Cheap residential builders!!! grrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to move and I just can't get over how many builders refuse to design a kitchen with an exterior venting hood over the stove. So tired of seeing a microwave over the stove. These are homes not apartments for god sake.

Rant over

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have both.

I've in the past installed an over-range microwave that also provided an external range vent with twin blowers and a ton of airflow. Worked great.

You're choosing not to buy a home simply because the vent doesn't go outside? Do it yourself or have someone do that. I don't see why that would make someone cross the home off their list for something simple. That's like not buying a house because the carpet is a color you don't like in the bedrooms...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You're choosing not to buy a home simply because the vent doesn't go outside? Do it yourself or have someone do that. I don't see why that would make someone cross the home off their list for something simple. That's like not buying a house because the carpet is a color you don't like in the bedrooms...

Well yes and no. Some homes it's just not possible, but you would think on new construction it would be standard to have something other than a microwave with a recirculation fan.

In my area don't look at existing construction unless the house was built before 1970. Almost ever home since then was built by a production builder (cookie cutter) .

I wouldn't blame it on the builder.

If someone is having a custom home built, it's an option they can have installed, for an added cost of course. If the homeowner isn't willing to pay for it, that's on them, not the builder.

If we're talking about cookie cutter homes, the whole idea is to build them as cheaply as possible because that's what buyers want.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What is the point of the vent above the stove that vents back in to the room? Genuinely curious as I have one ...

There is no point, other than the blower can kick on automatically to keep the microwave and internals cool if you've got the oven and multiple burners running at once. It can also help distribute steam so it doesn't condense out on your cupboards above/near the range top.

What is the point of the vent above the stove that vents back in to the room? Genuinely curious as I have one ...

It pulls steam out of the cook's face and pulls it back and them up to the ceiling area. Frankly, I've had both styles of vent and it matters not to me where the steam ends up. We don't cook with a lot of grease/oil, so our ceiling doesn't get coated with it.

It's cheaper. However there are some hood vents that have a carbon and mesh filter that actually work but I'm ranting about the vents that just have a mesh filter and don't vent outside.

Last edited:
Another over stove micro that vents outside. If you want a range hood/vent no micro, or micro that vents to the outside, should be a simple change order.

According to your vehicle list you drive a brand new BMW, and have had a number of BMWs over the last dozen years. If you can afford cars like that, can't you afford something beyond the low-end starter home?

If the venting is in place, it would be simple enough to replace the microwave with an actual vent hood. Or if you're not very handy, since you can afford multiple BMWs you can certainly afford to have it changed-right?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Looking to move and I just can't get over how many builders refuse to design a kitchen with an exterior venting hood over the stove. So tired of seeing a [word removed] microwave over the stove. These are homes not apartments for god sake.

Rant over

Get over it, dude. You're stressing out over a minor detail. That can be fixed by any decent handyman.

Looking to move and I just can't get over how many builders refuse to design a kitchen with an exterior venting hood over the stove. So tired of seeing a godd@mn microwave over the stove. These are homes not apartments for god sake.

Rant over

That's just how they're typically designed. We bought a brand new fairly upscale home a few years back, and it too had a kitchen cabinet and a space for a microwave right above the stove. We asked to the builder to rip out the cabinet and had them install a proper venting hood that we purchased ourselves. Annoying, but not that big of a deal.

I hear you. My microwave sits above the stove and has a venting hood built in for the stove. It vents up into the attic. Built in 1983 by Ammana. Other companies do make these.

Before buying any house, particularly in a 'cookie-cutter' neighborhood, I'd have the HVAC system checked for leaks, proper sizing of the ductwork & equipment and stupid mistakes. In your area, latent heat removal is key. You'll be paying for any mistakes on a monthly basis with the electricity bill.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Looking to move and I just can't get over how many builders refuse to design a kitchen with an exterior venting hood over the stove. So tired of seeing a [word removed] microwave over the stove. These are homes not apartments for god sake.

Rant over

Get over it, dude. You're stressing out over a minor detail. That can be fixed by any decent handyman.

LOL. I know, it's not as bad as my utter hatred for OSB.

Some people don't buy cars with timing belts or drum brakes because they can't maintain them and don't want to learn how. Personal choice, I guess.

Many garages come with one dopey 60 watt bulb in the middle, or try to get by on the one built into the opener. And narrow eight foot doors. What you get for buying a spec house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back