tcw3 oil vs other 2 stroke oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one wants to use 2 stroke oil in their automotive fuel systems to the apx. ratio of 1oz per 5 gallons of gas, why is the general consensus to use Tcw3 rated oil, and not regular 2 stroke oil that's meant for high temp applications? you'll find plenty of people complaining that tcw3 though touted as "ash less" has left many deposits, basically what I am trying to conclude is regular 2 stroke oil is meant for much higher heat higher RPM applications such as chainsaws and weed wackers, and Tcw3 for lower temps/lower RPM apps. like a water cooled boat motor, tcw3 may not be able to stand up to IC temps and regular 2-stroke might not burn off in an automotive application, what's your take?!

I was always told that the TCW-3 was for water cooled engines. Allegedly functions better at the lower and more controlled temps of water cooled engines...

zach,

i can't speak to your post, i came here to learn myself and the discussions on this board are very helpful.

I have started experimenting with the tcw3 myself but have not pulled any plugs to check on fouling. I will likely do so this summer.

Now that having been said, when researching for a two stroke oil to use in my gasoline engine, i ran across a post or perhaps an article that advocated the use of synthetic 2 stroke oil as being better than non synthetic(if i find said article/post i will add to discussion later), that is all i could find besides the already linked to site containing the work from sarge.

Hope this adds to the discussion. good day

Last edited:
Tc-w3 won't leave any deposits behind. They burn cleanly and thus won't foul plugs or affect sensor function.
I've been using tc-w3 in everything I own for years now and over 100k on 2 different trucks. The cats are still good and the exhaust O2 sensors are operating fine.
And my high mile engines routinely beat their EPA fuel economy rating. Heck my 01 sierra c3 has a 6.0 in it. It's awd. It's the same engine the escalade has which has more hp/tq than the regular 6.0 and on the highway it'll knock down 22mpg consistently.
It never gets less than 20mpg highway,unless I'm battling a serious headwind or pulling a trailer.
My old 04 hemi ram quad cab 4x4 got 20+mpg in the winter with 4wd engaged with my frankenbrew fuel mix and mos2 in the sump.
And that's with 240k on the Odo.

I've found that every little bit helps and when you can find little things to improve mpg you also improve the running condition of the engine which increases efficiency as a whole.
Not everyone has the same experiences as I do so others may see no benefit at all. In my experience I've found little things and those little things help me save dollars at the pumps,dollars in reduced maintenance costs and lessens my carbon footprint.

I would add that in order to be tcw3 certified, the lubricant has to meet epa emissions standards even in today's two stroke engines that run at higher cylinder temperature and compression.

Most air cooled engine manufacturers don't want tcw3 in their engines.

i don't know of anyone that has had any problems running tcw3 in a 4 cycle engine as an ucl, nor have I heard of anyone having problems running it in a chainsaw or weed wacker as a lubricant either. I have been using it in all three with no problems.

an old timer once told me that the oil in 2 cycles was for lubricating and once it did that job it was burned up and out. he also told me that the gasoline actually did the cooling in the engine. no science to that just an anecdote so take it as such...

good day

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
i don't know of anyone that has had any problems running tcw3 in a 4 cycle engine as an ucl, nor have I heard of anyone having problems running it in a chainsaw or weed wacker as a lubricant either. I have been using it in all three with no problems.

an old timer once told me that the oil in 2 cycles was for lubricating and once it did that job it was burned up and out. he also told me that the gasoline actually did the cooling in the engine. no science to that just an anecdote so take it as such...

good day

Gasoline cools the incoming charge a bit, as it evaporates, but I would not make the case that it "Cools the engine". EXCESS gasoline will do some cooling in a motor.......But that has to be about the most expensive method of cooling an engine ever devised.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
not understanding, so why would you run this in a 4 stroke motor?

Its a cult thing, no real benefit. It started years ago by a guy named Sarge on one of the corvette forums. Never any proof it does anything. Sarge is probably at home laughing his [censored] of...
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
Most air cooled engine manufacturers don't want tcw3 in their engines.

Really.

Well I've got 16 gas powered air compressors and 6 generators that get the fuel dosed and every single one of them has a piston crown with no deposits whatsoever,never once had to do anything to the carb and every machine runs as good now as when new.
My generators are princess auto cheapies yet my youngest is 3 hard years old. I've got compressors with quadruple the rated hours from the oem,and my supplier is also the service shop and he's said with no uncertain terms that my crew is the only one of the dozens he supplies to that have never required some kind of servicing.
He's also stated under no uncertain terms that I'm the only guy he knows getting the kind of lifespan from these machines.
And I work in either the dustiest conditionss known or -35c and my machines start first pull.
Believe what you like. My bottom line says different.

It's used as an upper cylinder lube and it cleans carbon deposits as well as prevents their formation.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Its a cult thing, no real benefit. It started years ago by a guy named Sarge on one of the corvette forums. Never any proof it does anything. Sarge is probably at home laughing his [censored] of...
crackmeup2.gif

Considering that thread is hundreds of pages with most posters saying they've seen positive results I'm sure sarge is happy with himself in a benevolent sort of way.

Reactions: a5m
Some of you may remember in another thread regarding the use of twc3 as a stabilizer and i posted that "i was going to find out as I had not used stabil in my gasoline that i normally use in my weed eater" prior to winter storage.

So basically the Toro sat all winter with only the fuel and tcw3 2 cycle oil(super tech) for about 7 months(sept-april). It fired right up this spring.

Last edited:
I'm using 2-cycle oil in my car, never seen an egr equipped diesel with a cleaner intake tract. The only cars that come close are those with water injection in the intake.

I'm not using TCW-3 though, but just a low smoke semi-synth 2-stroke intended for garden appliances.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Some of you may remember in another thread regarding the use of twc3 as a stabilizer and i posted that "i was going to find out as I had not used stabil in my gasoline that i normally use in my weed eater" prior to winter storage.

So basically the Toro sat all winter with only the fuel and tcw3 2 cycle oil(super tech) for about 7 months(sept-april). It fired right up this spring.

John, unfortunately this doesn't proof anything.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Considering that thread is hundreds of pages with most posters saying they've seen positive results I'm sure sarge is happy with himself in a benevolent sort of way.

There will always be people to drink the Kool-Aid...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Clevy

There will always be people to drink the Kool-Aid...

True, and the Doubting Thomas types.
wink.gif

Reactions: a5m
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back