embarrassed to live in NY state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another top NY legislator has been arrested for corruption. I realize he is innocent until proven guilty, but the story in the NY Times paints a guilty picture. Another top NY legislator was arrested a few months and previously (Joe Bruno) was acquitted after a second trial mainly because he was too old (86).

Another legislator was arrested a week or two (he was not a legislative leader) for padding his expense account (when at the capital) to the tune of $40K. If you were sloppy in your record keeping and got a few days wrong here or there it would not be a big deal. But $40K is about 400 days wrong.

I live in NY and read mainly the NY Times but it sure seems like NY is the corrupt capital of the country.

High level corruption is a first world problem.

Down here they had to crack down on low level employees getting greased with $20s to bump people to the front of the tag renewal line. We went full Tijuana down here.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
it sure seems like NY is the corrupt capital of the country.

Nope, it's Georgia and I live here. I think NY wouldn't be a good place to live but at least they are arresting some of the crooks, Georgia not so much.

Last edited:
Good thing you don't live in California ! California is called the land of earthquakes and idiots where the voters are so stupid they vote in tax increases to a corrupt government and its employee unions.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
NY sucks. OOPS did I say that?

Their gun laws sure suck.

Originally Posted By: faltic
Originally Posted By: Donald
it sure seems like NY is the corrupt capital of the country.

Nope, it's Georgia and I live here. I think NY wouldn't be a good place to live but at least they are arresting some of the crooks, Georgia not so much.

Massachusetts. At last count, the last FOUR Speakers of the House went to the can! Several other members of the state legislature and the Boston city council are locked up. (Like the woman caught on video stuffing a cash bribe into her brassiere.)

Originally Posted By: jrmason
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
NY sucks. OOPS did I say that?

Their gun laws sure suck.

Yes the do. Try living in Nassau county and deal with the taxes, utility prices, traffic, pollution, etc..............If it weren't for family and my business I'd be looooooooooonnnnnnnnnng gone.......

At least you haven't had a governor in living memory who offered an appoinment to a US Senate vacancy on open bid, as a certain midwestern state governor did not so many years back.
Given the amount of legal graft available to elected officials at every level, you have to wonder why they engage in clearly illegal shakedowns?
It ain't just New York, either.
I can think of a some very questionable deals in this state that never landed anyone in any kind of legal trouble, including one that was actually vetted by the state's ethics commission.
We need to return to the era of citizen politicians and get rid of those who make a career of it.
They can serve a couple of terms period and then move on to real jobs in the real world with real performance requirements.

At least your legislators are smart enough to talk to. Ours got swindled out of some economic development tax breaks to a mill that was traded and mortgaged 3-4x in a single day between various holding orgs, a mill that closed anyway, putting folks out of work. Some guys from away are now going to keep getting tax breaks until 2020 and we just didn't see it coming.
33.gif

New York is a nice place to visit.

I would visit to climb the top of the Empire State Building, the RCA/GE building, Statue of Liberty, China Town with legit Asian cuisine, shopping Macy's, New York Brownies and Hot Dogs.

I would avoid New Jersey, and would take a train or bus.

I would never live there.

Last edited:
Its everywhere even down here. Its all private interests and "helping" a buddy out. Not that bad when your the buddy but still.

We had some land around here bought by the state to build on. The only problem was the seller and the one signing the checks are old friends and in 3 months the seller made a very good profit off the land.

I did a job many years back for a Sheriff built him a nice storm shelter. He paid for the material, after that never got another dollar from him. Took a big loss on the build. Its a small town tho, he didn't get re-appointed and his property tax increased significantly.

I couldn't live in NY, Illinois or CA. At least here in southern Indiana/Kentucky carrying my gun on my waist is accepted by most. While politics aren't perfect here either, I don't have to worry about someone banning my high capacity mags or fighting my right to carry as Indiana has been steadily moving pro gun legislation through every year.

Not surprised.

Upstate NY is a nice place to live on the whole. There aren't many other places I'd honestly want to live after visiting/living in other states.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
It is too bad people are so down on the places they live.

Our recently reelected 4th term governor in Oregon resigned over allegations of misconduct by his fiance and sweetheart deals for a consultation firm she ran.
It was a trial by media unfortunately. No state hate here. I love Oregon, plus his replacement, Kate Brown, is pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back