Oil shelf life once opened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a jug of Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme synthetic 5W40 this is over a year old. I only took one liter out to top up after an oil change.

The oil is in a dry garage, not heated.

I just want to confirm the oil is OK to use?

IMO.....considering all of the facts.....that oil will last for quite some time. Just make sure to shake it well before using. Add packs in the oil tend to settle over time....whether opened or unopened.

You're so funny, an oil can protect an engine many thousands of miles, but will turn into metal eating acid doing nothing...

Absolutely not, it can protect an engine more many thousands of miles in extreme temperatures, but it turns into poison sitting and doing nothing (sarcasm).

Shake it up and use it. Make sure take it on a good long run to get any condensation that might've somehow formed in the bottle (doubtful), and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: WillB
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
What temperature has it been stored atÉ

Not climate controlled. So everything from -40 - 110F

No problem, shake and use it. The temperature extremes in and engine are way more harsh and oil is fine for a long time in the crankcase. I would say that it would last 5-10 years in a well sealed container. Just shake it every time you use it to top up

Thank you. I had planned to use it on the next oil change to get rid of it. Normally keep Rotella T6 on hand because it is good in gas engines too.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Shake it up and use it. Make sure take it on a good long run to get any condensation that might've somehow formed in the bottle (doubtful), and you'll be fine.

as opposed to the natural mixing that occurs, once it is turned over....

Thanks for all the replies.

Got one from Valvoline too.

tmp_4143-Valvoline%20USA.-903933322_zpsg6h6dnq2.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back