Do filters have a shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning out the garage and I found 2 Super Tech oil filters in perfect condition. Do yall think that they would degrade over time? I'm thinking about the adhesives or filter media.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
isn't perfect condition also not degraded by definition?

OK, I'll revise. They appear to be in perfect condition to the naked eye without disassembling the filter.

They might be good, but I think I would rather run a Purolator Classic than an old ecore filter if that gives you any ideas.

I personally haven't seen any issues with E-Cores. They aren't the greatest, but they certainly aren't failing at an alarming rate. If they were we would be hearing about it on here for sure.

OP if they haven't been exposed to moisture and look clean looking into the filter I would say go ahead and use them for short OCI's. If they were stored in a moist place or have any oxidation/junk in them just toss them and go buy new. It's really a judgement call on your part

when i contacted Wix about some OOOOOLLLDDD Filters i got from RockAuto, they said 3-5 year shelf life.

the filters in question were branded for "Big A" Auto parts... who went out of business around '97. and Rock Auto sold 'em to me in 2014, for about $1 each.

For me, this is where cheap insurance comes into play. Would you rather run a $1 filter that might have issues, or a new one off the shelf for around $4.

OP's situation isn't much different. He's had the filters so long, he wont suffer a monetary lose if he just pitched them (or cut/ posted them) and just bought new.

I see no need to keep a large stash of filters. I buy a few to get a shipping break on Amazon, but thats about it. Every car I get takes a new filter size. And you do not want to total a car and have hundreds of dollars worth of spare parts on a shelf.

I think I'll just chunk them. I have no idea how old they are but I don't think Walmart has offered Super Tech filters in several years.

Originally Posted By: garyb80
I was cleaning out the garage and I found 2 Super Tech oil filters in perfect condition. Do yall think that they would degrade over time? I'm thinking about the adhesives or filter media.

If they are the ecore design, they were "degraded" the day they were made.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back