otc 6297 ball joint seperator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Gearwrench definitely has a better name and quality than HF.

Both are Chinese made though right? I have some HF ratcheting wrenches that I bought for $15 that turn more freely and have a cleaner cast and finish than the equivalent Chinese Gear Wrench, which is easily twice the cost if not more at Sears.

I understand the buy American thing no doubt, but its hard to pass cheap throw away tools for cheap throw away prices at HF. Gear Wrench offers cheap throw away tools at American prices which IMO is as bad as modern day Craftsman.

Last edited:
I don't know if both are Chinese. Gear Wrench was mostly made in Taiwan but who knows if that changed, i haven't bought any of their tools but from what i read people who have them don't seem to have as many complaints as with HF.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I don't know if both are Chinese. Gear Wrench was mostly made in Taiwan but who knows if that changed, i haven't bought any of their tools but from what i read people who have them don't seem to have as many complaints as with HF.

It has changed. I bought two sets of GW tools at Sears a few years ago right after the switch, expecting Taiwan tools, got Chinese. While they have held up to light use, the chrome on the most-used ones is flaking off. The wrench edges are thin and almost sharp and not comfortable, perhaps to keep people from leaning on the ratchet mechanism, but I still find them useful.

Many Chinese-made tool packaging claims to "meet ISO standards", which can be as little as meeting the dimensional and labeling requirements of ISO 6789. GearWrench claims their tools also meet ASME B107.*, which goes quite a bit further to specify strength and safety. If GW tools really meet these standards, they are by definition good strong tools. Is say "If" because there is a credibility gap that must be considered before any claim coming from a Chinese manufacturer is accepted at face value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back