need feedback on 2t oil for air cooled scoot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
wrecked my small bike in an accident & might be getting a new/used scoot if the bike is totalled out; one of the candidates that I am looking over is a Genuine Buddy 50 2t or Roughhouse 50 2t; I would run it stock with the restriction methods removed (airflow ring in the exhaust and a clamp in the variator assembly); here is what is listed in the owner's manual: 2T type oil, 30 SAE, FC group

based on that I am guessing they are calling for a JASO-FC rated oil; which 2T INJECTOR oils are rated at JASO-FC that would properly protect a forced airflow cooled 50cc derestricted scooter? I really want to stay away from TCW-3 formulas since most of the ones I can get info on show a JASO FB rating; thanks...

BTW: for those wanting to ask why I would go with a small displacement scoot vs a different 250cc bike...money! bike's total loss value is $1400 and I don't have oodles of cash to throw on top of that amount to get something bigger (that's not ancient)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn

BTW: for those wanting to ask why I would go with a small displacement scoot vs a different 250cc bike...money! bike's total loss value is $1400 and I don't have oodles of cash to throw on top of that amount to get something bigger (that's not ancient)

Would a GS500 be considered ancient?

My top three choices are:

1.) Redline
2.) Torco
3.) Maxima

I used to race air-cooled Go-Peds. They were up to 80cc...and some of the beasts I rode were in the 18-20HP range. These oils are top because: They provided the longest longevity between rebuilds and they left the fewest deposits.

Last edited:
For derestricted stock scooter/moped any API TC....Jaso FC 2stroke oil will be ok..

Because you mentioned that engine is air cooled...my first choice would be synthetic 2T oil

Originally Posted By: Atesz792

Would a GS500 be considered ancient?

I have seen many Suzuki GZ250 bikes in that price range. Not ancient at all.

"For derestricted stock scooter/moped any API TC....Jaso FC 2stroke oil will be ok..

Because you mentioned that engine is air cooled...my first choice would be synthetic 2T oil"

my preferred shop carries BelRay mineral 2T which is a API TC - JASO FB; would that suffice?

"Any JASO FD. A little bit cleaner than FC."

who makes an injector JASO FD? the only JASO FD I can find locally is expensive pre-mix for OPE

to the persons who mentioned GS500 & GZ250...checked my regional craigslists and bikes are too expensive unless I start considering stuff from the late 70's & 80's and I don't want anything that old

"For derestricted stock scooter/moped any API TC....Jaso FC 2stroke oil will be ok..

Because you mentioned that engine is air cooled...my first choice would be synthetic 2T oil"

my preferred shop carries BelRay mineral 2T which is a API TC - JASO FB; would that suffice?

"Any JASO FD. A little bit cleaner than FC."

who makes an injector JASO FD? the only JASO FD I can find locally is expensive pre-mix for OPE

to the persons who mentioned GS500 & GZ250...checked my regional craigslists and bikes are too expensive unless I start considering stuff from the late 70's & 80's and I don't want anything that old

Any JASO FD oil. From Echo oil available at Homeless Depot, to the so called high end brands available at motorcycle shops.

But, I'll take exception to purchasing a 50cc scoot as your daily transportation. They have very limited lifespans. Often less than 10,000 miles, and the Chinese ones often less than 5,000 miles.

I had a Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter for a number of years. It was useless and unreliable. It also wore out very quickly.

Get a real, Japanese bike, even if it's old.

I currently have a 250cc, water cooled, Honda Reflex Scooter that's worth about $2000. It has 3000 miles total on it. These last about 40,000 miles. I'm sure you could find one for less than $2K with a few more miles.

Last edited:
"Any JASO FD oil. From Echo oil available at Homeless Depot, to the so called high end brands available at motorcycle shops."

I understand that JASO FD is the best rating for 2 stroke...I don't feel that putting PRE-MIX ONLY oil into an autolube system is beneficial; aren't pre-mix only oils thicker than injector oils and might cause oil starvation due to reduced flow through the pump?

this is why I asked about injector oils rated at JASO FD...

I'm gonna consider this subject closed at this point...thank y'all for the info; IF my GZ gets totalled and IF I opt for a 2-stroke Genuine scooter...it will get broken in with a liter of BelRay Mineral 2T oil while I research out a synblend or full syn INJECTOR oil that rates forJASO FC or JASO FD; I will not use a PRE-MIX ONLY oil in an autolube system no matterr how good the formula is! thank you...

Last edited:
If you are using a injector system, I have been using the Mercury oil Quick Silver that they carry at Walmart in my one Polaris 400 two stroke atv. Its one of the few that I still have the oil injection still on without pre-mix. It states on the jug it is TC rated and has a little red motorcycle on it. I have 2900 miles on the atv and it has never been down. That's a lot of miles on a ATV. Good stuff and burns clean. You might want to try that. Its cheap, easy to get and works well. I would stay away from ECHO and Stihl oils, even though they have the JASO ratings, they seem to do well in chainsaws and weed trimmers, but not in bikes.

forgot about API-TC rating for air-cooled applications; you also seem to understand that the outdoor power equipment manufacturer labeled oils are exactly that...designed for pre-mix application in outdoor power equipment! I'll have to take a closer look at the Quick Silver oil out of curiosity...they stock it with the boating accessories in sporting goods;

good news to me is that the insurance company has approved repairs of my GZ-250 after the shop submitted an updated supplemental estimate...still falls within the 'total loss' amount;

based on that I am guessing they are calling for a JASO-FC rated oil; which 2T INJECTOR oils are rated at JASO-FC that would properly protect a forced airflow cooled 50cc derestricted scooter?

Either Honda GN2 or Yamalube 2S should both meet this. I prefer the GN2 because it absolutely smokes less than others including the 2S.

Buy them inexpensively here

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/2946/2-Stroke-Engine-Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back