Question about hths and relation to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a serious question. My Audi requires a hths of 3.5 or greater. For instance some of the oils in that category have a zinc level and phosphorous of 700-1000ppm. Zddp is suppose to prevent wear. I've been pondering this question and want some expert advice. If you get an oil with an hths of 3.4 (a tad thinner than spec calls for) BUT has a zddp level of 1200 ppm or more (higher anti wear additives) does that kind of cancel out the possibility of excess wear with the "lower" hths? It has been puzzling me because for the life of me I can't come up with a logical answer. Thinner oil by a tiny amount but a noticeable amount more anti wear additives SHOULDNT cause anymore wear than a proper hths with lower additives should it? What about with a turbo application?

Don't try and out think the engineers. If anything go a smidgen thicker, not thinner.

I can't really answer your question, but there must be a reason why the Europeans require HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP. If 3.4 cP was just as good, then the minimum would have been set there instead.

Now, will your engine disintegrate just because you run an oil with HT/HS of 3.4 cP in it? I highly doubt it.

The HTHS viscosity is what keeps your bearings operating in the proper lubrication regime. ZDDP does not work in hydrodynamic lubrication, or with soft metals found in bearings. ZDDP only works at high pressures and temperatures when ferrous metals come in contact. HTHS viscosity and ZDDP are addressing different lubrication issues and one does not substitute for the other.

Ed

When you buy a quart of oil you have just hired that company to figure out all this "stuff" or at least the company behind the retailer with their logo on the bottle. Just be sure to buy an oil that meets the required spec.

The spec's are there to help you pick the correct oil. Mixing oils or adding additives should be out of the question. Let the formulator worry about all that.

Also try this.

Idk if the owners manual says anything. But it needs acea a3/b3/b4 spec which requires an hths of 3.5 or more.

What if an oil has something like Royal purple synerlec? I know that is a "revolutionary" technology that always leaves a film and reduces wear. What if an oil has that? Does that make up for the hths of .1 lower?

Who can really answer without a series of multi-million dollar tests [that German designers had already run for us]?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
What if an oil has something like Royal purple synerlec? I know that is a "revolutionary" technology that always leaves a film and reduces wear. What if an oil has that? Does that make up for the hths of .1 lower?

No.

Just use an oil that meets the spec. Forget the marketing hype. You can even use an oil that does not sponsor NASCAR races as long as it meet the spec. Real simple.

It's been argued here before that in a vehicle like yours, you could probably get away with using something thinner under certain circumstances, particularly if the weather is cold and the thing is driven sensibly and one doesn't expect to run the oil for a very long OCI. But, you're not going to find some magic additive or boutique formulation that will make an ILSAC 30 equivalent to the higher HTHS specified oil.

I'm an RP fan. When I had my old Audi, I used the 0w-40, even though the 5w-30 was also within required specifications. I know you're desperate to try RP 5w-30 in the vehicle, since you've brought about many threads asking it. No one here (or at VW/Audi or even RP) is going to give you a written guarantee and blessing.

Just buy some name brand stuff meeting ACEA A3/B4, or pour anything you like in it, just don't b**ch about the quality of the car when it falls apart.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
No.

Just use an oil that meets the spec.

Based on some of his recent posts, the OP has a problem with just following simple and sensible instructions.

He is trying to find a million reasons to justify to himself that he should run just about anything else except what's called for in the owner's manual.
smile.gif

But this is BITOG after all...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Don't try and out think the engineers. If anything go a smidgen thicker, not thinner.

What is a smidgen? Is that like the little tick marks on a measuring tape? lol

PS, if anyone can feel what is left of their brain starting to fade out, I have some real Kentucky cough syrup to help you in your misery on the above ...................

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Originally Posted By: gregk24

What is a smidgen? Is that like the little tick marks on a measuring tape? lol

You have to have the right tools to measure that...

smidgen-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Idk if the owners manual says anything. But it needs acea a3/b3/b4 spec which requires an hths of 3.5 or more.

Just pour in an ACEA A3/B3/B4 oil and get on down the road. Don't worry about the zddp in an oil that is formulated to meet the spec required by the manufacturer.

I asked a question for the "experts" on here. Why is it when someone asks a question they deserve to be degraded by everyone on here. I didn't say i was going to run RP. I had a mind boggling question that I couldn't answer and figured you guys could. Sorry for asking a question, thought that was why you guys were here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back