Is generic motor oil bad or is it good enough....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one is not an oil maniac,
is the cheapest generic Autozone brand (or gas station brand) oil going to grenade your engine?

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
If one is not an oil maniac,
is the cheapest generic Autozone brand (or gas station brand) oil going to grenade your engine?

No.

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
...or gas station brand) oil going to grenade your engine?

There are plenty of "gas station brands" such as Chevron, Formula Shell, Petro-Canada Supreme, Mobil Super, and so forth, that don't play second fiddle to any of the competition.

If it meets the specifications put forth by your manufacturer and you run the recommended OCI's...your engine will be just fine.

This is the key ^^^

Besides, there are only a handful of companies that make/blend pretty much all the house brand oils. And they all make a quality product.

If the oil meets the specs that your engine calls for, it's good enough oil.

There are some generic brands tested by the PQIA that dont pass the muster and can harm your engine. Depends on what you mean by generic.

My 2.4 only calls for API SM/ILSAC GF-4. Todays oils are SN/GF-5. So if i use anything that meets the current certifications, I'm ahead of the game.

With some gas station sold oils though, make sure you see the API seal and Starburst, to be sure. Check out the link below for common 5w20 tested by the Petroleum Quality Institute...

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

Last edited:
Spot on as usual
smile.gif

Bike whisperer always seems to give the correct advice..
Truth if the matter is that while we may stress over this or that when it comes to oils we run the truth is that it is hard to buy a bad one off the shelf. But always check the label for the correct information
smile.gif

Ahh the Mystic is a) non detergent which is not remotely suitable for any vehicle built after 1930 I think. B) it API SA... Unless you are using this in a model T.. Than its a no go.

If an oil has a legitimate api grade of API SL or newer it's likely okay. There are plenty of oils on the PQIA consumer alert list that are not good for your engine for various reasons.

Many of these problematic oils seem to be recycled oil with contamination, others claim to be a top off oil and claim obsolete api SA ratings which have no anti wear or detergents. Others are just really bad oils with incorrect viscosity and/or weak additive packages below minimum required. I suggest you get familiar with the PQIA advisory list.

FWIW I have only seen oils on the consumer alert at independently owned gas stations and dollar stores.

All your part stores and big box stores have quality API SN stuff.

Walmart, Kmart, Target, Autozone, Advance auto, O'Reilly, Pep boys all have good stuff.

PQIA consumer alerts can be found below on the top right of the page
http://www.pqiamerica.com/index.html

Especially when actually at the gas station.
wink.gif
I know the ones I listed earlier in the thread are readily available at good prices, even in Canada, but not at the gas station (or Walmart or Canadian Tire).

If its Dexos licensed, I believe there's a website that you can go look up who made it. In the ATF world, there's only a relatively small handful of blenders, and 'generic' house brand versions of their product are abundant as they bottle for a number of different brands.

Some cars truly need high spec oil, particularly anything with a turbocharger. Best not to leave yourself in a situation where you're at the mercy of buying a quart of oil in the boonies that's not the proper brand for such vehicles.

The minor work you have to do is:
- Find an acceptable viscosity and certification, API or ACEA. Look in manual.
- Avoid known fake oils with fake data on bottle, see the pqia list and site.

Known brands of the correct grade is always ok.

Originally Posted By: lars11
The minor work you have to do is:
- Find an acceptable viscosity and certification, API or ACEA. Look in manual.
- Avoid known fake oils with fake data on bottle, see the pqia list and site.

Known brands of the correct grade is always ok.

I really shouldn't have to relie on a bad oil list. It just too much information that you will forget anyways. The best is to know what is required for your vehicle and don't get anything that does not meet that. Like what lars11 said above, I agree. Learn to know the API label and and the ratings. If ACEA is important for your vehicle learn that too. The rule of thumb is know what your vehicle requires and stick to that. If your in a bine, I would at least get the oil with the latest API rating.

Not literally those 2 bottles, but just trying to give an example of those generic "Supermarket oil" brands. Fine or avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back