neighbor vandalized my floodlight, my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yep, the neighbor is looking pretty sane right now. Shooting someone over a light?
50.gif

Creatures that initially destroy private property and trespass usually move on to bigger crimes which can include attacking others. If this kook is unstable, I would bet that he escalates his activities even if cutehumor simply did nothing at all about the issue.

The beautiful thing is that "the law" such as the Castle Doctrine allow decent law abiding citizens to protect their property and person with the use of deadly force the additional benefit is that it puts other potential idiots on notice that they could be eliminated too, if they try the same thing.

Ah yes, the do unto others before they do onto you theory. Or kill the weirdo before he does something else. Or how pot is a gateway drug.

It's time to shoot all the extremists!

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I still think to go to the house and knock on his door.

I would hesitate doing that. If this neighbor guy is unstable, he could take it as a threatening move and who knows if he has guns in the house. Things could escalate fast.

The same thing could happen if the police are called, if he's as unstable as some think he is. Why does everyone just assume calling the police will end the matter?

Talking to the police about this guy isn't going to make the guy go off the deep end if he doesn't know about the OP going to the police for advice. What this does is let the police know there is something wacko going on with this guy. If this wacko neighbor starts escalating things, then the police already know what's going on and why. If the guy happens to be unapproachable with a civil conversation on what his issue is and the OP wants this stuff to stop before it ratchets up more and more, then it wouldn't hurt to touch base with the police on the matter.

I have a feeling if that neighbor was the one who posted here describing how he has a crazy neighbor who was annoying him by pointing the floodlights at his house and keeping him up all night, everyone here would be telling him to destroy the floodlights, shoot them with a BB gun, put a bag of burning dog feces on his porch, etc, etc, then shoot him if the guy comes over

After reading this thread, I question the sanity of some people here. Hopefully it's just internet bravado

The Castle Doctrine is not a blanket protection to kill anyone who enters your property. If you provoked someone with your floodlights (especially when you admitted you'd get BRIGHTER floodlights just to annoy him), and he entered your yard (not your house) to damage your lights, and you killed him over that, you would be looking at serious prison time. Don't think Castle Doctrine gives you free reign to do anything you please. The use of force must be proportionate to the threat. Damage to a $20 exterior light (a misdemeanor) is not justification for homicide

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yep, the neighbor is looking pretty sane right now. Shooting someone over a light?
50.gif

Creatures that initially destroy private property and trespass usually move on to bigger crimes which can include attacking others. If this kook is unstable, I would bet that he escalates his activities even if cutehumor simply did nothing at all about the issue.

The beautiful thing is that "the law" such as the Castle Doctrine allow decent law abiding citizens to protect their property and person with the use of deadly force the additional benefit is that it puts other potential idiots on notice that they could be eliminated too, if they try the same thing.

Ah yes, the do unto others before they do onto you theory. Or kill the weirdo before he does something else. Or how pot is a gateway drug.

It's time to shoot all the extremists!

according to antique, guys like this "usually move on to bigger crimes".hahaha. right. I'm sure that this guy is planning a bank robbery, or a kidnapping, as we speak.
do you "extremists" here ever hear yourselves when you speak? but, your posts are funny, so keep up the good work.

shooting the guy is not punishment enough.build a large gallows in the front yard for punishment and deterrent.several signs stating that trespassers will be hung, and you're all set.crucifixon is an option, as stated in another thread.
of course, a few well placed claymore's to protect the perimeter are a staple in property protection.
wolf's line -- "it's time to shoot all the extremists !" is the best line that I've heard all year. worthy of a sig line.

here's a thought -- make the punishment fit the crime. but, that's no fun. hang 'em, and hang 'em high.
at any rate, once again, thanks to a few for the laughs, and have a good day.

I think a better idea would be to rig up something that would be harmless, but would scare the pants off the guy, or dump a bucket of water on him, something along those lines...that would get the message across without hurting anyone...a couple times doing this and the guy would stop...

I made it to page #5.. my eyes are bleeding. This is clearly a very, very nice upper middle class neighborhood. Id guess this neighbor simply is annoyed and avoiding confrontation. Are his actions immature, yes without question, do I think he would be violent if the OP went to speak with him, Its unlikely. However being put on the spot with questions of why you tampering with my lights could put a guilty person on the offensive & yes the conversation could easily go South.

My 2 cents ? redirect you floods, throw in some lower wattage bulbs, put a lock on your gate. see where it goes from there.
myself, If you don't know this neighbor, the first conversation you have with him being a negative one sets the tone for your relationship.. try catching him on the sidewalk, or doing yard work during the day if need be and introduce yourself casual and ask his opinion on your lighting and if its offensive.. 2 pennies.

Originally Posted By: yeti
wolf's line -- "it's time to shoot all the extremists !" is the best line that I've heard all year. worthy of a sig line.

