ProMotive PH 241TORN!! (CUT OPEN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks. Good day and did a oil change on one of our older 2010 Caravans. This one had 4,799~ on unknown oil. Not surprised to be honest. Any questions just ask. This filter was manufactured on August 1, 2014 "line D" and on 1st shift.

2vrwtx4.jpg

16auxag.jpg

29egbhk.jpg

1zqwrb6.jpg

34rgcwm.jpg

x10wa0.jpg

xc0o04.jpg

2wfpnuq.jpg

2yl018i.jpg

1568rja.jpg

ZeeOSIX; I am kinda wondering what the odd, black goo at bottom of can is? Didnt touch it as thought may have been some glue or adhesive that came loose
21.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
ZeeOSIX; I am kinda wondering what the odd, black goo at bottom of can is? Didnt touch it as thought may have been some glue or adhesive that came loose
21.gif

Probably engine carbon deposits that were filtered out and collected inside the can.

Originally Posted By: car51
LOL! Yeah, thought that being made earlier in 2014, it would have had a chance. NOT!

The ProMotive by Tearolator made in Dec 2014 was torn also, so apparently nothing has changed with the manufacturing. Super wide pleat spacing causing the pleats to fold over from oil flow, and pretty brittle/weak media is the formula for tearing. Same failure formula from the start of this problem.

Push the pleats sideways across the whole length of the pleat, and you'll probably hear media tearing sounds.

When I first got on this site purolators were Gods gift to the car world. Now we are finding out they are possibly one of the worst filters when it comes to pleat reliability.

It makes me wander what other stuff is overhyped on this forum, and in a couple years will also not be near as good as everyone once thought.

^^^ I think Purolator had a good product, I used them for years ... never ever saw media tearing reports on this site until about a year ago. Something has changed with their materials and/or manufacturing process. Maybe they are trying to cut costs, and it's costing them instead. First lesson in manufacturing is that cutting cost to the point of causing an inferior product is a sure way to lose sales and revenue, vs. increasing revenue like originally planned from such a move.

ZeeOSix; yeah my grandpa tells me that years ago (didnt ask how long ago this was) Purolator stuff was great. He heard while back about the Purolator brand/s fuel filters were going down too
frown.gif
I definitely agree that something somewhere in Fayetteville plant is gone WAY downhill too

What is interesting is that the tearing is not media specific. It happens in their lowest filter up to the PureOne.

YEP, happened in a Tec Select #3387A from our Chevy express van too and that one had shy of 5,600 miles. From December 14'.

This isnt what our shop uses. It had a oil change done somewhere else, and this is what garbage they threw on it. Our shop uses NAPA stuff

Is this one a double pleat torn or single pleat torn? Buy one tear, get one free? If no one bothered to cut filters, look where we would be. Maybe Walmart should be told so they stop selling them to unsuspecting people, and let the company know why with a large lost contract behind it.

Cheapo jobber filter, made by a reputable company to a cheaper spec to save cost (not that anyone else does that), people who care about their vehicles wouldnt use filters like these anyway, same old story on a different day...

12.gif
But as always, thanks for the photos! Everyone here loves filter photos!

Last edited:
GoodTimes; this filter, one pleat was torn but you can see the one pleat next to it could've torn easily. So 1 torn pleat sir

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Cheapo jobber filter, made by a reputable company to a cheaper spec to save cost (not that anyone else does that), people who care about their vehicles wouldnt use filters like these anyway, same old story on a different day...

Same exact failure mode on the Classic, PureOne and Bosch line. "Cheapo jobber filter"? ... could be they all are.
eek.gif

Man I just got a Pureone from AAP.... Thought about putting it on my ladys Camry. I am not going to do that now. I thought the issue was with their Classics. Ohh well. I am going to get the Fram TG and call it good. We just had a car blow up six months ago when oil cooler gave out and emptied 4.5 quarts of oil on the highway in less than a quarter mile. My lady drove it for 4 more miles until it locked up. That trail of oil stayed in the pavement for 4 months after it happened. So we dont need another potential problem. This is not worth tearing up a really good car that was a barn find.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Same exact failure mode on the Classic, PureOne and Bosch line. "Cheapo jobber filter"? ... could be they all are.
eek.gif

Wix's "cheapo jobber filters" don't tear. Just sayin.....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

eek.gif

Wix's "cheapo jobber filters" don't tear. Just sayin.....
laugh.gif

I hear ya - plenty of super cheap filters out there that look good after a 5K to 10K OCI. I was trying to say I guess all of Purolator's filters are "cheap jobber filters" since they all tear the same. Seems the more jk_636 tries to make it look like everything is good, it just spirals down faster and faster to end up a smoking hole in the ground.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back