2015 KTM 690 Enduro -Motorex Cross Power 4T 10W-60

Status
Not open for further replies.
KTM690_UOA_27Apr2015.png

You must stop what you're doing and immediately ship that bike to me to complete the break-in.

I'll send it back to you when the task is complete. I'll do the whole thing for no charge.

You'll have the bike back by the first of the year knowing the job has been done correctly.

On a more serious note, shorten up the OCI until you complete the break-in.

i know ktm's break in process at the plant.

that is a lot of nickel,iron,copper,alum.

i'd say more than 0.8% fuel for that poor 375 flash.
a flash that low is usually 1.5 to 2%

all will get better, just kinda shocked at the vaules from ktm.

yes, shorter oci's but at this point it may not matter anymore

the low susvis is because of fuel

and 66.7 is not that far from 68.28 that is required to be 40wt.

the flash of 375 shows it has a lot of fuel in in.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
10 oz makeup? How much oil does it hold?

2.OL with filters. The 10 oz was two separate doses. Doesn't seem bad for a 67 HP thumper.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You must stop what you're doing and immediately ship that bike to me to complete the break-in.

I'll send it back to you when the task is complete. I'll do the whole thing for no charge.

You'll have the bike back by the first of the year knowing the job has been done correctly.

On a more serious note, shorten up the OCI until you complete the break-in.

Yeah, I'll get back to you on that...

I'm planning to stick with 2000 mi OCIs. Factory interval is 3200 miles or "after every sporting event".

As for break-in the oil may not show it but the engine is feeling pretty free. When I first got it I was a bit underwhelmed as it was VERY tight. Boy did that change after about 500 miles. Absolutely no debris in either of the screens or filters. Amazing for a new engine.

The bike sees mostly country roads and fast logging road use in the Oregon Coast Range. Its got enough grunt (and a close ration gearbox) that you don't have to flog the engine to go faster than you should. 3500-6000 rpm pretty much all the time with only occasional blasts to 7500.

Ken

for some stupid reason i thought this was a 10w40..not a 10w60
DOH!

its only THREE grades low on susvis. why would they spec a 10w60 for 3200mi if it drops 3 grades? imagine if that was just 10w40? you would end up with water!!!

My thoughts exactly. My hope is that the factory is shooting for a 10w40 and that if the fuel dilution goes away then the oil will come in at a grade 40. At $16/L I'm not going to use this fancy Swiss juice for 1000 miles OCIs!

I can't really explain the fuel dilution. I took the bike out for a spirited 25 mile ride before the sample. I did let it idle for a couple of minutes while I opened the garage door to do the change. I can't believe this bike is rich from the factory as it is twin plug, ride-by-wire, catalyzed, etc. Next time I'll be sure to shutdown without idling.

Its been my experience fuel is not like water, once its there you cant rid it , even riding 5 hours straight.

The majority of motorcycles fuel dilute some what, but with your uoa , I'd step down to 1500 miles.

However that's only the second oil dump, and normally until you get past 5,000 or 6,000 miles , then you'll probably see a little improvement, and then extend out to 2,000 miles, if the numbers show its allowable.

your basically triple what I want to see metal count wise in an oil change. Clutch fibres like clean oil.

also there's nothing special about that 10w60 is doing that a much cheaper 20w50 will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back