nitrogen-vs-air

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some reading when nitrogen first became "a thing", as the kids say these days. I came to the conclusion that nitrogen was a waste of money and time, unless you got it for free and somebody else put it in the tire for you.

The most telling paragraph from your link above is this one:
If you use your car on a regular basis for daily driving and don’t fall into any of the above categories, it’s
difficult to see how using nitrogen gives you any practical benefits, especially compared to its cost and inconvenience.

Great Article!

I don't use Nitrogen but, there is a tire store in our area that includes Nitrogen with every tire purchase and tire check(I'm sure they have air too!)

Every tire purchase here ^^^ is an OTD price. So, if you walk into their store and ask about a particular tire price, that price has already included EVERYTHING 'cept tax!...

...Mounting/Balancing, Tire disposal, Road Hazard Warranty, Valve Stems, Lifetime balance/rotation, Free lifetime flat repairs(if repairable) and anything else I may have forgotten!

This ^^^ isn't the place that you want to buy tires and install yourself or, have'em installed somewhere else.

I am not certain what they'd charge to convert your tires Air to Nitrogen. I have always just used air from the filling station or now, my own compressor!

My experience nitrogen is that I hit a pot hole with nitrogen filled tires in Tennessee once and bounce to Greenville , Alabama...

Char Baby, I do believe I purchase my tires from this very company. Good prices, service etc. Can't complain.
As for the Nitrogen I can only relay my own experiences. Some years ago I would check our vehicles (4 at the time, mine, my wife's,daughter's and son's) for tire pressure, fluids, lights, etc once a month at minimum. When the tires had regular air in them occasionally I used to have to top them off.
After this tire center started using nitrogen I noticed I didn't have to. After a while I even increased the check intervals greatly. In the last 10 years or so I'd say we only went in 2-3 times to get topped off. Would I pay extra? maybe not. But a Nitrogen fill does seem to hold pressure well.

With AWD and driving my car more than once per decade, I don't worry about tire degradation. Modern tires take a lonnnnnnnnnnng time to start cracking and rotting.

Otherwise, waste of time and money.

Good article.

There is one error however. They say," Air is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, with the remainder being trace gases. Oxygen can retain moisture inside your tires and eventually can oxidize the internal tire wall casing, causing premature tire aging."

By definition there is no moisture "in oxygen". Oxygen is oxygen. There can be moisture "in air" however and that could be an issue under some circumstances. If you somehow managed to get a lot of moisture (water) into a tire, the tire pressure could vary quite a bit depending on temperature. So using fairly pure Nitrogen has the slight advantage of "no water". Dry air would be almost as good. Yes the relative lack of oxygen would reduce/almost eliminate oxidation, but that would rarely be important.

I have my new tires filled with Nitrogen, as it's done at no additional cost. But I don't think it's a huge advantage and won't hesitate to add air as necessary to maintain the proper pressure.

I have watched shops that use nitrogen mount the tires. They always mount and set the bead with regular shop air, then use nitrogen for the topoff only. I don't think this method increses the percentage of nitrogen inside the tire enough to make a difference. You still have other gases remaining from mounting and setting the bead.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Good article.

There is one error however. They say," Air is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, with the remainder being trace gases. Oxygen can retain moisture inside your tires and eventually can oxidize the internal tire wall casing, causing premature tire aging."

True. Some of the justifications for using gas N2 for passenger tire use over the years are laughable.

Obviously it's an inert gas and may be more dry than using compressed air, but for a typical ~32psig filled car tire? Totally unnecessary.

I guess I'll have to consider it if my tires ever last long enough to make internal rusting a concern. LOL

One of the items I purchase for my employer is nitrogen gas for HVAC welding tasks. I could easily purchase a tank and get it filled locally if I ever wanted to fill my tires with nitrogen. One tank would last a LONG time. I buy 40 and 50 cubic foot sizes.

If the tire place or garage is draining their compressor regularly and has a water filter installed there should be no problem with air.
Nitrogen could be a lot better if the shop has wet air of god forbid an inline oiler for air tools on the same air line.

I use clean, dry air from the line i use for painting cars to fill the tires, no problem whatsoever. If i don't get moisture in the paint/clear coat that turns the clear milky then it sure isn't getting any in the tire. With this i cant see nitrogen being of any great benefit.

I use a manual tire pump for my own tires - fortunately they are small.

Gas stations add insult to injury when you're paying $1.00 for air and a spray of water shoots out of the hose when you press in on the chuck.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Good article.

By definition there is no moisture "in oxygen". Oxygen is oxygen. There can be moisture "in air" however and that could be an issue under some circumstances. If you somehow managed to get a lot of moisture (water) into a tire, the tire pressure could vary quite a bit depending on temperature. So using fairly pure Nitrogen has the slight advantage of "no water". Dry air would be almost as good. Yes the relative lack of oxygen would reduce/almost eliminate oxidation, but that would rarely be important.

I have my new tires filled with Nitrogen, as it's done at no additional cost. But I don't think it's a huge advantage and won't hesitate to add air as necessary to maintain the proper pressure.
Air run through a good dryer used for compressed air tools is about as good. As another pointed out, an in line oiler for air tools is NOT good for tires.

Last edited:
When the un-named tire store puts Nitrogen in your tires, they also put a green cap on the valve stem. Recently I went to another place for two new tires. One of the tires that was to remain was a little low on "air", so I was expecting them to top it off. They didn't, claiming that it was Nitrogen fill and they didn't want to "contaminate" it with regular air.

Aaauuugh!

So now I take those green caps off and replace them with black. Sigh.

Originally Posted By: Bear
Char Baby, I do believe I purchase my tires from this very company. Good prices, service etc. Can't complain.
As for the Nitrogen I can only relay my own experiences. Some years ago I would check our vehicles (4 at the time, mine, my wife's,daughter's and son's) for tire pressure, fluids, lights, etc once a month at minimum. When the tires had regular air in them occasionally I used to have to top them off.
After this tire center started using nitrogen I noticed I didn't have to. After a while I even increased the check intervals greatly. In the last 10 years or so I'd say we only went in 2-3 times to get topped off. Would I pay extra? maybe not. But a Nitrogen fill does seem to hold pressure well.

I'll bet we're talking about the same tire store. I have purchased from them since the early 80's but the past ~10 yrs, I buy tires online!
wink.gif

I have nitrogen for tire filling at work. For aircraft use.

I also have dry compressed shop air.

I have never been able to determine that there is any difference. Either in tire lifespan, tire pressure at elevated temperatures, leak rate, oxidation or any other so called benefit.

The reason we use high pressure nitrogen in aviation is to avoid compression ignition under shock loading. Oleo struts, hydraulic accumulators and so on can experience compression ignition (like a diesel engine) when shock loaded.

We can use air in tires, without risk.

And, as mentioned above, tires have plenty of air inside during mounting.

Last edited:
Perhaps, fill them with propane. It would make blowouts far more interesting.

Nitrogen services are a money grab. Our shop sells a Nitrofill service at $49.95 per year for a membership. I have never seen a customer achieve any immediate benefit other than the tire repair reimbursement that comes with the membership.
Outside of high performance, extreme temperature environments, there is minimal benefit to the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back