Lubrizol - second gen. Dexos1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really news, since we've known about the upcoming second gen. Dexos1, but just an official announcement from Lubrizol...

Lubrizol Announces Investment in Development of Second Generation GM dexos1(TM) Formulations

Quote:
Many existing passenger car motor oils for gasoline engines will likely need to be reformulated in order to meet the new dexos1 performance standards, which include:

- Stochastic pre-ignition (SPI) prevention
- Heightened fuel economy limits
- Reduced turbocharger deposits
- Additional testing to ensure durability and cleanliness

[...]

Mandatory transition to the new dexos1 specification is expected in August 2016; current dexos1 certification will expire at that time.

http://newscenter.lubrizol.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=250972&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2041537

http://www.pceo.com/key_specs/dexos1

It says "many oils will need reformulation". Not the good synthetics! Maybe the marginally good synth-blends that just barely meet dexos1 now. They could push that spec to where only a full-syn meets it. Will current dexos1 synth-blends be able to handle the tougher requirements against oxidation and turbo deposits???? We'll see.

Also, ignore the word "Stochastic", thats just an unnecessary adjective we engineers use to indicate its somewhat random. Like when is pre-ignition ever not random? LOL ... Why they dropped that into a list with layman's terms such as "reduced" and "heightened" is beyond me, out of place here. OK, my rant. Sorry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
What is 'marginally good'? Either they meet dexos1 or not. No?

As you and many know, an oil can pass with flying colors or just barely pass, thats all I'm saying. The current dexos1 synth-blends are designed to just meet the spec. The better name brand synthetics pass with room to spare.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: wemay
What is 'marginally good'? Either they meet dexos1 or not. No?

As you and many know, an oil can pass with flying colors or just barely pass, thats all I'm saying. The current dexos1 synth-blends are designed to just meet the spec. The better name brand synthetics pass with room to spare.

Do you have any proof of this, or is it just your opinion?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Do you have any proof of this, or is it just your opinion?

Tests have been published showing relative levels of deposit formation in various oils. As a mechanical engineer myself, I've seen many tech papers (engine studies, fleet results) saying the better basestocks in full-syn oils do indeed reduce deposits and typically reduce wear as well. Its basic knowledge that Group II conventional oils can't pass dexos1, while Group III-IV full syns easily pass it. Syn-blends are somewhere in the middle.

What about the fuel economy part of it, a reduction in the HTHS spec might put some of the "good" synthetics out.
Redline is supposed to be one of the good synthetics and recommended for Dexos1, if the new spec has an HTHS of 3.0 max its out in the cold with its 3.7.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What about the fuel economy part of it, a reduction in the HTHS spec might put some of the "good" synthetics out.
Redline is supposed to be one of the good synthetics and recommended for Dexos1, if the new spec has an HTHS of 3.0 max its out in the cold with its 3.7.

You're right. Euro oils tend to have the high HTHS, ruining fuel economy standards. Just the SN-GF-5-based North American full syns can meet the lower HTHS, still a good selection though with all the "Extended Performance" synth oils on the market.

Quote:
Group II conventional oils can't pass dexos1, while Group III-IV full syns easily pass it. Syn-blends are somewhere in the middle.

And Dexos1 is a Blend of both.

Analogous to the new Dexron-HP ATF, I suspect the Dexos V2.0.1 will have to be majority PAO or a PAO with possibly some of the newer co-base oils such as PAG and polymer esters. Penterathrytol esters may have to be used as well.

The major commercial additive makers will be burning the midnight lamp oil now as they did with additives for the 5W20 and 0W20's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
And Dexos1 is a Blend of both.

dexos1 doesn't actually specify what blend to use. Currently, no pure GroupII can pass all the performance tests. You might be referring to the blends of GroupII-III syn-blends that do pass dexos1 tests. I was simply making the point that current full-syns pass with greater margins on most tests.

I never said the Dexos1 document specified what base oils to use.

What I am saying is that dexos1 as sold is blended with GroupII and GroupIII base oils.

Various ratios of GroupII and GroupIII oils results in various levels of performance, just as various ratios of GroupII and GroupIV, and various ratios of GroupIV and GroupIII, and various ratios of GroupIV and GroupV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back