Extended Drain Filter for Subaru FB25 - Non DI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NO2

My Subaru 2.5 ('13) is coming off warranty soon and I'd like to use M1EP for 15K OCI. The bypass valve spec on the Blue Subaru filters is 23PSI, on most of the long life filters like Fram Ultra and M1, is is 13PSI. Is the additional filtration area on these filters sufficient to compensate for the lower bypass pressure? My question is should I :

a) Stick with Subaru OEM and change filter every 7500mi, but keep oil for 15K (and add make up oil at change)
b) Change to FU, or M1 oil filter and change at 15K
c) Use something like a Napa Gold with correct bypass pressure and change at 15K
d) Stick with the factory recommended OCI and continue to use regular synthetic and OEM filter.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Fram Ultra. No worries for 15k OCI. Flow is 10gpm at 4psi delta p. Lots of headroom in flow capability.

Either filter will be fine. In fact, they're even made by the same company.

And of course, you can always ask Motorking about either Fram product and why they're ok with the lower bypass setting.

Of course, Wix makes great filters too. If you like to order your filters in bulk, there's filter1.com but of course nothing wrong with just buying them at Napa. Actually, Napa Platinum (Wix XP) is on sale for $9.99 this month, and sometimes they're on sale for $7.99.

Also, what's your riving like? City, highway, short trips? How many miles do you put on in a year?

If you plan on going 15k between oil changes, why not switch to a higher grade oil along with the better filter? Check out Royal Purple HPS and the RP oil filter. This would be a winning (and safe) combination for your application! Mobil 1 is a great oil, but I'm still personally not sold on it for extremely long (15k ish range) OCIs, especially if it is primarily city traffic. Good luck!!!

49.gif

Do a used oil analysis at 10K miles. I would stick with a filter with the recommended bypass setting. Although the FB has put the ring issue behind them. I am still a little nervous about the long range durbility of this engine. That's why I would not push it over 10K miles without a UOA.

I don't know how much room you have for a larger filter, but my S2000(motorcycles too) have the same thread as the 2.5. If you have the room, see if a Baldwin B202 will fit. It has a 20 psi by-pass and I run that filter on my S2000 for two oil changes(15k miles).

ROD

Go with the Wix/Napa/Microguard(all Wix products). That is what I use with both of my Subies. Just remember "57055" for the gold/Wix and/or "7055" as the first number can vary for model number (cheaper variants use the 2 prefix).

Lucky you, coming off of warranty (I have a way to go), I would test running 5w30 rather than the 0w20 and do a UOA at 10K. Unless you are happy topping off with 0w20, I would not do a extended with a 0w20 on the FB without a lot of history/UOA telling me otherwise.

Driving is about 70% highway / 30% city , 16-25 mi one way commute. Futuredoc, why not extended OCI 0w-20? Dilution?

Last edited:
Regardless of oil and filter, UOA with TBN is a must prior to extending oil interval. 15k could be hit or miss depending on driving style and engine misdesign.

Don't worry about bypass PSI. I prefer lower PSI bypass.
The high bypass is to catch all that conventional sludge. You are using a synth. No worry.

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

Oil sample can be drawn from the dipstick tube.

When extending interval, check and top off as needed regularly.

Originally Posted By: NO2
Driving is about 70% highway / 30% city , 16-25 mi one way commute. Futuredoc, why not extended OCI 0w-20? Dilution?

Mostly due to oil consumption. Without a history of UOA saying othrwise, I would keep 0w20 to the 7,500/10,000 range. Because a lot of other Subaru owners with using a quart every 4-6K (those are without the oil consumption "problem"), I think something is going on with the FB and the 0w20 requirement (and I am a supporter of the 0w20 use). I am using about 0.5 per 6K with 80% city driving, but others with highway mileage are seeing more oil use. I don't know why.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Mostly due to oil consumption. Without a history of UOA saying othrwise, I would keep 0w20 to the 7,500/10,000 range. Because a lot of other Subaru owners with using a quart every 4-6K (those are without the oil consumption "problem"), I think something is going on with the FB and the 0w20 requirement (and I am a supporter of the 0w20 use). I am using about 0.5 per 6K with 80% city driving, but others with highway mileage are seeing more oil use. I don't know why.

Subaru had a TSB for that

Originally Posted By: Stewie

yup... but that is mostly for the 1,200 miles per quart issue. There is still "normal" consumption issues where it gets to be a quart low before the 7,500 interval (and I am at 6,000 intervals for my '14OB). Some are addressing the oil issues sooner, My thing is that going to a 15K interval without more history and preferably some UOA to back it up is not as easy as some other makes.

Originally Posted By: Stewie

yup... but that is mostly for the 1,200 miles per quart issue. There is still "normal" consumption issues where it gets to be a quart low before the 7,500 interval (and I am at 6,000 intervals for my '14OB). Some are addressing the oil issues sooner, My thing is that going to a 15K interval without more history and preferably some UOA to back it up is not as easy as some other makes.

Yeah IMO 15k without UOA might be harmful to the engine.

Originally Posted By: Al
Do a used oil analysis at 10K miles. I...

Agreed! Definitely extend only with the use of a UOA.

Have you considered an Amsoil filter? They're very good quality and usually rated for at least 15k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back