weird, KIA better than Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
consumer-reports-reliability-list-1.jpg

live life knowing you made the right decision, or second guess yourself and die a sad person.

Any reliability ranking that puts Audi in the top 5 is suspect.

In fact the only time I've ever heard the words "Audi" and "reliable" used in the same sentence is when the word "not" was between them.

Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic cars.
But reliable?
No, that's laughable.

Buick is really kickin a$$ and taking names!

good for them, I enjoy buying 'merican cars. With the current offerings, I see no point in spending more for anything imported

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Any reliability ranking that puts Audi in the top 5 is suspect.

In fact the only time I've ever heard the words "Audi" and "reliable" used in the same sentence is when the word "not" was between them.

Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic cars.
But reliable?
No, that's laughable.

At least, if you own an Audi past the warranty you will never have to suffer the indignity of a cheap repair.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
live life knowing you made the right decision, or second guess yourself and die a sad person.

Now this is a good quote.

Can someone enlighten the group as to why former Chrysler (MB), current Chrysler (Fiat) and all the brands of those owners are usually at the very bottom?

Is it ownership? Poor parts supplier reliability? Poor overall engineering?
You'd think after a while they would have SOME hits in the quality department.

I was always under the impression the Kia was a "lower" end version of Hyundai? That said, its funny to see Toyota right behind Lexus.

I wouldnt mind owning a Kia, but if bought new, you eat a lot of depreciation whereas 'Yoda, not so much.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Can someone enlighten the group as to why former Chrysler (MB), current Chrysler (Fiat) and all the brands of those owners are usually at the very bottom?

The problem is, in order to be rated as reliable, all the quality parts would have to be assembled into a SINGLE automobile. Screw up anywhere, and you are screwed everywhere.

In other words, 1000 "Atta boys" are cancelled by a single "Ah Xxxx!"

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

For right or wrong I have always got the feeling Chrysler spends more on making the car look nice and skimps a bit when it comes to everything else.

Isn't this the same survey that ranks stuff all the same? IE - tossing a rod out at 1000 miles is the same as not having the mental capacity to operate a touch screen radio ...

LOL, Ford. They say they've fixed all that as of Dec 2014.

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/

Meanwhile Wikipedia says "Consumer Reports recommends that no one consider buying used 2011 Ford Edges equipped with MyFord Touch systems.[13] As Ford has expanded availability of its MyFord Touch system to more vehicles (e.g. the 2013 Ford Flex), Consumer Reports has downgraded its ratings for vehicles so equipped.[5]

Early purchasers of the first generation MyFord Touch system complained that MyFord Touch systems crashed without warning, did not reliably respond to touch commands, and often failed to sync with mobile phones and iPods.[3] The March 2012 MyFord Touch upgrade, addressed some of these performance issues, however even the latest MyFord Touch systems (on the 2013 Ford Flex, for example) use capacitive, rather than standard, switches that lack positive feel and are extremely difficult to use with gloves on.[5]"

I say, Welcome Ford, to the Brave New World, where consumers communicate with each other and people actually expect STUFF TO WORK.

I'd rather have to use my brain to operate a touch screen radio than buy a vehicle from Chrysler / Fiat with known bad TIPM issues and a 9 speed automatic transmission that doesn't work.

Hyundai and Kia do share many parts, but it's much more than just simple badge engineering between the two brands.

They aren't quite as integrated as some people think. They even have separate factories here in the U.S., for example.

So, I'm not super surprised that there are some differences.

CR's explanation for this was that Hyun tries or introduces many ideas and/or options, while Kia tends to wait and then pick up on Hyun product uses after they've been tested with Hyun consumers. Seems a reasonable explanation to me.

Saw it on a CR video but can't seem to find it now.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I was always under the impression the Kia was a "lower" end version of Hyundai? That said, its funny to see Toyota right behind Lexus.

I wouldnt mind owning a Kia, but if bought new, you eat a lot of depreciation whereas 'Yoda, not so much.

I thought the opposite! Kia seems to have nicer cars than Hyundai on the ones I have been in. The Optima is a pretty nice car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back