Cracks in tires, should I replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm a BITOG noob, but I've gotten great information from the forum for quite a few years. Since there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, I thought I'd finally register and hopefully get some advice on a particular issue I have.

Recently I was checking my tires over and noticed cracking right under the tread area above the sidewall on all four tires. I've done some reading and severity seems to be a case-by-case basis. One of the tires is a good bit worse than the others, but they all have some cracking. Looking at my picture below (shows the worst of the 4 tires), should I be concerned about possible tread separation? All four tires are 4 years old and have about 50,000 miles on them, but they still have 8/32 or more of tread, so I was hoping to not have to replace them if I don't have to. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

doesn't look more than superficial at the moment.
What tires? and what is the date code on the tires.

and most importantly do you like the tires?

Check with your local authorized tire dealer for your brand of tires. See what they say. There might be a warranty replacement if there's a problem.

Doing some checking might be worth the effort.

They're Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring, made in the 33rd week of 2011. The tires seem decent to me, but I haven't driven the car (2006 Subaru Legacy wagon) with anything else since they were on the car when I bought it. They seem to grip well on dry roads and I haven't noticed any hydroplaning or other issues in the rain, but being all-seasons, they're just ok in the snow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
We would surely like to know what tires still have 8/32 left after 50K?

I should say I THINK they have about that much. When I bought the car the guy said they had around 35k miles (or maybe it was 30k, I don't remember exactly now), and I've put on around 13k, so I just rounded up to 50... and now that we're talking about it, I just remembered I have the receipt from when he bought the tires. I'll have to find it and look at what the mileage was at that time so I know for sure...

Found the receipt. The tires have around 38k miles, not 50k, which makes more sense.

Last edited:
I agree that the tires look OK and check to see if there is any prorating on the tires and/or that they pass state inspection.

There's a Uniroyal dealer down the street so I'll stop in and have them look at the tires and see if they'd be covered under warranty.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
They look just fine to me. I doubt anybody will do anything with a 4 year old tire. There is no reason for them to.

Warranty is 6 years or 55k miles. If they're not bad enough to warranty then I'm ok with that.

i just realized my son's used car came with those same tires, but 2012 date code. no cracks whatsoever, even though it was a florids car with lots of sun damage. my daughter's used car came with 2011 potenzas that has similar small cracks in the shoulders only. also a florida car (miami).

Originally Posted By: MaximusGluteus
Originally Posted By: ccap41
They look just fine to me. I doubt anybody will do anything with a 4 year old tire. There is no reason for them to.

Warranty is 6 years or 55k miles. If they're not bad enough to warranty then I'm ok with that.

I would have a feeling they would prorate them by the miles and if you've gotten over 50k on a 55k tire(I know any money off is better than zero) there would be little to no money to take off. But really, they look just fine. If it is something that makes you uncomfortable, change them. If they don't bother you, leave them. There isn't really a price on peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back