Aftermarket speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Niceprice3point but, I don't know if Id do foam surrounds in a car speaker. Better off with glop doped accordion cloth I do like an AUDAX style 3/4 polycarb tweet though. No need or want for a midrange driver.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Check out Parts Express for automobile replacement speakers. Most of them are priced sensibly.Q.
Ditto. Also look up Madisound and Crutchfield.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I figured out After installing a new head unit this weekend that all 4 factory 4x6 speakers in dads old 93 Z71 had given up the ghost ! I installed a Alpine head unit that he picked up on sale 6-7 years ago. No SOUND.. so I hooked up a box speaker and the stereo is pumping out music just fine.. so I asked dad, have the speakers been acting funny ? "Well, about 10 years ago and within a year of each other both the rear speakers started cutting out and the quit.. five years later one of the fronts.. then last year the other front started getting static" I told dad it wasn't the head unit, it was the speakers. so with the back story out of the way for fun, im in the speaker market. this truck takes 4x6's in the dash and behind the seat. I am 200% out of the loop on speakers these days. Dads half deaf (he uses hearing aids" and clearly with this back story isn't all that worried about speakers or sound quality for that matter. With that said I do want to buy something that's not going to just pop after 3 years of normal use. No, im not going to pay for OEM, and no im not putting ubber expensive high dollar stuff in there. He has given me a $100 cap on the price for the 4. I can buy them as cheap as $8-9 each however as previously stated I don't want just pure junk in there. Any suggestions ? ive checked out Boss, Pyle, etc on Amazon and a few others online.. id be glad to take a look at your suggestions for this old hunting truck.
Parts Express.com has a very good car audio section. Much of their inventory is also sold through Amazon. Good (not all are expensive brand names) speakers make all the difference.

Ebay has new Hitron 4x6 sold by sonicelectronix for $13/pair with free shipping, and various sellers have Pulsar, Boss, Pyramid, Legacy,... for $18/pair shipped.

The 4x6 speaker size isn't the epitome for sound so no point in spending a ton.

There is a pair of NOS Boston Acoustics S75 for start bid of $40 and a good selection of Polk, RockfordFosgates, Alpine, JBL,... <$60, and JVC, MA Audio, Planet Audio, Lanzar, Kicker, Crunch, Pioneer, Kenwood, Pyle... <$40 pair delivered.

well, I stopped in Wal-Mart and picked up a nice pair of Sony speakers (just one pair to start) they sound just fine. $39 and they are duals so they have a nice 1 inch dome tweeter in the center. In the next few weeks I will install the same speakers in the rear. Alpine deck with Sony's providing sound in a old hunting truck.. sounds pretty good. And yes, the other speakers were completely done. so with another set for another $39 with tax under $90 for both sets, I will be staying under budget and the truck will sound good.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your previous post where you bought something. Left my post as-is, though, for reference:

With your budget limit of $100 you are in a very low quality bracket for 4 speakers. Doubling your budget puts you into a bracket that is much more than 2x the quality.

Your solution is simple ... buy 2 speakers for $100 and ignore the rears. Or at least be prepared to only buy 2 front speakers ... more on this further down.

Look at Polk or Boston Acoustics, who make good sounding drivers in your price range. 2-way only ... there isn't enough money to engineer a 3-way in your price range, with the result that every 2-way will outperform every 3-way you could possibly look at.

There is a bonus here ... good car audio manufacturers know that someone in your price range are looking for maximum value and probably don't have mega-watt amps in an elaborate sound system. So, they engineer speakers in this price range that are more efficient than the super system norm ... they play louder with less power, in other words. So, good value in more ways than one; your head unit will work just fine, thanks.

You could probably get by well under $100 with the possibility that you might have $30 or so for rear speakers. Get whatever 1-way (no tweeter) you can find that fits the budget; the rears are far less important.

Set the front-rear balance so you can just barely hear the rears ... they are there to fill in the sound, not be the main part of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Niceprice3point but, I don't know if Id do foam surrounds in a car speaker. Better off with glop doped accordion cloth I do like an AUDAX style 3/4 polycarb tweet though. No need or want for a midrange driver.
I use in a home system I rebuilt a set of Audax 4 inch aerogels as midrange. Very clean. Parts Expres doesn'r seem to have much Audax these days.

For Audax drivers, you will have to shop @ Madisound.

Same goes with Seas, vifa drivers, etc.

for all others mid to low-priced units, go with PartsExpress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back