Battery prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did batteries get so expensive? Today the battery died in the 2010 Equinox. I went to AAP online, and it was $169 for a size 47 Gold series (no Silver in that size). Other auto parts stores were similar for regular price. After the $50 off discount code it was still $119 plus tax, and that includes being refunded the $20 core.

On another note, is it worth it to get a protectant spray? I've used them in the past in some vehicles but not all. I just don't know if they really do anything. My thinking tends to be if there is corrosion it is likely because the battery is leaking at the posts. Any thoughts on these sprays?

I use the felt washers and the battery grease.

I used some spray on my Rav but it's a bit messy and looks like [censored].

I've never used that spray stuff. That corrosion has something to do with over/under charging and the hydrogen gas that's released. I think it normally is a result of over charging. If you're charging system is totally up to snuff you shouldn't need any of that.

If you want to protect your battery and the area around it all you need is Pledge Furniture Polish in the spray can.

Your battery will look like the day you purchased it before installing it on the day it dies.

My OEM 4Runner battery lasted 11 years keeping it clean with PFP.
I think my Honda batter is 14 years old.

Go ahead an laugh at the idea but if you try it you will be more than satisfied with the results.

You don't need any grease or WD-40 or anything else.

Or you can glue a penny to the top of the battery. It will catch all the corrosion.

So AAP isn't losing money with the codes?
laugh.gif

They do seem to only have the uber gold batteries in many sizes. Perhaps, like tires, the sizes are getting more specialized and with stuff like vent tubes you can't just wedge any old thing in there. This additional inventory comes at a cost.

The last place I'd buy a better is AZ. AAP, O'Reillys, etc. Super jacked up prices on below average goods... No matter what you but there. I only go there in an emergency.

As far as batteries, I only buy Deka's... At nearly any Napa or Marine store.

Batteries plus carries Deka batteries and they actually maintain their inventory with regular charging and record keeping. They also load test the battery before leaving the store. I way really surprised at their prices with no coupon required.

I have an AAP AutoCraft Gold right now but my next battery will probably be a batteries plus group size 78, possible even their AGM battery.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Batteries plus carries Deka batteries and they actually maintain their inventory with regular charging and record keeping. They also load test the battery before leaving the store. I way really surprised at their prices with no coupon required.

I have an AAP AutoCraft Gold right now but my next battery will probably be a batteries plus group size 78, possible even their AGM battery.

Agreed...good stuff....

Do some comparison shoppng. AA used to be the cheapest on batteries after discount, but the last two I looked at they weren't. Walmart and a local battery place had the best prices for me recently.

It isn't the batteries, it's the stores you're looking at. AAP, AZ, O'R have been getting really, really high on batteries over the past decade or so.

Shop around. I think I paid under $90 for my group 78 Deka two or so years ago.

I believe the reason for the high prices is just a commodities thing, the price of lead is up so that's a major component of a lead acid battery. See if you can get an AGM, it won't have the corrosion properties that a regular flooded battery has. My AGM battery is about 7 years old and the terminals look brand new, no treatment at all. AGM should also last a little bit longer than a flooded battery.

I can't recall the last time I saw a corroded battery terminal. If you need to apply any kind of spray, grease, or felt, something else is amiss.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I can't recall the last time I saw a corroded battery terminal. If you need to apply any kind of spray, grease, or felt, something else is amiss.

All you have to do is buy a top post battery made by Exide and you'll see the corrosion.

Mine was $130 Duralast Gold at Autozone. Can't say I was surprised because two yrs ago I got a battery for my lady's Sunfire and it was $115 for a two yr warrantied autozone silver battery. So I was prepared for it. I wonder if the lack of lead production here in the US has something to do with it.. Much less the EPA impact could be has well.

All you have to do is buy a top post battery made by Exide and you'll see the corrosion.

Too true.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Right - Exide batteries are the problem and there is no good solution. Other than to avoid Exide batteries.

I get my batteries at Walmart (MAXX). Decent prices, rapid turnover, many stores to handle a warranty failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back