Chevron Supr, 5w-30 SN, 8k, Subaru EJ25 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a 2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 naturally aspirated with 162K. I ran the oil to 8050 miles not by choice. I was a bit derelict in getting it changed. I had the external infamous head gasket leak and both HGs were replaced at 125k. This was my first UOA after that work a few years ago. This run was 75% open highway.

I continue to be astounded how the plain Jane Chevron Supreme dino performs so well. With a TBN of 2.4 and viscosity holding up, I think 10k is doable. I don't see any use for syn other than cold startability. Filter was a PureOne. My air filter probably has 100k on it, I just keep cleaning it by hand. Si remains low.

U2R2xmK.jpg

Awesome man.. Yeah Chevron Supreme is darn good oil. Too bad there is Zero to buy around where I am at. This one guy did his own tests on oils and Chevron Supreme was one of the best this guy tested.. Heck Havoline oils are very good too.
I bet your Subaru will get 300k plus.. Awesome
smile.gif

Good lookin uoa! I just put 4qts of it in the Mazda in my sig, glad to see it treated your motor well for 8k. Good moly numbers too. Think I'll keep on using that stuff since it's always on sale!

Fabulous UOA!

Conventional oils get a bad wrap here by many members, while dnewton3 and Dave1251 continue to champion GrpII and how they are under utilized.

Great report! I am planning on getting a UOA in a couple of months when I change oil in my '02 Forester (also N/A 2.5L). Last couple detected potassium. (I had HG's done eventually.) Viscosity was under 9 at 100 degrees both times even though my OCI's were a little over 3k miles and I ran Kendall and Valvoline synthetic blends. But I'm normally at less than 50% highway. Plenty of short trips.

One of my previous UOA posts, with 3 oils compared in the same engine: here

Results below:

QSUD = Quaker State Ultimate Durability, MS = Mobile Super 5000

Code:
OIL Chev 5w30 SN QSUD5w30 SN MS 5w30 SN

MILES IN USE 6500 7400 5700

MILES 115k 102k 56k

SAMPLE TAKEN 12/17/13 05/03/13 04/10/11

ALUMINUM 3 2 1

CHROMIUM 0 1 1

IRON 6 8 5

COPPER 2 3 2

LEAD 0 0 0

TIN 1 1 2

MOLYBDENUM 148 59 10

NICKEL 0 0 0

MANGANESE 0 1 0

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 24

POTASSIUM 8 4 0

BORON 27 11 5

SILICON 12 11 4

SODIUM 5 10 266

CALCIUM 1852 2209 1686

MAGNESIUM 42 227 164

PHOSPHORUS 658 837 655

ZINC 733 1021 810

BARIUM 0 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 57.7 62.2 55.0 55-62 typ

cSt @ 100ºC 9.55 10.85 8.76 8.8-11.1 typ

FLASHPOINT ºF 425 425 385 >365

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0
Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.2 0.3 0.2
TBN 1.5 2.4 3.0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
A great report with a great oil.

The EJ will get a good report on cat pee. It has nothing to do with the oil. IMHO

I don't think I would push a dino oil above 8K miles. Thats just me. SuperTech would give you a great report even past 10K mile OCI.

Last edited:
Conventionals are great and I'm unconvinced that syns lead to longer engine life.
And 10000 miles on a conventional oil is great value per dollar spent. I don't think there's anything to gain by using a syn in this application unless planning to run a 20000 mile interval,which might even be doable.

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Conventionals are great and I'm unconvinced that syns lead to longer engine life.
And 10000 miles on a conventional oil is great value per dollar spent. I don't think there's anything to gain by using a syn in this application unless planning to run a 20000 mile interval,which might even be doable.

Thanks for posting.

There have been many posts from what I read that will agree with your statement that synthetics do not add to engine life, over just proper maintenance with a good conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Thanks for posting.

There have been many posts from what I read that will agree with your statement that synthetics do not add to engine life, over just proper maintenance with a good conventional oil.

I completely agree. As long as a conventional oil isn't run too long there's nothing to be concerned about.
Synthetic last longer in service and pump easier in extreme cold. They resist oxidation better too however that falls into the lasting longer in service category.
I use syns because it costs me less per mile vs conventionals but I'd use conventionals if they cost me less.
For me it boils down to dollars and cents.

High output and engines operated in a high stress or severe duty may benefit from using a synthetic oil however most vehicles aren't operated as such and do just fine with less costly lubricant alternatives.

Last edited:
Even many of today's family sedans and SUVs, which use turbo for the purpose of fuel economy and not the track, don't require a full synthetic and are doing just fine.

dsr70,

You can definitely go 10k miles with this engine and oil with your driving conditions. The 0.5-1qt makeup oil boosts TBN nicely. That Chevron is stout for sure.

Last edited:
Nice to see someone running good ol' dino at longer intervals than the average syn (just look at the UOA threads).

Looks great btw. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back