It's been around a long while, it's basically "Shoot all extremists!". I mentioned it to a friend of mine and he was in total agreement, til I mentioned that it's a little extremist don't you think?

Extremists seem to come in many flavors, sometimes a mirror will reveal one you never suspected!

But this entire thread makes me ill. I've had bad neighbors in suburbia, it is a terrible thing indeed. My heart goes out to the OP as this is a losing situation for all involved.

Glad I live where the houses are at least several hundred yards apart!

Last edited:
andrewg said:
If the OP gets this clown on a recording....the authorities WILL face him. That, in my opinion, will not lead to further escalation. It will cause him to realize that now he must pay for his actions. No more hiding.

In my opinion it will end at that point.

All speculation and conjecture.

Speculation and conjecture?

What an astoundingly insightful comment on my post.

You must have had difficulty comprehending my last sentence...."In my opinion it will end at that point"

Your post really is a bit late to the party since the OP has already set his trap.

He did the right thing and now it's entirely up to the nutty neighbor and his actions.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Extremists seem to come in many flavors, sometimes a mirror will reveal one you never suspected!

But this entire thread makes me ill. I've had bad neighbors in suburbia, it is a terrible thing indeed. My heart goes out to the OP as this is a losing situation for all involved.

Glad I live where the houses are at least several hundred yards apart!

Yep, there is nothing worse than feuding neighbors or living next to neighbors who are total whack jobs.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I made it to page #5.. my eyes are bleeding. This is clearly a very, very nice upper middle class neighborhood. Id guess this neighbor simply is annoyed and avoiding confrontation. Are his actions immature, yes without question, do I think he would be violent if the OP went to speak with him, Its unlikely. However being put on the spot with questions of why you tampering with my lights could put a guilty person on the offensive & yes the conversation could easily go South.

My 2 cents ? redirect you floods, throw in some lower wattage bulbs, put a lock on your gate. see where it goes from there.
myself, If you don't know this neighbor, the first conversation you have with him being a negative one sets the tone for your relationship.. try catching him on the sidewalk, or doing yard work during the day if need be and introduce yourself casual and ask his opinion on your lighting and if its offensive.. 2 pennies.

I'm with you on this one. I have no idea why this issue required 19 pages and the outlay of hundreds of dollars in security equipment, etc.

I've had to have unpleasant conversations with neighbors before, and am sure I will again. You are 100% correct in that setting the tone of the meeting is critical. Ask a question and let him talk. Don't be confrontational. It's a pretty hard converation to have, but odds are pretty good the outcome would be positive if the converstation is managed accordingly.

Here lies the problem:

The nut job neighbor didn't approach the op and say something like "Hey how's it going? I was wondering if it'd be ok to possibly adjust your floodlight so it's not shining into my window. I'm not trying t be a pain and I apologize if I am. Oh by the way,my name is so and so,nice to finally meet you! If there's anything I can ever do for you,just holler".

If I had a neighbor approach me in that manner,I'd apologize immediately and adjust my light accordingly. Then offer him a beer or invite him over to a bbq or something. BUT,that's not the way it went down. He took it upon himself to trespass and vandalize the op's property. After that,all bets are off.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why is it ok for you to break the law, but the neighbor breaking the law [censored] you off? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Because the GREAT state of Texas has our AWESOME Texas Castle Doctrine Law
cheers3.gif
If that creep tried those stunts on someone's ranch or farm here,he would've already met his maker.

So how would this castle doctrine work in your favor when you go to his castle and choke him.

I would imagine that if you did that, this castle doctrine would get *you* shot.

Here's an idea, if you don't want to approach him face to face, send him an old fashioned letter.

Castle doctrine, deadly force?

I wouldn't want to meet my maker knowing I killed or injured someone over nothing.

Real serious lowlifes giving that advice.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Castle doctrine, deadly force?

I wouldn't want to meet my maker knowing I killed or injured someone over nothing.

Real serious lowlifes giving that advice.

Many tough talking people on keyboards. Internet warriors.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Here lies the problem:

The nut job neighbor didn't approach the op and say something like "Hey how's it going? I was wondering if it'd be ok to possibly adjust your floodlight so it's not shining into my window. I'm not trying t be a pain and I apologize if I am. Oh by the way,my name is so and so,nice to finally meet you! If there's anything I can ever do for you,just holler".

If I had a neighbor approach me in that manner,I'd apologize immediately and adjust my light accordingly. Then offer him a beer or invite him over to a bbq or something. BUT,that's not the way it went down. He took it upon himself to trespass and vandalize the op's property. After that,all bets are off.

This is true and I truly understand most all the negative feelings toward this neighbor, in my world even if im wronged id try to be the bigger man and set the tone to a positive and try and get along with somebody living right across the way. That's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back