Fix it or What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bearings are shot on the ac compressor. Decision time: $1200 in parts/labor.

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon
The car is 15+ years old but in great shape otherwise. The repair is mostly labor due to the location of the air compressor (low on the engine and forward the passenger tire). You cannot get to it through the wheel well, have to drop the subframe.

If I don't fix it, what are the options? It's a third car/spare car for us, not critical, but we do depend on it to haul stuff.

What's the general shape of the vehicle, does it has a lot options, smell funny, cheap to insure, is it rusty, mileage, use oil, etc? If in bad shape, why roll the dice on something else? Also, you don't have to have ac.

Originally Posted By: tezzzas
What's the general shape of the vehicle, does it has a lot options, smell funny, cheap to insure, is it rusty, mileage, use oil, etc? If in bad shape, why roll the dice on something else? Also, you don't have to have ac.

We're in NC and I often use the car for business trips to avoid wear/tear on my vehicle. A/C would be necessary otherwise it's easier to junk/sell it.

Car is in excellent shape. No rust, no funny smells, cheap insurance, low frills (cloth seats). It has 142k miles and I recently replaced the last two ignition coils, ball joints and added new tires.

Get one at a pick n pull, and replace it yourself. It's a 3rd vehicle. Who cares if it takes 3 weekends to replace it. Go to a shop and have it recharged. $200 total. Tops. Plus, you have the satisfaction of maintaining your own fleet.

Well, in that case. Against the advice of others, fix it. I do that with my cars, but there's a saying about the devil you know and the one you don't. I mean, my Honda is my sig has 200,500 miles, popped a seal, putting new thermostat, radiator cap, spark plugs, complete timing belt kit. The car has no value, leaks on the inside, and is bare bones, but it runs great, I know its faults, and it is paid for.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do the compressor with either engine. Vulcan is easier than the Duratec, but neither needed to drop the engine. Take it out by removing radiator fans and other items. Pass it across the front to the battery side and pull it up that way. A shop should know how this is done by now. No need to drop the subframe.

Sounds like a nice old Taurus.
It'll probably be on the road for some time more.
Here it would be rusted to death.
The answer is realy simple.
If AC is worth $1200.00 to you or will help you in getting an additional $1200.00 of use out of the old girl, then go for it.
Also, shop around for alternative prices for the fix.
Something as cramped and awkwardly shaped inside as a Taurus wagon doesn't sound like a geat vehicle to haul anything with anyway.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE

We're in NC and I often use the car for business trips to avoid wear/tear on my vehicle.

Fix it. Amongst other benefits, it also saves wear and tear on your other car, and its A/C as well. Who knows, it might just save you from having to replace the other A/C.

You've recently put money into it, you need it for business trips and you need AC. Sounds like your decision is made. What did you need us for again? Look at it this way..$1200 is 3 new car payments then you're money ahead again.

If you are not going to do the work yourself find some cheap mechanic to do it and then take it and have it recharged. There is no way I'd pay that. Even dropping the subframe on those is not that bad with a hoist.

How many quotes have you gotten? What kind of shop gave you the quote, and what things were quoted in addition to the compressor?

I bet someone will do the job for less than $1200.

Even if that's the best quote you get, I wouldn't necessarily get rid of the car just based on a cost of repair vs. resale basis. If the car is generally reliable and in nice shape, and you won't feel bad spending the money to have working A/C, fix it.

Consider it from this angle...could you spend just $1200 and wind up with a better car? After selling the Taurus privately, you might be at about a $3K budget for it to be a wash. That's assuming you get $1800 for the Taurus privately, which is probably optimistic in NC. $3K cars generally need a good bit of cleanup and aren't mechanically perfect. I don't see you getting a better car than the Taurus without spending more than it would cost to repair the Taurus.

Your scenario is right on the fine line of fix vs. drive broken vs. replace, but personally I think I'd probably fix it.

Vulcan? V6 compressor isn't too hard

FordTechMakloo has a video on YouTube doing it

Price shop RockAuto for a genuine Motorcraft compressor and receiver drier

Have the system solvent flushed and charged to spec by weight

There was a time long ago when there were motorcars without air conditioning. No, it's true.

You could just work around the problem and not drive the car on hot afternoons.

If not wear a bathing suit and take salt tablets with a lot of water.

Ask yourself what would the insurance company pay out for your car if you totaled it the day after you fixed it?

When the A/C compressor on my 2000 Taurus went, I found a mechanic who installed one out of a boneyard. Cost me $450. OTD. Second owner still has ice cold air.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You've recently put money into it, you need it for business trips and you need AC. Sounds like your decision is made. What did you need us for again? Look at it this way..$1200 is 3 new car payments then you're money ahead again.
I'm on the fence. What can you do with a car with broken A/C? The bearings grind whether the A/C is engaged or not. The only thing I can think of is donate it to charity...who would buy it?

Selling the car means more room (for activities!) in the garage.
Lower insurance payments.
Renting a car for business trips (not on my dime).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There was a time long ago when there were motorcars without air conditioning. No, it's true.

You could just work around the problem and not drive the car on hot afternoons.

If not wear a bathing suit and take salt tablets with a lot of water.

Ask yourself what would the insurance company pay out for your car if you totaled it the day after you fixed it?

The bearings grind even with the A/C off. Eventually it will seize and take some other things with it...probably the engine if the belt snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back