believe traffic tickets should be issued (or not) based on the severity of the offense -- NOT who has what sticker on their car.

I knew a guy who had a bunch of "100 club" stickers on his car. He was the type who lived and partied hard, and who resented the police. I asked about the stickers, and asked if he supported the police. He said "F- the police! I hate the so-and-so's! I just put the stickers on to get them off my "rear"!

Originally Posted By: Marco620
2015 Gold KS Highway Patrol Donation sticker.

Those cop donations are a joke. If you'd been pulled over by a female trooper in Junction City, it could have been my niece. She will tell you first hand NOT to donate to these organizations and she will also say that the little plastic sticker will not stop anybody from writing a ticket. About 99.9% of the donations don't go to the cops but to the telemarketers themselves. They give just a few crumbs to the cops to keep make it sound legit.
BTW, when you figure everything up, including all the perks, the law enforcement group make a decent wage. Why do you feel you have to give more to them when a telemarketer calls?

Yesterday evening I had an interesting ride home. I was driving old jalopy ( 99 Camry ) which I usually drive much faster. I was bombing down in the right lane as both left and middle lanes were clogged with traffic. Up ahead I notice a suspicious unmarked Crown Vicrotira in the left lane. I glanced at my speedo which was north of nine zero :-( I braked and then stayed back in the same right lane but kept my eyes on the car in the left lane for few miles. Then I see him switch the lane. I drop it down to under speed limit in the right lane and stay there. I see him then go to breakdown lane. I am still way far back. So I moved to middle just in case. He does not stop and takes off from the breakdown lane. I am still behind but now really sweating bullets. I slow down even further to keep him in front of me. He goes in the middle lane and nabs his victim. I know for sure that guy had never passed the unmarked car. I am not sure what triggered this unmarked cop to pull him over. Everybody was doing at least eighty with the unmarked cop for few miles.

I thanked my lucky stars and drove at speed limit for the rest of the way home!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Yesterday evening I had an interesting ride home. I was driving old jalopy ( 99 Camry ) which I usually drive much faster. I was bombing down in the right lane as both left and middle lanes were clogged with traffic. Up ahead I notice a suspicious unmarked Crown Vicrotira in the left lane. I glanced at my speedo which was north of nine zero :-( I braked and then stayed back in the same right lane but kept my eyes on the car in the left lane for few miles. Then I see him switch the lane. I drop it down to under speed limit in the right lane and stay there. I see him then go to breakdown lane. I am still way far back. So I moved to middle just in case. He does not stop and takes off from the breakdown lane. I am still behind but now really sweating bullets. I slow down even further to keep him in front of me. He goes in the middle lane and nabs his victim. I know for sure that guy had never passed the unmarked car. I am not sure what triggered this unmarked cop to pull him over. Everybody was doing at least eighty with the unmarked cop for few miles.

Maybe the cop had a plate scanner and registered a hit for that vehicle. It had been tested in my area a couple of years ago. They nabbed a few offenders fairly quickly if IIRC.

Heh, sometimes you just have to pull back the reigns and behave a bit.

I've noticed some increased enforcement activity of late up here. Almost tempted to spend the bucks and finish my ham radio install, give me something else to do rather than zipping around, as a form of amusement.

If you feel like you get nabbed in the left lane in heavy traffic, it'll take the cop a minute or two to catch up to you. Smoothly, stealthily, but quickly move to the right lane and turn on your headlights... or turn off your DRLs. Camoflauge! Also, "carry yourself differently" in your additude in your drivers seat, and how the car fits the lane.

I've pulled over as soon as I saw the cop put his car in drive (reverse lights flash) so he wouldn't have to chase me down. Just got a warning. I joked, heh heh, it looked like you wanted to talk to me.
blush.gif

I got out of my last ticket by having a Weatherby sticker on my back window. The officer noticed it and we started talking guns. My 85 in a 65 became a "don't do it again" in short order. It's a great idea to be fair and all but I love small perks and exceptions to the rules.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

90+ (you say) in the right lane and you are SURE no one will turn into it t in front of you withoutlooking. Sure of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Decided not to completely stop on off ramp from I 70 and made a right into JC. ...

So apparently you didn't see the PoPo...

Problem is that you may not have seen - for instance - a couple on a new trike out for a ride... and you may have hit them ... and she may have had a traumatic brain injury... like what happened to my friends... when someone decided not to stop.

This is why I like yields instead of stop signs. I cant think of any off ramp that has a stop sign? Ill have to pay more attention.

I told one officer that pulled me over that their might have been parallax in his view of the red light and my vehicle. He just said drive carefully.

I also was told that at least in NY, as long as your front bumper is over the "stop line" when the light turns red, you are OK for a red light. I was never sure.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I also was told that at least in NY, as long as your front bumper is over the "stop line" when the light turns red, you are OK for a red light. I was never sure.

What did he mean by this?

I follow the rules of the road so I can avoid COPS. I found with rare exception most government employees are inept.

In NY State they have premium benefits. The avg State trooper with OT makes over $100,000 a year. The last time I got a speeding ticket and pleaded NOT GUILTY the Trooper was in court on OT while on defended myself. Never again say I, will I pour money int their over paid pockets. If your on comp which at any time 20% of the COPS in my city are , you get full pay and pay no Fed or State taxes on it.

A local COP when back to work after being on Admin leave for 5 years and collecting full pay. The city was investigating him and decided he can come back to work BUT must be re trained first. He can retire at 50% pay in 20 years and spent 5 years sitting at home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Donald

What did he mean by this?

On every intersection with a stop light there is a line across the lane called a "stop line". When the light is red you pull up to the "stop line" and wait for a green light. When the light is yellow going to red you need to be into the intersection before it turns red. So having your front bumper over the "stop line" before it turns red means your car was into the intersection before it turns red.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
90+ (you say) in the right lane and you are SURE no one will turn into it t in front of you withoutlooking. Sure of it.
But honestly, it would have been only 10 mph differential as everybody was doing approximately 80. If I start worrying about people changing lanes without looking, I will never be able to pass anybody!

I have a radar detector. It lets me know where they are running radar and has paid for itself countless times by alerting me to speed traps. They aren't 100% but the cops have to work harder to ticket you when you are running with one.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
The avg State trooper with OT makes over $100,000 a year.

Try 200s here in Ma. There is a public site to look at the salaries. They get OT and double time to sleep in their cars with lights flashing in construction zones. Mandatory.

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
I have a radar detector. It lets me know where they are running radar and has paid for itself countless times by alerting me to speed traps. They aren't 100% but the cops have to work harder to ticket you when you are running with one.

I've never had one and haven't gotten tickets in a long while. It's more sporting to just pay attention to the road. You just have to pay attention to little clues like bends in the road, hills, other cars braking for no reason, being aware of traffic around you so that they don't come up behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back