Bunch of filters cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram PH3514: 1975 MG 1500 36k: 1,200mi/13mo/VR1 20w-50

Nothing special. Just an OCOD. Replaced with same.

MicroGuard MGL51372: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8L 186k: 6,400mi/7mo/Havoline 5w-30 Dino

Again, nothing special. ADBV was a tad stiff, but everything else was pretty good. Can was pretty thick.

Subaru 15208aa12a: Unknown

O-Ring gasket, fiber caps with ADBV bonded to caps. Bonding was tight, media was actually somewhat flexible. Looked like a really good filter.

HiFlo HF138: Unknown

This was actually a filter I really wanted to see as it crosses over to a motorcycle I own. Great filter all around, really heavy can with super tight pleating. Spring was exceptionally thick. ADBV was really supple. This is def the filter going on my bike.

Wix 51516; 2008 Ford Taurus 3.5L 104k; 8,750mi/7mo/Castrol Egde 5w-20 Black Bottle

Kind of a bargain for $6.50, thick can, tight even media, nice ADBV, end plate was really thick. Used the same ting and will probably continue to do so.

Prime Guard POF241: Unknown

This filter was looking really, really good. Right up until the enormous tear. Media was ripped almost front to back on both top and bottom near seam. Glue glopped all over, so I can assume it was fine before the works was stuffed into the can. Otherwise, it looked like a really good jobber filter. WIX made?

Firestone TF2876: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5L 106k; 3,100mi/4mo/Kendall GT1 5w-30

Really cheap jobber. Can took almost no effort to cut through. Spring was easy to manipulate on my own. ADBV was pliable but really thin on the edges, thick and stiff in the center. Huge media pleat gaps. Didn't like the denter tube's hole sizes. Really "meh" about the whole thing.

Royal Purple 10-44: Unknown

Seriously thick can, thick base plate, thick and soft ADBV, pretty much the best filter I've seen. The interesting thing isn't the filter. It's what I found inside. There was thick, gloopy, copper glitter EVERYWHERE. In the oil, all over the media, all over the top of the cartridge. It was literally all over everything. Either it was an additive of some kind, or the guy who used it has some pretty serious bearing wear.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
If I recall correctly, Subaru filters are made by Champ

The Subaru filters are currently produced by Fram. The PH9715 is the Fram equivalent to the 15208AA12A, including proper Subaru-specific bypass pressure.

I use the PH9715 on our 9-2x Aero and have never found an issue with the numerous ones I've cut open.

Anyone here interested in OEM China Nissan filters vs service replacement NISSAN Mexican (GONHER)? I have a couple hanging around and wife is gone to Conn. this coming weekend
smile.gif
I just have to recall my PHOTOBUCKET password ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
If I recall correctly, Subaru filters are made by Champ

The Subaru filters are currently produced by Fram. The PH9715 is the Fram equivalent to the 15208AA12A, including proper Subaru-specific bypass pressure.

I use the PH9715 on our 9-2x Aero and have never found an issue with the numerous ones I've cut open.

^This

Regarding the Prime Guard with the tear. Similar failed QA that we see on the Puro's. Wide (v shaped bonding) uneven spacing of the pleats near the seam. Pressure on the media has only one option... left or right = tear. If the spacing was tight and even this would simply not happen.

Thanks for all the pictures. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back