Nissan 3.5 VQ burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 06 Nissan Murano 3.5L VQ engine with 73k miles. It has never burn any oil before. I noticed since my last oil change it has burned about 0.6 quart in 3500 miles. Is this considered high? What could be wrong? I don't push it hard at all. Just use it for daily commute.

Watch the oil consumption. Some Nissan engines start to burn oil as the catalytic converter starts to degrade. The engine pulls in abasive material from the converter through the exhaust valves and this scores the cylinders. If this continues to worsen, see your dealer.

OTOH, it could just be because of the very hot weather. That is actually not much oil to burn in that many miles.

You're getting very similar oil consumption in my Nissan 3.0 VQ. It had no to little oil consumption until around 80k. After which slowly began to increase. Currently 120k I'm at .5 a quart every 5k miles and I'm not complaining one bit.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Watch the oil consumption. Some Nissan engines start to burn oil as the catalytic converter starts to degrade. The engine pulls in abasive material from the converter through the exhaust valves and this scores the cylinders. If this continues to worsen, see your dealer.

Wasn't that just the 2.5L 4-cylinder with the pre-catalyst built into the exhaust manifold? Or did they use that bad idea on the VQ series as well?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Wasn't that just the 2.5L 4-cylinder with the pre-catalyst built into the exhaust manifold? Or did they use that bad idea on the VQ series as well?

I believe you are right. Plus it only happened when the pre-catalytic converter self destructed.

The cat problem affects the vq and the VK series.

0.6 is considered normal.

If it keeps increasing, check the pcv and go from there.

P.s. some of the early vq35 motors were recalled due to excessive consumption. Unsure of they were the de or hr series but worth a google.

My 2001.5 Pathfinder (VQ35DE) consumes about 0.5 quart of oil every 4000 miles. PCV was replaced with OEM about 10k ago.
21.gif

I wouldn't worry about that much oil burning. Mine burns a quart every 1250 miles and Nissan claims that is "normal." While it's not normal to me I always keep an eye on the dipstick and have tried an MMO piston soak along with MMO in the oil.

I believe the piston soak helped a bit. I am trying Kreen next! Hopefully it will help.

Back to the original question... the actual amount of consumption is pretty low. But its the sudden CHANGE that raises a flag. A quart per 2000 is nothing for my big-bore big-block 60s v8s, but if I saw a quart per 6000 in either of the Jeep 4.0s or the Ram 4.7, I'd wonder what changed.

The car miraculously starting using oil because it's a nissan. They're garbage. Or...as a poster on the Maxima forum said; beautiful junk.

My nephews a Nissan Machanic with 15yrs in. Yes burning oils normal for VQ35 not a VQ30. Nissan used softer rings when they changed up and thats your problem, among other things.
Yes it will run to 500k as long as you mount a 55 gallon drum to its roof to get it between oil changes...lol.. Had two 3.0 Nissans and they never burned oil between changes. I swore by these Nissans as Ive had 4-5 and all were just great.
Lucky for freinds & family I was warned they went to [censored] before us buying another one. I went back to Toyota and after my first 200k it still has been trouble free. I should have read the signs on the 3.0 that Nissan was pinching pennies and ditched quality as they stopped using Denso units on everything. So my first Japan built car starter went south and I was shocked to see its Hitachi, no wonder. I upgraded it to Denso and solved that one.
Nissan joined the ranks of Myitchybushies imo...

Rings wear out on these about 160-250k...By then so much powers lost and oil usage is so bad owners get rid of them.Next owners get rid of them asap.(as soon as purchased)..
These arent the valve guides like Myitchybushies its the rings....Todays Nissans are terrible!

As far as Nissan saying a qt every 1250k miles is normal?
Id tell Nissan: A qt every 1250mi would be equal to changing oil "again" between oil changes. So change your manual to say "just change the filter every 7500k and never change oil". Should state in all Nissan manuals, "All Nissan engines have automatic oil changing technology while you drive" ..lol

You can run straight 50 race oil it will not matter. Its still going to burn it.
Tried several grades on freinds Maxima. Once the rings wear enough it will begin fouling plugs and clogging converters. Since you must remove intake plenum to change plugs he sold it at around 125k...His last Nissan too.

This makes sense. My Maxima's VQ30DE started burning oil and getting worst just a year before the pre-cat was finally dead. Need to get the pre-cat checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back