Pro Line PPL-14459 TORN! (CUT OPEN) 5,009.1K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks. Here we have a Pro Line PPL-14459 filter from a co workers 2009 Hyundai Sonata 4 door. Older gentleman, drives cautiously and does 60/40 highway-city driving. He was not pleased to say the least. Just changed his oil about 25 min ago also and put some Nextgen Maxlife 5w30 and a HYUNDAI/KIA blue oem filter on. I told him to come back to me, as this is one of the Purolator "jobbers" and it tore. Oh well, least it did no damage. Car has only 49k on odometer and it turned over 5,009.1 when he arrived for me to change the oil. The ADBV was kinda stiff also. Oil was dark, not too filthy coal black like the parts master though. Did my deed for the day and showed another gentleman all about filters. I sure hope Purolator trys to fix this even though this is a "jobber" or "made by Purolator". Also, manufactured on October 27, 2014 Line "D", 1st shift.

qq1pc9.jpg

35mjj8k.jpg

29ntgfr.jpg

28cki8w.jpg

ezml9c.jpg

25h008o.jpg

i1zj29.jpg

r8782f.jpg

24q5oq1.jpg

2cz21si.jpg

Well it says precision performance products on the side so I guess those holes are for better flow. Like a ram air intake only on a oil filter.

Last edited:
Look at how uneven you cut the can. Clearly you cut the media on purpose with the filter cutter!
wink.gif

Nice HF racing jack in the background btw. My dad bought the 2.5 ton and i find myself using it more than our huge iron clad 3.5 ton jack.

Yeah, I like it. This Pro Line filter if you could tell; I would say possibly was doomed when it was manufactured as the media looks lil' smaller than it should be to my untrained eyes. Maybe I am wrong.

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, I like it. This Pro Line filter if you could tell; I would say possibly was doomed when it was manufactured as the media looks lil' smaller than it should be to my untrained eyes. Maybe I am wrong.
No-the Pro Lines are always a little smaller. Disappointing to see the metal seam crimp, thought the jobbers were glued, shame there's no way to tell which one it has in advance.

Yeah. Bullwinkle; I meant or trying to say, that the metal endcaps seem "overbig, or overbearing" if ya' get what I mean. Yeah, I thought that since it was a late 2014 manufacture, it would be immune; so much for that stupid thought eh LOL!

I like how you inform your customers about the quality of products you use (OEM filter) vs the torn filter you took off.

Yeah man, he dodged a bullet there.. Tell you the truth I used Fram orange extra guard filters on the girls Pontiac Sunfire and they stayed on usually 6k to 7k miles. Guess we got a little bit lucky in that we never had any issue. Should have used a Fram TG instead.. Whoops didn't think of that. Sometimes better to be lucky than good
smile.gif

Nate1979, this gentleman is just a great friend, and has few ailments, so its least I could do. Brought me some homemade food and I gave him my recipe for cornbread so its good. I dont charge friends money for this. Just explain to them what a filter is SUPPOSED to look like LOL!
smile.gif
Thanks for the good comment Nate1979.

bbhero: If I had a Tough Guard for his app, I wouldnt have hesitated to throw it on. Hard to go against the grain shall we say and not use a OEM though
smile.gif

Yeah, tell ya what my dumb tail got lucky using those Fram extra guard filters for 7k miles... No es intelligente.
smile.gif

Yeah good to go with OEM. . ask world champions using aftermarket CVT fluid used in Nissans.. People have jacked them up by not using the NS-2 CVT fluid.. Go with OEM and that is the safe way to go. Especially with transmission fluids.. Or oil filter
smile.gif

Looks like you tore the pleats on both sides of the metal seam. You should have sent it in for a claim before you cut it open. Only costs $10 in postage and about 2 hours of time plus driving parking etc, to mail it in. Can't tell them it's got oil in it though, you need to lie to the post office, but it's OK in this case. Purolatear needs to see the tears, before you do the cutting.

Late October 2014 build, and still tearing. Super wide pleat spacing near the seam ... guess no tweaks made by Purolator to address tearing media.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Looks like you tore the pleats on both sides of the metal seam. You should have sent it in for a claim before you cut it open. Only costs $10 in postage and about 2 hours of time plus driving parking etc, to mail it in. Can't tell them it's got oil in it though, you need to lie to the post office, but it's OK in this case. Purolatear needs to see the tears, before you do the cutting.

Even if Purolator cut open filters themselves and saw tears they probably wouldn't say or do anything anyway. The cricket is their "spokesman".
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back