Incompetence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I can see the immediate issue was rectified at a far lower cost, I have to ask - is that a long term solution if the pipe had roots in it? Won't they grow back in a few months?

Honesty and not running up an unnecessary bill will get you a long way and earn you more money through referrals.
Honest work earns loyal customers, those loyal customers tell their friends about you; before you know it you've got more business than you know what to do with!

Hats off to you, sir.

I had the same problem. Rented the 'roto rooter machine' at HD and after a little digging, cleaned out the roots and all was well. The tree got used as fire wood and no problems since. Cost me about $30. They're are exceptional people and slackers, no matter the profession.

I worked IT at my university, and more then half the people, in the department could be set on fire, and the department would work just fine. I wasn't the smartest, greatest, or the most sexy employee, but my boss would send me out of most of the call outs. Because, I wasn't an [censored] to people and actually tried to fix things, troubleshooting, does anyone do that anymore?

Also, my dad is a dr. There are a fair amount of [censored] doctors. That's why I have hearing loss in my both my ears now.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Although I can see the immediate issue was rectified at a far lower cost, I have to ask - is that a long term solution if the pipe had roots in it? Won't they grow back in a few months?

Allow me to quote from my own post:

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I gave the landlord a bid, considerably lower than his previous bid, since it looks like we're not jackhammering the slab.

No question that there are a couple of breaks in the line that need to be repaired. Once we get it opened up, we can run a camera up and down the line and assess the condition of the rest of the pipe, if that's what the owner wants (i.e., will pay for). I don't have a sewer camera, but there's a local guy who specializes in doing camera and location work for plumbers. I've used him before with good results.

Originally Posted By: howie2092
I bet the first 3 plumbers were just not interested in a quick simple $200 job. They wanted to bust up the slab and backhoe the lawn because that is a big juicy $20k job.

Right. If you replace ALL of the pipe, you'll probably solve the problem. Similar to the mechanic who keeps putting on new parts until the problem seems to go away.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yep. I work in healthcare and 20% of all employees shouldn't even be taking care of a sick dog.

20% seems like a very conservative estimate. I've had relatives in the hospital, and I don't mind being the squeaky wheel. Something as simple as getting my mother-in-law a glass of water turned into a game of chicken with the nurses. She had been off liquids for a couple of days, and the doctor said that she could have some water. When we got to the hospital, she had been waiting for over an hour for a drink. I went to the nurses' station and made it clear that I was willing to be a pest until she got some water. Didn't take long then.

OTOH, I believe that I have the world's best family-practice doctor. This is a guy who will call you after hours to see if you're feeling better, or give you test results. As far as I'm concerned, that is above and beyond the call of duty.

A local plumbing shop was called to a residential house that had no drainage whatsoever. Two ladies lived there. The sewage was backed up into the basement. The plumbers ran the snake through the plumbing ~150 feet before they opened up the blockage that was located right at the end of the residential property. In other words, it was blocked right where the residential pipe connects to the main city pipe. The city was almost ready to bring their back hoe to the back alley to dig up their line, but then it suddenly opened.
The blockage happened to be about 50 white mice and once the white mice where removed, it opened up and drained free. Oh, did I mention that two women lived there? Does anybody here know what (in reference to sewer system blockage) white mice are?
Tampons.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Wouldn't they technically be red mice, though?

By the time you pull them out, they're gray, just like everything else. But they do look like little mice hanging by their tails.

I'm curious to hear if the landlord actually moves forward with the proper repair, or calls you back every month to clear it.

Don't even get me started on incompetence.
We have peaked and we are now on the downslope.

Originally Posted By: howie2092
I bet the first 3 plumbers were just not interested in a quick simple $200 job. They wanted to bust up the slab and backhoe the lawn because that is a big juicy $20k job.

My experience with HVAC contractors has been abysmal - I'd say 85% of them recommend a new furnace right away, no matter what. Probably has more to do with sales commission bonus money rather than incompetence. Who wants to replace a $50 switch or valve when you can install a $5k furnace and get a bonus?

+1 for the above comment!!! I think we have a winner here.

Same thing when I had a roof leak. Everybody except one contractor wanted to replace the whole roof. The contractor that I hired was one who would repair the bad spot. That was in 2003, and I haven't had a problem with the roof since then.

I took an electric guitar in to the shop where I was taking lessons to have it set up properly. My ex gave it to me, and it had some sentimental value since it was the first guitar I learned on. Some frets buzzed, the intonation was a little off, and I didn't know much about repairing it myself then. Got it back from their "expert" luthier, and there was no change. He tinkered with it some more, but frets still buzzed. He tried to tell me it was beyond economical repair and I should buy a new one, because it was worn out and might need fret leveling.

Took it to another shop on a recommendation, and the remark from the guy who took it in was "This just had a set up done on it? Wow, this doesn't play right!". No kidding! I explained that it had some sentimental value, and I'd like to fix it up so it plays like it should. Their tech wasn't in when I dropped it off, but they gave him instructions to call me if it needed more than a basic set up. Two days later, they call to say it's all done. Picked it up, and it was perfect! Asked him what he had to do to. "Oh, just need a proper set up, and a little fret leveling. You've got a fine instrument, far from being worn out.".

Seems like a lot of people in the construction field (not saying you as well) just want enough $$$ to squeak by for the week. I imagine they felt the job wasn't worth their time to complete.. Their lose though. They wasted the gas and time assuming they didn't get paid for their efforts.

Very common for the average contractor to want the larger job and dream of bigger.

The smartest know that little jobs lead to referrals and referrals lead to bigger jobs.

Cherry picking leads to unhappiness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back