Wavy Cartridge Filter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last oil change, I pulled a filter with bends near the bottom of the folds. It went in as a perfectly-straight media WIX cartridge. Is this the result of over-torquing the cap, or is it a reason to only buy OEM for my application? This is from the 3.6 Pentastar in my 2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Thanks for any input. This is my first cartridge-filter engine, and I have not yet had time to educate myself on the importance of the media folds staying straight.

Edit: Sorry, didn't know I couldn't directly enter a photo to my post. It is not hosted anywhere, so I can't link to it. I also can't delete this post anymore. So if anyone can comment, generally, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
The filter cartridge was probably a bit too long - common issue seen with cartridge filters. You can't really compress the cartridge by over torquing the cap, as once the cap is bottomed out it really isn't going to move downward any more to make a difference.

Go sign-up for a free Photobucket account, upload photos to Photobucket, then you can post the photos on chat boards, etc.

The cartridge filter in my gm ecotec is often wavy when I remove it. Doesn't seem to cause harm. Inside the filter cap is a spring loaded top plate for the filter. This is what applies pressure to the filter. How tight the cap is has nothing to do with the load on the filter.

I had that problem in my folks Mazda 3 when I used anything but OEM filters. In my sister's Cruze I always use OEM ACDelcos, never had any wave experience.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll keep with what I'm doing, and watch for any tears (as in perforations), hoping for no tears (as in crying, which is how I originally read Stewie's reply LOL).

The Pentastar engine doesn't have very many filter options either which doesn't help. You aren't the first one here to complain about a wavy filter. To the best of my knowledge, nobody makes a wire backed filter for this engine either.

Dont worry about over torquing the oil cap because you arent. You need that o-ring gasket contact or you'll have oil leaks.

Probably wouldn't hurt to experiment with various brands and see which one holds up the best. Perhaps start with OEM?

Originally Posted By: ZJ JIM 96
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll keep with what I'm doing, and watch for any tears (as in perforations), hoping for no tears (as in crying, which is how I originally read Stewie's reply LOL).

That's one word I wish was not a homonym!

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back